1966 Town and Country Cooling system information

66Yelwsub

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am wanting to remove the electric fan set up on my wagon and unfortunately I threw away all the factory stuff years ago. I am needing some information on the factory cooling system for a 1966 town and country with the 383 no a/c and a 22" radiator.

My questions are what size spacer do I need for the mechanical fan?
What diameter fan can I use? (planning on buying a felxalite style fan)
Where can I find a factory or new aftermarket fan shroud for the 22" radiator.

Howdy, not sure about a few of your questions, BUT I strongly recommend NOT getting a flex fan. Back in the middle 1970s, I though I wanted to go that way on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl a/c Town Sedan. Got the premium stanless steel Flex-A-Lite fan of the correct diameter, the spacer to place the fan near the rear of the fan shroud, and all of that.

The fan was very noisy. Even with the 2.76 rear axle ratio, by the time I got to 60mph, it sounded like a jet was getting ready for takeoff. Kind of neat at first, but not after a while. Varied the spacer width to no avail. Ended up taking it off and getting a quality OEM-spec fan clutch and the orig fan back on the car and never looked back.

The PLUS of the flex fan was that it moved massive amounts of air. Even in the middle of TX July, after an hour's drive at freeway speeds, I could stop the car, raise the hood, and take off the air cleaner without any quick moves due to handling something hot. That was impressive, but at a cost of sound level.

You can free-download the Chrysler factory service manual at www.mymopar.com, if needed.

Just some experiences,
CBODY67

the '66 3383 2BBL usually ran a four blade fan with the 22" radiator and no A/C. That should work fine as long as the radiator is in good shape. These days a re-core job with the correct brass radiator runs about $800.

Dave

Saw a flex fan go through the hood of a friend's Nova once.. Shortly after that, a local guy was killed from a flex fan exploding while he was timing the car.

Needless to say, I won't use one and recommend to folks that they don't use one either.

If its the same OE shroud I have on my 66 fury I have an extra one in good shape. I can send pics with measurements if interested, and you can have for whatever the cost of shipping and a box is.

a little dirty from sitting in storage and one of the corner mount locations is split but will still mount fine with a washer under the nut.

IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm in Glendale which is the northwest metro phoenix area. That would be fine just PM me and I will give directions.

Back