1968 Fury 383 Heat Riser Valve

furyfever

Reaction score
Trying to figure out which way is open. Has original crossover pipe with single exhaust pipe. I have a feeling it’s not working properly like most. Want to wire it open but don’t want to remove crossover pipe to see inside. Anyone have a definite answer for me? Thanks.

The valve rotates counter-clockwise to open. If it's stuck, it is probably in the 1/2 open mode, as all of mine have been. If it's that way, it causes no problems, one way or another.

From my experiences,
CBODY67

It’s not stuck…but also doesn’t seem like it’s working properly. Think the spring is broken An acquaintance at a car cruise thought maybe clockwise was open but wasn’t sure so I’m glad I asked. Thank you. I had asked him if he had heard about big block mopars hard starting problem…plus smell of gas…after reaching operating temperature/waiting more than 5 min or so. He thought it could be this…Heat riser valve stuck in the closed position. I’ll wire it open/CCW then to eliminate this possibility but I’m sure it’s something else. I just don’t know why some of my mopars have exhibited this hard start problem when hot and others have not/have been just fine.

Every one I've ever seen has been rusted/stuck solid; then either cut out completely or wired open. Mine's stuck in the open position

Back