1968 New Yorker 440 motor questions

Pretty much, although if your car was born with the HP stamp it's a nice thing to retain.

Pretty much, although if your car was born with the HP stamp it's a nice thing to retain.

Hmmm :icon_scratch: Born ? or Created ??

hatchoefner_560.jpg

:eek:ccasion14:

I did say born, I don't have one car that has one that's not supposed to and two of them retain there originals.

Well.. thank you for clearing it up. Like I said in first post..I am new to Mopar stuff... so i had no idea about HP vs Non HP. Now I know.

was the car originally an HP 440? look at the fifth digit.K for non HP, and L for HP. If yours is L, not having the HP engine will show the engine Isn't original. all 440 L VIN coded code cars were stamped HP. On the fender tag look at the three digit code on the bottom line next to the six digit number on the right ending the line., where it will tell you the estimated build date. The first digit 1 would be for Jan, 9 is sept, A for October,etc. The last two digits are the day of the month. On engines with no VIN the date on the Boss should be before the build date, but usually not more than 10 days. I hope this helps you, also look at the transmission you are putting in it. Chrysler made three different ones for the BB/RB The 383 2bbl will hold up, but if anyone experienced looks at it, they will know if it is correct transmission right away. I have the book with all the numbers, if you want to post yours I would be happy to look it up for you. The HP version was best, with eight pinions, the 383 2bbl had only six.

Last edited:
Thanks polara66hardtop. I will check tonight if 5 digit is L or K. As for the tranny.. it is off to be rebuilt. However, the guy who is doing it seems to have gotten real busy and is not checking his text messages much. I may have to find another transmission. But I have time... 20 inches of snow on ground and -15 degree temps.. is slowing things down a bit.

any 440 transmission is better than a 383. The four barrel chargers and Satellites had the 440 non HP 440 transmission. They have seven pinions. The 2 barrel had six, all 383 four barrel cars except roadrunner and ,superbee had seven. all 440 engines not HP had seven. All roadrunners, and superbees, had eight in 1968,69,70. four forward, four reverse. Those were tough transmissions. The Hemi had eight. But the barrels were bigger, and Bushings were much tougher, as well as other valve body and clutch changes. You can make any eight pinion trans a hemi, if you have the extra parts. I have a few 440 transmissions, but whatever you get, the number is on the driver side above the pan rail. look it up and pm it to me, I'll tell you if it is a good one.

Well then no need to worry about HP or not. You be good, numbers matching on that car isn't real important. Hopefully you have a 440 transmission.

it will work. if your going to keep it, ask him to Install a shift kit, and anything else he can recommend to tighten it up. 270 horse to 350 plus the Increased torque it would be wise. also, ask him about the stall. the two engines may not be exactly be the same.

I have a 10inch bm stall 3000.. 484 cammed 440. I am not sure about what rear gears I am gonna drop in...

Then definitely ask the tranny guy to add a clutch as well. Mopar makes a nice deep pan for an extra quart of fluid, and the don't leak like the old pans and cork gaskets. wouldn't go too deep,unless you want to spend a lot of time above 4,000rpm. 440's have a lot of torque, and it's wasted if you pass it up on your way up. I recently sold a nice 440 with the 68' HP cam, to a good friend with a 67' charger. he was determined to go 3:91 gears. I recommended 3:23 unless you are going to the strip. He Insisted, and drove the car twice. After that he came back home and put in 3:23 gears. More torque ,ran cooler ,better gas mileage. But your preference may be different, go for whatever you like, and have fun!

Back