For Sale 1968 Chrysler 300 4drhtp, red/white/white buckets, $3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello all,

Some of you may remember that I picked up a 1968 300 locally, just before I left for Phoenix in April. I normally wouldn’t have bothered, but this was such a clean survivor car that I couldn’t pass it up. Truthfully, I should have because I need it like an extra hole-in-my-head… If the background doesn’t make that obvious. :) The car was listed on CL just outside of Detroit and I couldn’t bear the idea of it being “donked” on some 26” rims, or just having the 440 pulled for some ill-advised Duster project.

68%20300%201_zpscvrtxmhb.jpg

68%20300%2011_zps4jtsa5zv.jpg

The price was fair, but not a giveaway. My plan was to go through it, doing what was required to re-awaken this car which has been kept in a dry garage for a few decades. I did some of that, but basically just enough to drive it to one of my rental houses where the tenants don’t get the garage. So does it run with good oil pressure? Yes… from a detergent bottle I mounted under the hood. (I haven’t dropped the gas tank and didn’t want to chance anything.) Does it move? Yes, although I’d flush the trans before I really drove it. Does it stop? Yes, the brakes work. It seems that the little tweaker nephew of the older lady who stored the car decided to cash in on the parts value of the car. As such, he removed items that will surely cover his habit for a day. It is missing:

The fan and belts

Windshield wiper arms

Sunvisors and rear view mirror

All ashtrays

Rear marker lamps

Dome light lenses

Emblems & front marker lamps (although I picked these up in California and will include them)

*Somebody also mounted a hood ornament, probably from a '67. I was going to just put it back rather than deal with the holes.

The little SOB also took the keys before the family could get the car out of Auntie’s garage. Never fear, I was able to get new ones made. There are a few garage scrapes here/there. If you can live with them, you could keep the original paint. I could kick myself for not taking underbody shots before I packed it away, but it’s as clean/dry as anything I’ve shipped from AZ, yet without the baked out interior. In fact, the interior is very good with the exception of split seams on the driver’s cushion. Unfortunately the windshield has a crack, extra sad because it has so many vintage stickers. Aftermarket hubcaps, but I have originals.

68%20300%207_zpsv5djh12c.jpg

68%20300%206_zpsuxkozkne.jpg

68%20300%204_zpsedpa7xla.jpg

When I took the back seat out (to remove the trunk lock) I discovered that someone had stored a vinyl pool liner (!), so I had to drag that out a good ways. Also found an old furniture receipt tag from Hudson’s and a Farmer Jack plastic grocery bag. (Their claim to fame was introducing plastic bags to the Detroit area… They’re kaput now.)

68%20300%205_zpssdj0zvj3.jpg

Interior still very nice. Outside of the driver's cushion, I don't think it needs anything but some clean up, maybe dye on the yellowed parts.

68%20300%202_zps6pd5xxpf.jpg

68%20300%202a_zpsipti2kje.jpg

Vinyl top is excellent. My Fury photo-bombed me and stuck its nose in far enough to look like rust bumps! Thanks car.

68%20300%209_zpszm7zi77x.jpg

Chrome is excellent. Not NOS, but excellent.

68%20300%208_zpsqzo9bmkf.jpg

Foam trunk mat is dust, but trunk has no rust. In this you can trust.

68%20300%203_zps52avy1zi.jpg

Did I mention there was a $%*@'ing pool liner from 1973 shoved in the trunk? I had to pull it out through the rear seat in order to remove the trunk lock!

68%20300%2012_zpsgdoss84o.jpg

Anyways, $3200k is my price. That covers what I have invested + the pool liner labor. I think this is a good deal for you Euros that are willing to turn a few wrenches and detail stuff, or mid-western folk who would pay this price + shipping from the SW US. If I bring this car back to life, it will increase in price. I realize that I shouldn't have bought another project, because it's already August and I'm still buffing out my '70 Fury. I want that car indoors this winter, so "big red" needs to go.

Last edited:
Nice car Carmine! Power vents?

The pics look like MI.

Nice save...

Will the sale include the pool liner? Seems it should go with the car:lol:.

Detmatt - if you would have interest in a 300L with PVents, send me a PM. It's not a car I had planned on selling really, so I'm not 'organized' on selling it yet, but maybe a quick litmus is all that is needed.

Hijack over - back to the cool red 300!

Detmatt - if you would have interest in a 300L with PVents, send me a PM. It's not a car I had planned on selling really, so I'm not 'organized' on selling it yet, but maybe a quick litmus is all that is needed.

Hijack over - back to the cool red 300!
Hey thanks Fury fan but I think I have all but closed the deal on the next car that I don't need, have room for etc...

Adding a couple of requested photos. I understand these are compromised because the car is wedged into a garage, however it's an effort to remove it now because driveway space is limited at home until I sell a different car... anyone looking for an AWD minivan?

IMG_20160724_094435.jpg

IMG_20160724_094554.jpg

IMG_20160724_094750.jpg

Just about The Nicest 4-Door ever made. And the color combo is even sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back