1966 Plymouth Fury VIP | Headlamps Not Working

Reaction score
Howdy,

Are the light and wiper switches on the same circuit?

Why am I asking this? I am asking this because my headlamps stopped working after I removed my wiper motor to troubleshoot the wipers. Also, I did not disconnect the wiper motor from the bulkhead so it is still connected just not mounted to the firewall. Both switches seem to be on the same unit in the dashboard.

Even the dimmer switch on the floor didn't work either.

When I turned on the wipers the arms only moved a tiny bit. I removed the wiper motor just to find out that the arms aren't seized. I then grounded the body of the wiper motor to a bolt on the fender, turned on the wiper switch, and the motor spun freely with no problem.

This seems to be some electrical ground issue, could it be that the wiper motor not being grounded to the firewall, would cause the headlamps not to work?

I'm still gonna clean up the wiper motor and firewall and put the wiper motor back in.

Of course I find out that my headlamps aren't working when I'm showing the car to a buyer.

When I last knew the lamps to be working it was like 80 degrees outside but today it was in the 20s.

Low beams don't work? High beams don't work? Or just "nothing" on either choice?

www.mymopar.com has (free) downloadable factory service manuals. Find the one closest to your model year and peruse the excellent Chrysler wiring schematics to determine what feeds from which circuit.

Might even be a simple as a faulty dimmer switch?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Low beams don't work? High beams don't work? Or just "nothing" on either choice?

www.mymopar.com has (free) downloadable factory service manuals. Find the one closest to your model year and peruse the excellent Chrysler wiring schematics to determine what feeds from which circuit.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thanks for your input. I did have the factory service manual and I traced out the wiring schematics but couldn't find any relation between the lights and wipers. I never replaced the dimmer switch its probably oem so you do have a point that the switch might've gone out at such a perfect time. But, I will get back to my thread when I have the wiper motor back in.

Not sure of the wiper issue but if your floor dimmer switch becomes unplugged, that will cause the no headlight issue but with both having issues, I would suspect the firewall connections first. Poor connections and bad grounds cause most of out electrical problems.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Not sure of the wiper issue but if your floor dimmer switch becomes unplugged, that will cause the no headlight issue but with both having issues, I would suspect the firewall connections first. Poor connections and bad grounds cause most of out electrical problems.
I put the wiper motor back in today and the headlamps started working again. :wtf:

Well, that answers my thread. I don't know if that ground through the wiper motor is stock or if that means that this car is ready to go to Mars.

Buyer's happy though, I got payed.

I believe that when you were working on the wiper motor, you disturbed the firewall plug. Since the wiper harness and the headlight harness both plug into the same firewall plug, I would bet on some dirty or corroded connections in the firewall connector. It really should get looked at more closely.

Back