1966 New Yorker Fuel tank?

Glad you made the SMART decision! I've got the CR20b on my '66 Newport 2 door, with Monroe air shocks and a single exhaust for the 383 and everything fits very nicely. I plan to replace the sending unit IFF a 70 Ohm 12V fuel gauge won't work with it. There are several "universal" sending units which will bolt up to the tank and allow you to pick the impedance and voltage of the fuel gauge. Now iff a working NOS fuel gauge falls from Heaven onto my porch, I'll sing Hosannah and a Gloria in Excelsis, but barring that, I plan to modernize this portion of Mathilda's instrumentation.

You've given me hope for my 66 300. I need a new tank pretty bad.

You've given me hope for my 66 300. I need a new tank pretty bad.

Check with Jim's regarding the tank you need. I ordered a new tank for my '66 300 convertible from them and it fit just fine. However, I also ordered new straps and j-bolts from them too. Of course, the ring / seal around my sending unit is leaking. Make sure you keep / use your old metal ring. It is thicker than the re-pop rings, and it seals better.

I plan to replace the sending unit IFF a 70 Ohm 12V fuel gauge won't work with it. There are several "universal" sending units which will bolt up to the tank and allow you to pick the impedance and voltage of the fuel gauge. Now iff a working NOS fuel gauge falls from Heaven onto my porch, I'll sing Hosannah and a Gloria in Excelsis, but barring that, I plan to modernize this portion of Mathilda's instrumentation.
Spectra is also offering some new sending units for C-body tanks, soemtimes available at the auto parts store or Rock Auto. No need to confabulate an aftermarket sender. Price is very reasonable, too.

Spectra is also offering some new sending units for C-body tanks, soemtimes available at the auto parts store or Rock Auto. No need to confabulate an aftermarket sender. Price is very reasonable, too.
Good to know! Thx.

I have a 66 Newport 2dr also. Did you get new straps for yours? My old ones will not bolt up they are way to short.

I was leaking fuel by the fuel neck. Took down the tank and replaced the grommet with a new one. Its seems to fit tight but not sure if maybe its not pushed in all the way but the point is I still have a small leak where the neck meets the tank. What can I do i could not find any pictures or instruction on how it should look. The neck does have a small small bump around the circumference. Should that bump be on the inside of the grommet or the outside.

The bump should be on the out side of the grommet. Did you check the tank for any debris from the old grommet before installing the new one?
Is the filler neck strap screwed back in place in the trunk?

No on the checking, I did drain all of the fuel and shaked it a bit to make sure everything was out but No. YES filler neck is screwed back into place, I put it in place before making the final tightening of the j Bolts. I also replaced the sending unit the old one was completely eaten up. No leaks yet from the sending unit but I have not completely filled up the tank.

Are you 100% sure it is coming from the neck. Mine was leaking from the sending unit and I thought it was coming from the neck because it is the low point.

I hope you used the original retaining ring for the sending unit, the new repops are worthless, and won't get it tight enough. It will leak from the sending unit.

Yes positive its coming from the neck I was under the car. Its does travel by way of the lip and falls in the front by the sending unit but the leak is in the neck. Yes I bought the new retaining ring because everywhere I saw it said you had to replace that. When I tried putting it in it does not clamp down right so I went with the new rubber seal and the old retention ring.

NOT SURE IF THESE PICTURES WILL HELP AT ALL BUT HERE ARE A COUPLE. QUESTION WOULD BE WISE TO PUT SOME GUNK AT THE BASE OF THE NECK BEFORE IT GOES INTO THE TANK. THINKING SOME SEALING PUDDY OR INSTANT WELD OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO PREVENT THE LEAKING.

20200611_162206.jpg

There is something wrong with the fit of the filler neck and the tank. The bump in the filler neck should be flush up against the bevel in the grommet. Is the tank fitting up against the trunk floor?

I agree, your neck is not aligned properly with the grommet. Not even close.

Wiggle the neck in place, seating it properly, then twist/wiggle to align the attachment screw. It may take some effort, but should 'fall' into the proper location within a few tries.

There is a of of variation in tanks and filler necks in C-bodies, from year to year, and sometimes between carlines of the same model year. Do you have the correct filler neck?

I will try and wiggle it some more. It looks like the neck and tank are original to the car so it should he the right parts.

Back