NOT MINE 1967 Dodge Monaco 500 2-dr HT $3500 CAD ($2500 USD) Saint-Athanase Quebec

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
1967 Dodge Monaco 500 $3500 CAD ($2500 USD) Saint-Athanase Quebec

Translated to English: No need to click to find out if it's available, it's available
Very solid rockers, only need frame rails, Engine runs well
---------------

This is about 240 miles due north of Bangor Maine, about 130 miles north-east of Quebec city.

There's a lot here that makes this car a Monaco 500 so I don't doubt it. But I do find it curious that the chrome trim that should be on the C pillar that separates the roof and the body does not seem to be there. These are the only 2 photos from the ad. Engine/trans not mentioned.

e800140f-8e32-455b-a8ba-1957bfd5ddd6.jpg

73e19c5b-d0a9-4a7d-b691-ad00cd60a185.jpg

Was that trim for a car with a vinyl roof?
No. Not to my knowledge. Monaco's that had 2-tone paint had the trim, I'm pretty sure that single-color had the trim also. And yes you'd need the trim for vinyl roof.

I didn't think that Polara's ever had that trim, which would mean they were never offered with 2-tone paint or vinyl roof, but maybe I'm completely wrong about that.....

One of the reasons that car still exists is it never had a vinyl top,hence no C pillar trim
Vinyl tops were a popular option but not all liked it, or wanted to pay for it, lol.
Fender tag will tell if it was born with the vinyl.
Roofs of vivyl top cars were never painted abdthat gave rust a head start to eat away at a car.

No. Not to my knowledge. Monaco's that had 2-tone paint had the trim, I'm pretty sure that single-color had the trim also. And yes you'd need the trim for vinyl roof.

I didn't think that Polara's ever had that trim, which would mean they were never offered with 2-tone paint or vinyl roof, but maybe I'm completely wrong about that.....
The Canadian Polara 500 2dr fastop was not available with a vinyl top. Says so in the brochure...
An shows a Pokara 500 with minimal trim.

20231105_100156.jpg

20231105_100217.jpg

Huh.

I had long thought that if there was one trim item that defined a Monaco vs Polara, regardless if US or Canada, was that C-pillar trim. I just assumed that all Monaco's (single-tone and 2-tone and vinyl) had the trim, and no Polara's ever had the trim. Now I see that not even a single-tone Monaco 500 got the trim. (I think that trim looks sharp!).

So the rule must be - you got the trim if the car was 2-tone or vinyl roof. If Polara's didn't get vinyl roof, did they have 2-tone paint option?

What is that trim (or paint?) line on the side of that white Monaco in the above post? I've never seen that feature before.

In the US, you could order a Polara with a two tone paint combo, except convertibles, same as a Monaco in '67.

The trim is there to separate the body color from the vinyl, it would look pretty weird just ending, so trim was used. Same.with the two tone paint. With one solid color, it gets in the way. I prefer the monotone paint scheme, it just looks smoother overall.

Now, if you go back a year, all '66 Polara and Monacos got trim at the base of the C pillar, but the roof mounts lower than later years, so the trim covers up the seam.

As I think everybody knows, this is a Windsor built car. There used to be a number of Monaco 500s around Windsor in the day. I don't recall ever seeing any of them with a vinyl roof or the mouldings at the base of the C pillars. The car looks pretty stock to me.

Back