1966 New Yorker Fuel tank?

I honestly couldn't get my hands in there to seat my new gasket. I took mine to my local mechanic who is a small man with smaller hands and along with his lift he was able to get it seated properly.

I physically could not do it.

NOT SURE IF THESE PICTURES WILL HELP AT ALL BUT HERE ARE A COUPLE. QUESTION WOULD BE WISE TO PUT SOME GUNK AT THE BASE OF THE NECK BEFORE IT GOES INTO THE TANK. THINKING SOME SEALING PUDDY OR INSTANT WELD OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO PREVENT THE LEAKING.

View attachment 381891
E26513D4-7039-459F-B714-8C12A47E9470.jpeg

Took it back out a couple times and finally got it to stop leaking. In the struggle I caused a leak with the straps. Used epoxy to seal the leak and its was good. Had to take off the bumper to get good angle on the neck to get it in right.

I have a 66 new yorker 4dr. Came with the tank mildly crushed and sitting beside the car.

I've ordered the cr20b tank, sending unit for the 66 with 5/16 hook ups and straps for the 67 tank. I do have the original straps in good shape for the 66 tank.

One way or another this is all going in )). Not sure which straps are going to work better but I'll try them both and post the results

You did WELL to order a NEW tank. Once they start leaking, toss 'em. I've used a few lbs of grey epoxy in my day on leaky gas tanks, and it may do for a season or 2, but the rust always spreads and the leaks worsen. Does your new one come with 1, 2, 3 or 4 vents? That seems to be the only real difference in the pre-Formal tanks, as best as I can recall from shopping them/ Thus far, I've been blessed with a fairly NEW tank that came on Mathilda to help sell her. I got a HELL of a good deal, as it turned out.

I look forward to your report.

Old tank was 2 vent, matches with the cr20b. Only difference I know of so far is the length.

Might be some spring issues as well with clearance. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get into the shop for love time.

Back