1968 Newport Headlight and Dash Bulb Question

Reaction score
Hey FCBO! Long time reader, New Member.

I have a question in regards to removal of the headlights (looking to install a LED harness and new housing) in a 1968 Newport. In a nutshell is it easy? Does it require removal of the entire grille? Also if I wanted to replace the bulbs in the dash/instrument cluster does it require taking the whole cluster out? My apologies if both questions have been addressed before. I have searched around on this site and didn’t see it explained.

Grille not needed to be removed.
Just the potmetal trim bezels and the stainless bezels that keep tge headlamps in place.
Carefull of what style of LED bulbs you choose.
Some with the heat sinks and cooling fans may not fit into the buckets and not much room behind them either.
I recommend using a plug n play relay harness and Hella housingsxwith H4 and H1 bulbs.
I did a thread about this:
Plug n play headlight harness upgrade
As for the dash, yes it has to come out to acsess the bulbs unless you are a contortionist or circus monkey.
You have to drop the steering column, remove upper light bar, dash bezel, undo the gear selector indicator and then the cluster.
Hope this helps.

boab august 2017 015.JPG

boab october 2017 004.JPG

Last edited:
@cbarge to the rescue once again. I have been reading all of your posts and gained a lot of knowledge from them. Thank you! I’m going to have to take a deeper look at how to get the trim bezel off. Is it from the rear? I didn’t see any screws that I could access from the front. And I will def be buying thay harness you posted.

@cbarge to the rescue once again. I have been reading all of your posts and gained a lot of knowledge from them. Thank you! I’m going to have to take a deeper look at how to get the trim bezel off. Is it from the rear? I didn’t see any screws that I could access from the front. And I will def be buying thay harness you posted.
Screws are on the outside/ front of the bezels countersunk.
Please look closely at the last pic of my grille where I am pointing with my finger.
You can see the screw mounting holes at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock.

Back