1968 Chrysler power steering pressure hose

bronze turbine

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the orientation of this hose was from the factory. I've seen this hose attached all kinds of different ways but I was never sure which way the factory did it. I picture would be GREAT if anyone has one.
Thanks!

This is my 67 300, but maybe yours is the same? I know the two clamps in the center are not OEM.

IMG_4492.jpeg

On my '66 and '67 Chryslers, they use the same hose as the '68 does, but the gear connection (pictured) is more parallel to the gearbox with the hose laying on the rubber splash shield (missing in the photo) over the upper control arm. Makes a tight-turn/lazy turn, just as the FSM pictures it.

CBODY67

Here's a before photo if that helps. The hose may be the original. Been there since at least 1991.

20230228_130107.jpeg

Last edited:
That's why we mounted it that way - no more rubbing on the splash shield or anything else.
The OEM 1966 hose had a thick piece of foam hose over it so THAT the hose itself did not touch the splash shield. No wear on the rubber shield, either. Later models seemed to not have that piece of foam on them, nor any aftermarket replacements. If the fitting on the gear was angled just right, the whole hose was in "mid-air", not touching anything. The only FSM illustration I found, after making that comment, was for a system with the power steering cooler in it.

Whatever works,
CBODY67

CBODY67, my 300 had the thick piece of foam hose to which you refer. It's visible in the before photo between the steering box and the metal coupling thingy (gear connection?). I agree with you that there may have been no wear on anything, at least theoretically, however, after 258K miles, my high-pressure hose with the foam hose over it had worn through the splash shield and was wearing on the inner fender. That's why we went with the two clamps to hold it securely off the splash shield. Maybe not "correct" but an improvement in my book nevertheless.

CBODY67, my 300 had the thick piece of foam hose to which you refer. It's visible in the before photo between the steering box and the metal coupling thingy (gear connection?). I agree with you that there may have been no wear on anything, at least theoretically, however, after 258K miles, my high-pressure hose with the foam hose over it had worn through the splash shield and was wearing on the inner fender. That's why we went with the two clamps to hold it securely off the splash shield. Maybe not "correct" but an improvement in my book nevertheless.
For whatever reason, none of my cars (4 of them) had no problems as you describe, using the OEM hoses and routing. Even back then, aftermarket hoses from noted aftermarket suppliers all seemed to be a bit different than the OEM hoses, naturally.

You upgrade mounting is a good one, but one which could have been problematic on the assy line, both in cost factors and assy quality, I suspect. Especially since the stub frame and engine were assembled as a unit before they were mated with the body from underneath. Another "labor operation station" would have been needed, which would have increased production costs. So, what might look sloppy gets to be a cost issue, obviously.

In looking at the hose on the '66, back when it was just a used car, I discovered that by clocking the gear pressure fitting more toward about 12:30, it caused the rest of the hose to move toward the gearbox, too, making a tighter "U", which kept it away from the body sheet metal and suspension pieces (which had the rubber shield covering them). Everything "draped" nicely and "in open air", too.

Same orientation on the '70 and '72 C-bodies, too.

At this stage of the game, with a greatly-diminished number of good, OEM hoses, "Whatever works".

Just my experiences, which might not match those of others,
CBODY67

The hose is much the same as the one on my 67 Barracuda, it was run forward from the pump looping under the battery tray back to the steering gear.
2018-07-19_012.jpg

My 69 Polara has a totally different hose that is much shorter.

Alan

I've been thinking of getting a power steering cooler as of late, but don't exactly know how it's routed, what is the hose routing? is it like below:

Pump > high pressure hose > steering box > low pressure return hose > cooler > pump.

Is that correct? Or am I going to need additional fittings?

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Back