1968 NewYorker plastic panels

68Nyker_Guy

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Mainly due to things slowing down on the Chysler, as of posting this it's currently off getting the electrical and brake drums redone. Meanwhile I'm still on my search for some interior pieces. The main part being an interior plastic panel that covers the pillar between the front and back door, it also holds the cigarette lighter for the rear seats. I'm looking for the passenger side of these pieces, but both would be nice as the driver's side is also cracked and hanging on by a thread. Hope I can get some help in finding these interior panels which have been a real treat to search for to say the least.

Thanks,
Scott

20230219_104549.jpg

As I recall, the cigarette lighters in those B-pillar panels were a NY-only item. Otherwise panels from other C-bodys would probably fit. Might need some paint-match work?

Typical of those panels on a 4dr hardtop to break from ppl getting in and out of the car.
They dont last long..
67 cars had metal panels.

That panel was broken on our '68 New Yorker when we got it in '71. Good luck finding a good one. I'd be curious to know if the '67 piece can be used on a '68. If it's metal, it'd probably last forever and could be painted to match the plastic ones.

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Mainly due to things slowing down on the Chysler, as of posting this it's currently off getting the electrical and brake drums redone. Meanwhile I'm still on my search for some interior pieces. The main part being an interior plastic panel that covers the pillar between the front and back door, it also holds the cigarette lighter for the rear seats. I'm looking for the passenger side of these pieces, but both would be nice as the driver's side is also cracked and hanging on by a thread. Hope I can get some help in finding these interior panels which have been a real treat to search for to say the least.

Thanks,
Scott

View attachment 582971
You will need to start a parts wanted thread to find them I bet.

By observation, plastic which looked good when the cars were newer are now tending to crack/craze easily. Especially if the sun hits them a lot. Oils in the plastic evaporate over time, trying them out and making them more fragile in the process. Just the way things work. Newer plastics seem to be better about UV radiation exposure. Black panels usually come out better as allegedly the black color components are not degraded as easily by UV light.

I remember before the E-body plastic door panels were repro'd. The white ones were all crazed and usually were sanded smooth, as the black ones were still useable and not crazed. This was in the later 1980s when some friends in our Mopar club were looking for some.

In some cases, you might use some filler to put them back together and then find some expandable vinyl to re-cover them in . . . of a similar grain, if possible. Then just glue the new vinyl over the plastic and make it smooth, which is where the "expandable" issue comes in.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back