1968 Fury - Parts or Project

Hi,
I hate to admit it but it was my fault that the fire started. It was a super hot day (almost 100 degrees) and I was welding a small piece on the rear frame rail below the floor board. Very careless of me and I am ashamed to admit it. I have gained a huge respect for fire since then and realize how fast things can get out of control. Fortunately the engine compartment and trunk was spared of any damage (the firewall sure lived up to its name). The week before that happened, I had had a nice new top and rear window installed which of course got cooked. I never thought I'd be driving the old gal ever again. The parts car and my wife's encouragement was my savior.
John

Hi,
I hate to admit it but it was my fault that the fire started. It was a super hot day (almost 100 degrees) and I was welding a small piece on the rear frame rail below the floor board. Very careless of me and I am ashamed to admit it. I have gained a huge respect for fire since then and realize how fast things can get out of control. Fortunately the engine compartment and trunk was spared of any damage (the firewall sure lived up to its name). The week before that happened, I had had a nice new top and rear window installed which of course got cooked. I never thought I'd be driving the old gal ever again. The parts car and my wife's encouragement was my savior.
John
I need to show this to my 16 year old who was just balking at my safety notes when he just went out to weld a muffler bracket on his Jeep!

Anyway again great job saving the car, many would have walked away I'm sure.

Hi,
John
I was going to put a like comment...but I really like that you put the effort in to get the car back together...and that your wife provided encouragement.

I remember seeing this cars AD and it came up again in my Marketplace bookmark folder cleanup this morning. If it was a Big Block meh... hope you didn't pay the 2k ask for this pile a rust.

Link to the FB AD for more pictures:

Sold · 1968 Plymouth fury $2,000 in Rochester, IN

9&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=ilI184aIuuQAX_Zqfwt&tn=TSYVnbL8wQKuVROn&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.jpg

If you plan on getting another '68 Fury convertible, I would keep this one and save all of the parts that you can . Over the past years I have owned 3 '67 Fury parts cars for my two Furys that I drive. You never know what you will need later on. I know that doors and front fenders are the same on '67 and '68' Furys. The rear quarters have a different lower body line on the '68 than the '67 and the trunk lids are different. The top frame is a definite save. I had a devastating fire in my convertible in 2005 that ruined the entire interior. I was fortunate to find a '67 vert for parts locally for $600.00. It was a blessing. What ever you decide to do, I wish you the best.
JView attachment 457695 View attachment 457696 John
Hey, just curious, was it an electrical fire??

I remember seeing this cars AD and it came up again in my Marketplace bookmark folder cleanup this morning. If it was a Big Block meh... hope you didn't pay the 2k ask for this pile a rust.

Link to the FB AD for more pictures:

Sold · 1968 Plymouth fury $2,000 in Rochester, IN

View attachment 462576

Nope didn't pay the ask. The car has a lot of issues but I remember this car when the top was good before it was neglected and am interested in seeing what direction the car takes. I would like to find a parts car/project. I am tempted to make a new floor pan. Do you know is there a "close" replacement floor pan that can be modified to fit this car? I am new to the fury but really enjoy metal fab!

Nope didn't pay the ask. The car has a lot of issues but I remember this car when the top was good before it was neglected and am interested in seeing what direction the car takes. I would like to find a parts car/project. I am tempted to make a new floor pan. Do you know is there a "close" replacement floor pan that can be modified to fit this car? I am new to the fury but really enjoy metal fab!
No, you will have to wait for someone else to chime in on the floor panels. I owned all my Fury's back in the 70/80's so the only floorboard rusting just involved the driver side and a little scrapping and painting with Rust-Oleum® took care of it.

No, you will have to wait for someone else to chime in on the floor panels. I owned all my Fury's back in the 70/80's so the only floorboard rusting just involved the driver side and a little scrapping and painting with Rust-Oleum® took care of it.

Darn. Have you ever heard of making there own floor panels. I can probably make something stronger than the aftermarket that would still need a modification.

Back