1967 Monaco (assorted restoration questions)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Instead of starting a bunch of threads on separate topics I'll just post a laundry list of questions and observations I have as I putz with my '67 Monaco (2-dr) for the first time in over 20 years before I put it back into storage (for how long?). This time I've promised the Green Hornet I'll put it on blocks so the tires don't go flat and put card board and pans under it to catch drips.

Feel free to chime in on any of these topics.

==============

I've had this idea of buying bulk silica gel beads to use as a desicant (atmospheric water absorber) to make car storage as dry as possible. My go-to solution would have been to buy some cat litter that is actually silica gel beads (typically called crystal cat litter) but I can't find any for sale. Looking for suggestions for alternative suppliers / sources.

==============

I've noticed that the brake pedal is somewhat tardy in returning or rising after being depressed, sometimes leaving the brake lights on. Is there a return spring I should be looking at / adjusting here?

===============

I had new seat covers made (this was like in 1987) using the closest fabrics and patterns the shop could find, and they still look great, and I would have made sure the springs (this is bench seat) were all correct, but sitting in the car now I think I'd like to reinforce the springs or the seating area somehow. Would involve taking the seat out, probably also take the cover off, somewhat of a major job, have others done this?

==============

What does the "correct" power-bench-seat switch for a '67 Monaco look like, and where was it mounted?

===============

rock auto recommendations rubber suspension parts, wheel bearings, u-joints (lots of choices for the same part, different manufacturers). I've gone through my stash of new parts (that I've never installed) and found upper ball joint, upper and lower control arm bushings, idler arm. I think I did one side years ago, but didn't get around to doing the other side.

================

What is done with antenna these days? Delete it? Aftermarket power antenna? I've got a hole in the fender where the antenna goes and I need to figure out what I'm going to do about it.

================

I remember not being able to get the gear shift lever indicator to fully land on all the indicators (P,R,N, D, 1, 2) so I adjusted it to best land on P, R, N, and almost D properly (but way off on 1 and 2). Is it just me, or can the indicator line up correctly across them all?

==================

'67 rear tail light (red plastic lens) - I've seen different versions of those. Maybe the Monaco 500 had a different lens than regular Monaco? 4-door vs 2-door vs convertible? Is there anything definative on that? I think maybe even the metal housing was different (or looked different or was plated or painted differently) in some cases?

=================

Rear window power switches - can't mount through metal frame with connectors on? One of the things I didn't get to finish years ago was installing the rear seat window switches, and now I see why. I can pull the connector through the hole in the side trim and plug it into the switch, but I can't push it back through the hole (with metal holder frame) because the connector is too big. This car was originally manual-crank windows, I changed them to power windows years ago, got the parts from a junkyard. I can take a photo of this to show what I'm dealing with.

==============

I've pulled the fuel tank out of the car, it's been the source of the very strong turpentine smell. There was still about 2 gallons of what used to be gasoline in it, I drained that to a jerry can, will see if the lawnmower will run on it. I flushed the tank with lots of soapy water, took the sender unit out. I can't believe the cruddy condition of the unit (I have new unit) and the crap in the tank, like mud, several cups worth. Yuk. I'll be calling around in the next few days, see who locally can repair tanks. Was wondering if there's any particular treatment I should be asking for (internal, chemistry wise, to clean it, to stabilize it, restore it, etc) beyond getting the leaks fixed. If at all possible I'll ask for a drain valve to be installed.

Interesting list!

As for the silica gel kitty litter . . . it needs to be kept away from moisture until it is to be used. If it is exposed to the open air, its ability to absorb moisture decreases, unlike getting active fluid on it in its purpose as a kitty litter item. Not unlike leaving a receiver-drier open to the ambient air compromising the ability to remove moisture from an evacuated and then re-charged a/c system.

Will the car be in a closed building? Perhaos a plug-in dehumidifier might work better?

On my '70 Monaco, after I carefully disengage the power window switch from the metal surround in the door panel, I can remove the switch and plug-in carefully from the door panel and get enough room to carefully remove the electrical connector. The wiring comes in from an angle, not from directly behind the switch, so things happen good in that respect.

I suspect the power seat switch is in the lh lower surround moulding for the seat cushion, for a bench seat or lh power split bench/bucket. Might download a parts book at www.myumopar.com and look in the seating area for illustrations? Or perhaps, too, in the Order Guide at www.hamtramck-historical.com? Or the sales brochure links at www.eatondetroitspring.com (go to the order page, using the drop-down menus, and then the link to the sales brochure is at the dfar rh end of that menu bar)? The parts book and the sales brochure might answer some of your other questions, too.

From my experiences on adjusting the gear selector needle on several differnet cars, including our '66 Newport, the needle and the quadrant do not always line up. So getting it to best align with "N" and "D" can be the best thing to do, possibly, as by the time you get to "1", it will not be completely accurate.

As for gas tank cleaning/repairing, there might be a larger radiator shop that also does gas tanks in your region. Probably does work for the over-the-road truck service industry, too?

Radio antenna? Have to find a used or NOS compkete kit, somewhere. The main mast, the "adapter" that goes on top of the fender, gasket for same, and the retention mechanism on the under-side of the fender for the adapter to mate with and the nut to tighten against. Plus some new lead-in coax, possibly. Perhaps . . . you can use the underside items and base from one of the Fuselage cars so you can have a replaceabie mast, replaceable from the TOP side rather than like came with the car? Finding the adapter plate to match your fender contours can be the trick, though. More salvage yard searches . . .

The rubber suspension bushings? If they are the same age as the ones already installed, might go ahead and use them as the rubber will have aged similarly, just in a box?

Perhaps others might have some suggestions, too?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

What he said, and more.

==============

I've noticed that the brake pedal is somewhat tardy in returning or rising after being depressed, sometimes leaving the brake lights on. Is there a return spring I should be looking at / adjusting here?

Your master cylinder is getting old and sticky inside. As long as it doesn't leak out the backside it's still ok, but probably time to rebuild or replace.

In the meantime, you can take about a foot long USA made Silverline bungie and find a way to make the pedal retract, I've doe this to multiple rigs before because the sticky brake pedal means the brake lights stay on, will kill battery in a pretty short time while parked.

What is done with antenna these days? Delete it? Aftermarket power antenna? I've got a hole in the fender where the antenna goes and I need to figure out what I'm going to do about it.

Lots of antenna options. Power antennas are a no for me. Everytime you start or stop engine or tunr radio on and off, up, down, up, down, then stripped gears and noise, no thanks.

The magic antenna length is 30" and there are many NOS 30" masts available on eBay, as well as complete antennas.

Because of the challenging area where we're at for reception, I've had pretty good luck with a 3pc mast that goes to 53" and has a spring on the bottom. Just bought one the other day at a parts store for $22.

I drained that to a jerry can, will see if the lawnmower will run on it.

Only do this if you want to destroy your lawnmower, otherwise dispose of that toxic bad gas properly at the dump toxic waste turn in tables.

Was wondering if there's any particular treatment I should be asking for

As mentioned, a rad shop will boil the tank out, check it for pin holes, fix as needed.

67 C body antennas were actually reproduced...so theres stuff out here but its not cheap...unlike my 68 that has a one year oversized hole ...the hole in your fender being smaller should accept most generic replacement antennas

I have some antenna bezels that are are old MOPAR, what do the C body pieces look like?

I've pulled the fuel tank out of the car, it's been the source of the very strong turpentine smell. There was still about 2 gallons of what used to be gasoline in it, I drained that to a jerry can, will see if the lawnmower will run on it. I flushed the tank with lots of soapy water, took the sender unit out. I can't believe the cruddy condition of the unit (I have new unit) and the crap in the tank, like mud, several cups worth. Yuk. I'll be calling around in the next few days, see who locally can repair tanks. Was wondering if there's any particular treatment I should be asking for (internal, chemistry wise, to clean it, to stabilize it, restore it, etc) beyond getting the leaks fixed. If at all possible I'll ask for a drain valve to be installed.
Just have them clean it out.
$200-$300 to coat the interior of the tank is a rip off.

In the early days of "tank interior coatings", if the rust did not get all removed, when the tank was coated to seal it, after a few years, that seal coat would flake off and clog fuel filters. Something to think about! New tanks are around at about $300.00 or so, so price shop and seek "free shipping" if possible.

The priciest fix is from Gas Tank ReNew. You ship them the tank and they cut it open at the seams, clean it completely, then put an OEM coating in them, as new, and put it all back together. Then ship it back to you. When I found out about that in the 1990s, the cost was about $500.00+ and the only real good option for tanks that were not being reproduced at that time.

For the gas tank I've ordered another locking ring and gasket from rockauto. I have a new sending unit (bought years ago, probably at a swap meet) but it doesn't have the push-on plastic filter on the end of the pickup tube. I'll have to re-use my old one. The filller-neck grommet / seal is pretty beat up, I'll have to re-use it if I can't find a retail source (rock doesn't have it). I remember years ago that interior tank coatings were a thing.

Turns out I did put in a power antenna, but for some reason I either didn't mount the external ring or I did but then took it off and let the antenna slide down (a little) into the fender where it currently sits. There must have been something about the external ring I didn't like, maybe the fit, I don't know. I do have what looks like a new antenna (just the rod part, with screw-base). It is 31" long. I'm not sure if I have all the rest of the parts for it. I don't think this car originally had a radio.

Here's what I'm dealing with regarding the rear-seat window switches:

w-switch-2.jpg

I don't know how these connectors were originally mounted - they're too big to push through the metal trim frame. These probably came out of a Newport, don't know what years they would have been for, certainly '67 but maybe '66 through 68?

I've also ordered a new transmission mount. Something looks wrong with mine:

trans-mount.jpg

How do you exactly replace this sway-bar bushing?

swaybar-bush.jpg

And are these available?

swaybar-bush2.jpg

strut-bush.jpg

Per 67 Monaco/Polara taillights: it has been my understanding that Monaco carried This lens:
92D261D0-283F-42A2-9B6A-C5B1CD595FBD.jpeg

Where the polara carried this one:
CC6A9FFB-0D46-4A07-9D05-C8621E719CFC.jpeg

There are however a lot of Monaco 500s I’ve seen that have these taillights. Being that either are stupid hard to find, I always assumed people went with whatever they could find.

I’ve got a Monaco 500 I’m working in and happened across a set from an abandoned sedan. The buckets were bad and the chrome was either toast or missing so I just combined the actual lens with what was good of mine … bout the best I can hope for.

Per 67 Monaco/Polara taillights: it has been my understanding that Monaco carried This lens:
View attachment 561414
Where the polara carried this one:
View attachment 561415
There are however a lot of Monaco 500s I’ve seen that have these taillights. Being that either are stupid hard to find, I always assumed people went with whatever they could find.

I’ve got a Monaco 500 I’m working in and happened across a set from an abandoned sedan. The buckets were bad and the chrome was either toast or missing so I just combined the actual lens with what was good of mine … bout the best I can hope for.

If there's one thing I'd like here is to connect with "Canadian '67 Monaco aficionado's / experts" and ask them if Canadian Monaco's were optioned differently vs US cars.

My '67 Monaco was bought new by my dad, in the summer of '67. It was on the dealer lot, it was not customer ordered (at least not by my dad). So it's likely the dealer would want the car to move to make way for the '68 models.

My car had a polysphere 318. That engine should have been retired by Chrysler in 1966 but I've read were it did show up on Canadian cars in '67. And beyond that, the Monaco was not supposed to come with a 318 in the first place! The base engine was the 383. But here in Canada, I get the feeling that things were downgraded in terms of engine size for a variety of reasons (maybe even displacement tax?). I had a '65 4-door Polara at the same time I was working on the Monaco back in 84-88 and the Polara (a "Custom 440") had a slant-6 (and maybe even the instrument cluster came from Plymouth?).

I had the vague impression that in the British commonwealth (including Canada) they taxed cars based on engine piston cross-section, not displacement, and the slant-6 had a long stroke as a way to somewhat cheat this tax. If a slant-6 wasn't offered in US Polara's in '65 then again this would be another example of down-grading the base engine option in Canada vs US.

Ok, beyond the engine differences were the tail lights !!!

I remember when I was going to swap meets (Moparfest in New Hamburg, Chryslers at Carlyle, etc) and seeing '67 Monacos with completely different tail lens than I had. I didn't realize that I had Polara lenses!

Now I knew there was the Monaco 500 (with wider lower trim and different hubcaps) and maybe they had the fancy (or at least different lens) but then I realize that some of these plastic red lenses have what looks like chrome painted ring (like in your photo) and some didn't.

A couple other hints - the presence or absence of bumper guards front and back (I have them) and "Monaco" in raised plastic script on the center panel of the glove box door (I've seen and have identical doors with no badge). The "Monaco" badge on the rear roof pillars (that could be easily changed by a dealer).

My Monaco did not have a radio (not sure if my dad asked that it be taken out to save money, I'll have to ask him). Were AM radios standard on the Monaco, but optional on the Polara?

My Monaco does have an analog clock in the instrument cluster (I've seen similar clusters without the clock). Did Polara's have a clock?

I've got I think 2 extra sets of rear tail lights (metal frame and lenses) but I think they're going to be the "Polara" style. I've got a lot of extra parts that should go to a better home, I don't know if it's worth it to catalog it all or just wait for people to ask me about this or that.

But really, what is the real deal with Canadian '67 Monaco's vs their US cousins?

I'm looking at the "Dodge Rebellion Operation '67 Polara / Monaco" promotional brochure, something I've had for years. It's about the size of an LP record album. This was probably for US consumption.

===========
First page shows a 2-door hard top Polara. It does not have the narrow belt-line trim strip, it does have regular lower edge and wheel-well trim. It does have bumper guards. It has some sort of chrome detail item on the very front of the side of the front fenders. It has different hubcaps than I have. No antenna. Front grill is identical to my Monaco.

"Polara's a real trend setter with an all-new look up front - that's revolutionary, even for a Dodge. A silky smooth 383 V8 that runs on regular gas is standard * (except for polara 4-door 318)."

Next page shows rear view of 2-door Polara convertable. I see my tail lights, no body-belt trim. I also see passenger-side rear view mirror(!). This car has bucket seats (could you get a bench seat in a convertible?). I see "Polara" on the glove box door. I see radio (no fader dial). I see power window switches and remote mirror adjuster.

Next page shows Polara 2 door hard top in profile (white). Bucket seats, again no belt-line trim, no antenna (maybe they always air-brushed the antenna's out of these pics?). Power windows.

Next page - Polara 500.

"For 1967, Dodge offers you 9 great Polara models. Two of them carry the special "500" identification (2-dr hard top and convertible). Both with a choice of 2 or 3 place front bucket seats (3-passenger front bucket seating? What did that look like?).

Illustrations (of the two Polara 500 models) do not show passenger-side rear view mirror. The convertible has top fender-mounted turn signal indicators. Polara 500 standard is 6-way mechanical bucket seats (no mention anywhere of power seats). Illuminated ignition switch (?)

Next page - still all about the Polara.

Now this is somewhat interesting. Showing 4-door (hard top and sedan) and 2-door convertible, all with front bench seats. All of these show what I consider to be Monaco hubcaps. The 4-door sedan is available with 318.

Standard equipment is acrylic enamel, 20 colors.

The next few pages are Monaco. I see the different rear tail lights, I see a photo of what looks like a convertible with bench seat and in-dash vents - lots of dash controls, possibly in-dash A/C ?

"Front ashtray that glides out effortlessly on ball bearings" !

I see no mention of Monaco having power seats, nor Monaco or Polara having power (vacuum) trunk release. Some Monaco models seem to have body belt-line chrome (Monaco 500 seems to offer pin striping, not chrome strip). Monaco-500 hubcaps seem to be the same as all the Polara hubcaps. Station wagon hubcaps are again completely different.

On the back inside page are various details, options and accessories. Under Comfort and Convienence is "Electric door locks" and 6-way power seat bench type and driver's bucket seat. Auto Pilot Speed control (I have two speed controls / servos pulled from junk yard cars, haven't tried to install them).

I've never come across power door locks that I could pull, nor a power unit for the vent windows (maybe only Imperial had them?).

So my Monaco front grill and rear tail lights are exactly what is shown for US Polara's, but I do have body-belt chrome strip and Monaco hubcaps.

Good idea on Looking to other Canadian Monaco owners. They were optioned differently in Canada. Some Canadian Dodge’s used Fury parts.

As for your seats. Here’s a thread where I rebuilt my’68 Polara seats. It will show you the factory construction and some tips. I put mine back as they were built in the factory. There are easier and more modern ways, but this should give you some tips.
Epic 68 Polara bench seat rebuild for originality

A few more random observations / questions.

First, HWYCRZR that is an amazing and painstaking job on your seats. My original covers weren't in such bad shape, I got a set made locally (Windsor, Ont) based on the originals, and with the help of my mom (who took some upholstery courses to recover some of our furnature) we reassembled the seats with the new covers. This was in about 1987 (so 35 years ago). This is how they look today:

67-monaco-interior-1.jpg

67-monaco-interior-2.jpg

My seats had a combination of vinyl (or "leatherette") and fabric. The original fabric had more of a sheen than what was used here. This fabric has a velvet feel to it. But I remember the stretching and the hog clips. And welding a few broken springs.

Do you see the felt strip on the rear window? Where can I get that?

Seat Belts: On one junkyard car there was a shoulder belt setup that I pulled. The belt could be detached separately and clipped to a holder that was part of the sun visor mounting plate. I had a nut welded to the roof where I could mount this shoulder belt. I'm not sure which cars or what year this was offered as an option or came as standard (when were shoulder belts made manditory?)

On to the random observations - the dashboard bezels and controls. Here's a photo of a couple of spare bezels I have:

dash-1.jpg

Note that the top one has used more black paint (on the switches and center panel). I have a full dash set for this, but I don't know what car it came from. Possibly a Newport or New Yorker? Or maybe '68 Monaco / Polara? Note the different cut-out in the upper right (to the right of the radio). Normally what is there is a front/back fader dial. On the top bezel it looks like there was more there. Also the radio cut-out is different. Different radio? And no "R. Air" switch. I have the R. Air switch, but I'm a little fuzzy on what it does. This was obviously an option, but I'm not sure what it does.

Is it true that the '68 Polara / Monaco doesn't have the "flow through air" that the '67 does? (ie grill under the rear window) ?

The smaller dash panel (on the far left of the dashboard that has the headlight switch) - I've seen a version of it that has 3 switches across the top (instead of the usual single switch for the 4-way flasher). That panel also had a vent in the center, for A/C probably. What were the 2 extra switches for? (the car I saw this on was not a convertible).

Lastly, I note that "MONACO" was sometimes spelled out on the trunk (with a stainless trim strip running under it on the lower edge) and sometimes it was just "DODGE" (with no trim strip). Was there any rhyme or reason for that?

Last edited:
Both are Polara/Monaco.
Top dash is ‘68. Non A/C.
Bottom with more silver accents is ‘67. In ‘68 they were starting to get concerned about glare. So you start seeing a reduction in shiny interior parts.

Last edited:
Do you see the felt strip on the rear window? Where can I get that?
In ‘68 that changed to rubber. You can un crimp the bottom channel and slide it out. I replaced mine. I can’t recall the source as it was about 8 years ago.
Atlas obsolete parts? Maybe
Put the P/N in a google search followed by Mopar and it may turn up something. If you don’t have a Parts manual it is a great investment. Some are even free on Parts Manuals – MyMopar

If there's one thing I'd like here is to connect with "Canadian '67 Monaco aficionado's / experts" and ask them if Canadian Monaco's were optioned differently vs US cars.

My '67 Monaco was bought new by my dad, in the summer of '67. It was on the dealer lot, it was not customer ordered (at least not by my dad). So it's likely the dealer would want the car to move to make way for the '68 models.

My car had a polysphere 318. That engine should have been retired by Chrysler in 1966 but I've read were it did show up on Canadian cars in '67. And beyond that, the Monaco was not supposed to come with a 318 in the first place! The base engine was the 383. But here in Canada, I get the feeling that things were downgraded in terms of engine size for a variety of reasons (maybe even displacement tax?). I had a '65 4-door Polara at the same time I was working on the Monaco back in 84-88 and the Polara (a "Custom 440") had a slant-6 (and maybe even the instrument cluster came from Plymouth?).

I had the vague impression that in the British commonwealth (including Canada) they taxed cars based on engine piston cross-section, not displacement, and the slant-6 had a long stroke as a way to somewhat cheat this tax. If a slant-6 wasn't offered in US Polara's in '65 then again this would be another example of down-grading the base engine option in Canada vs US.

Ok, beyond the engine differences were the tail lights !!!

I remember when I was going to swap meets (Moparfest in New Hamburg, Chryslers at Carlyle, etc) and seeing '67 Monacos with completely different tail lens than I had. I didn't realize that I had Polara lenses!

Now I knew there was the Monaco 500 (with wider lower trim and different hubcaps) and maybe they had the fancy (or at least different lens) but then I realize that some of these plastic red lenses have what looks like chrome painted ring (like in your photo) and some didn't.

A couple other hints - the presence or absence of bumper guards front and back (I have them) and "Monaco" in raised plastic script on the center panel of the glove box door (I've seen and have identical doors with no badge). The "Monaco" badge on the rear roof pillars (that could be easily changed by a dealer).

My Monaco did not have a radio (not sure if my dad asked that it be taken out to save money, I'll have to ask him). Were AM radios standard on the Monaco, but optional on the Polara?

My Monaco does have an analog clock in the instrument cluster (I've seen similar clusters without the clock). Did Polara's have a clock?

I've got I think 2 extra sets of rear tail lights (metal frame and lenses) but I think they're going to be the "Polara" style. I've got a lot of extra parts that should go to a better home, I don't know if it's worth it to catalog it all or just wait for people to ask me about this or that.

But really, what is the real deal with Canadian '67 Monaco's vs their US cousins?
The 318 poly was base in the 67 Monaco’s in Canada. The interior of 67 and 68 Monaco’s in Canada were that of a Sport Fury here (aside from the dash).

In 68, the base engine was the 318 LA in both the 500 and non 500 trim levels. Both (as stated) shared a Sport Fury Interior (again, aside from the dash). I’ve never seen a Canadian non 500 67 though all the 500s I did see had the full red plastic tail lights with the chrome ring (actually a thin vacuum chromed plastic ring fixed to the lens) lest it broke off.

In 68, the 500 had the wide trim that wrapped the rocker but the non 500 had that spiffy Fury thin trim that left the rocker exposed like:
8064D7C7-2A78-4D3C-B25B-DABB8C76B096.jpeg

I’m sure I’m missing a few things but… that’s what I remember.

The 318 poly was base in the 67 Monaco’s in Canada. The interior of 67 and 68 Monaco’s in Canada were that of a Sport Fury here (aside from the dash).

In 68, the base engine was the 318 LA in both the 500 and non 500 trim levels. Both (as stated) shared a Sport Fury Interior (again, aside from the dash). I’ve never seen a Canadian non 500 67 though all the 500s I did see had the full red plastic tail lights with the chrome ring (actually a thin vacuum chromed plastic ring fixed to the lens) lest it broke off.

In 68, the 500 had the wide trim that wrapped the rocker but the non 500 had that spiffy Fury thin trim that left the rocker exposed like:
View attachment 562535

I’m sure I’m missing a few things but… that’s what I remember.
318 poly Canadian standard equipment mystery: solved! Thanks!

> The interior of 67 and 68 Monaco’s in Canada were that of a (US?) Sport Fury (aside from the dash).

I'm not sure I follow that. Were the interior trim panels, arm rests or door handles different? Different patterns or fabrics for the seat covers?

Back