1967 Chrysler Newport

Need some electrical advice.
Here is what I did today:
1. Changed the plugs and 4 were fouled.
2. New battery.
3. Checked all fluids.
4. Started the engine (it took several trys) and it was a little noisy for about 5 sec then smooth out. Let the engine run for about 15 minutes until the temperature light went out (I prefer a gauge). Shut it off and re-started it a couple of times without any problems.
5. I was going to start it one more time before I left the shop. I turned the key and the instrument lights came on, but when I turned the ignition I lost all instrument lights and no power to the key. Dead as a door nail!
6. Battery checks 12.33 volts. So, I need some direction. How do I track down my problem. Electrical is my weak point.
Sorry for the long post.
rsh1966vip

Detmatt mentioned runner brake lines. If they haven't been replaced recently, relate them. Brakes aren't something you want to fail.

When you said it was "dead as a door nail". Do you mean absolutely no power anywhere. I would first look at the ignition switch. Reach up under the dash and wiggle the wires connecting to the back.

A very important maintenance item would be to take the bulkhead connector apart and check for corrosion. It is located on the firewall on the driver side below the brake booster. It comes off in three pieces. Clean it up and put some De-oxit in it before putting it back together.

At some point you will also want to do an ampmeter bypass. Fairly simply modification that lightens the load on the old wiring harness. Search it and will find a thread by @cbarge.

Need some electrical advice.
Here is what I did today:
1. Changed the plugs and 4 were fouled.
2. New battery.
3. Checked all fluids.
4. Started the engine (it took several trys) and it was a little noisy for about 5 sec then smooth out. Let the engine run for about 15 minutes until the temperature light went out (I prefer a gauge). Shut it off and re-started it a couple of times without any problems.
5. I was going to start it one more time before I left the shop. I turned the key and the instrument lights came on, but when I turned the ignition I lost all instrument lights and no power to the key. Dead as a door nail!
6. Battery checks 12.33 volts. So, I need some direction. How do I track down my problem. Electrical is my weak point.
Sorry for the long post.
rsh1966vip

I am betting the ammeter took a dump.
When a car has been sitting for a long time and you apply juice to the electrical system it is not uncommon the ammeter shorts out.
When it does everything goes dead.

Follow this simple repair and carry on..
Underhood Ammeter Bypass

Those are all good suggestions, but the first thing I'd check would be the battery cable connections. You just messed with them putting in a new battery, and that's much easier to check than anything under the dash. ;) Start with the easy stuff first.

You have a beautiful car! Lots of good advice too. Keep up the good work. I am 70 years old and have had cardiac issues, but I tell friends that I can do almost anything I want- it just takes longer!
Lindsay
Hope this goes through to 66Fury. I myself use the ‘ I can do almost anything I want’ quote with added ‘just need more shutdown room’ LoL

I can still get under old cars but it take me a long time to get back up.

I hear you brother! No matter how many tools I place on the floor with me, I still have to get up and get the one I needed.

As far as the brakes, you might want to get the drums turned if the rust is very deep. If it is shallow, then sandpaper the daylights out of them. The shoes look to be wearing evenly, so I would lightly sandpaper them (preferably outside and up wind). A particle mask would be helpful,

Enjoy
Omni

So, I just got my 67 Chrysler Newport back from the shop. I had my electrical expert fix my problem at the bulk head. He cleaned up the battery connections and I think I am good to go. I filled it up with non-ethanol and covered it up for the winter.
Now I am waiting for my 66 Plymouth VIP to come out of the shop. I will probably be after Christmas, however it is something to look forward to. The 383 was replaced by a 400 with a four barrel, mild cam and a new electronic distributer and a few more things to do.
rsh1966vip

I got my electrical issues (loose wiring at the ammeter) handled. Corrected some bulkhead wiring and put new cable connections on. I think I will cover the car up for the winter.

rsh1966vip

Back