For Sale 1968 Plymouth VIP. 440 with 4 speed and A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this car years ago when the owner was still in the Bay Area. All the documentation on the car backs it up being a 440 4-speed with air. Never say never with Mopar but this car is currently the only known 440 4-speed car with Air known to exist.

TO.CASH.FLOW.gif

Just got divorced last year and car is in storage. I've got the broadcast sheets and a ton of cool old Mopar books and original literature in boxes. Same with the hard drives with zillions of pictures and files from the last 30 years. Right now I'm building a place off grid and almost have my 40x60 shop done. Then I'll have time to document things as I go through the car. It's a great driver now, but needs to be cleaned up. It was in a carport in TX for many years and once the original owner passed away took me two years to buy the car. Promised the family it would get a proper restoration. I'm going to have a lot of questions.

I saw this car years ago when the owner was still in the Bay Area. All the documentation on the car backs it up being a 440 4-speed with air. Never say never with Mopar but this car is currently the only known 440 4-speed car with Air known to exist.

I’m curious about the engine assembly number and carb on the BS.

I’m curious about the engine assembly number and carb on the BS.

That's one of my first questions. This is from memory, but the car came with the "auto" trans carb, not the manual which one part number different. Considering it was built in Belvedere and on a C body line with almost ALL auto trans cars it makes sense.

I'll just drive around with the AC on and windows open. You know, to stop global warming... Probably can't do much about the burning tires, though. ;-)

If you're going off grid then, to be really Green about it, you need to it sell it to someone who would appreciate the a.c. Like, Florida, for example.

I had it at a local club show (Fremont, CA) once. I was setting up the swap area so got there at 5:30 am, parked it under a tree, opened my hood and put my small binder with info on the fender.
Came back about noon and there was a curmudgeon in a lawn chair parked next to me with a beautiful '67 yellow Sport Fury. You know the guys, late seventies and generally unhappy with the world. I said hello and the first words out of his mouth were "that can't be a one of one. They made more than that".

I smiled and said that was great info. (And I always say "possibly" or "likely" when referring to the car.) He grumbled and I asked what information he used to provide that valuable info. More grumbling, and he just said they must have.
I told him about a $3000 reward I was offering for factual info showing another car like mine. But for him, I'd give $5000. Grumble grumble, back to his chair he went.
Came back later and he was gone.

I have absolutely no idea if it's a one of one. It's possible but I still plan to drive it.

Came back about noon and there was a curmudgeon in a lawn chair parked next to me with a beautiful '67 yellow Sport Fury. You know the guys, late seventies and generally unhappy with the world. I said hello and the first words out of his mouth were "that can't be a one of one. They made more than that".
:rolleyes:

:rofl:

You know the guys, late seventies and generally unhappy with the world.

I got a way to go till I'm in my late seventies, but I'm in the unhappy with the world class already.

Maybe something to do with population doubling? Could be.

I had it at a local club show (Fremont, CA) once. I was setting up the swap area so got there at 5:30 am, parked it under a tree, opened my hood and put my small binder with info on the fender.

I smiled and said that was great info. (And I always say "possibly" or "likely" when referring to the car.) He grumbled and I asked what information he used to provide that valuable info. More grumbling, and he just said they must have.
I told him about a $3000 reward I was offering for factual info showing another car like mine. But for him, I'd give $5000. Grumble grumble, back to his chair he went.
Came back later and he was gone.

I have absolutely no idea if it's a one of one. It's possible but I still plan to drive it.

:rofl:

Good on you for saying "possibly" or "likely." Said like a true Mopar Man. Cuz with Ma ya never know.

If you're going off grid then, to be really Green about it, you need to it sell it to someone who would appreciate the a.c. Like, Florida, for example.
We like AC around here, too. I'd love to have that car, but a 1-of-1 is a bad idea for me, I'd be paranoid about it.

and there was a curmudgeon in a lawn chair parked next to me with a beautiful '67 yellow Sport Fury.
Stan, you've never told us you had a yellow Fury?

I got a way to go till I'm in my late seventies, but I'm in the unhappy with the world class already.

Maybe something to do with population doubling? Could be.
Or maybe it's the type of people that are doubling. The high-horse, double-standard crowd that seems to think Twitter will solve everything. Twits - behaving like twats.

Joking aside, I think we are likely seeing a 1-of-1, not so much due to AC and 4-speed, but more due to manual trans in a VIP. This was presumably ordered specifically by someone, or for someone, who had some clout to get an assembly ticket punched and passed thru.

Questions we3 must have answered:
What seats/shifter does it have? I presume VIP bench with 'naked' bench-seat floorshifter?
Otherwise, if buckets, what buckets would they be? I've never seen a buddy-seat VIP, and I presume no bucketseat upholstery was available.
Does a VIP have the sculpted rear speaker panel cover with divot in the back seat? If so, 300 or SF seats are the only available parts, and presumably SF seats would be pulled as 300 seats wouldn't be in that plant?

Joking aside, I think we are likely seeing a 1-of-1, not so much due to AC and 4-speed, but more due to manual trans in a VIP. This was presumably ordered specifically by someone, or for someone, who had some clout to get an assembly ticket punched and passed thru.

Questions we3 must have answered:
What seats/shifter does it have? I presume VIP bench with 'naked' bench-seat floorshifter?
Otherwise, if buckets, what buckets would they be? I've never seen a buddy-seat VIP, and I presume no bucketseat upholstery was available.
Does a VIP have the sculpted rear speaker panel cover with divot in the back seat? If so, 300 or SF seats are the only available parts, and presumably SF seats would be pulled as 300 seats wouldn't be in that plant?

Engine assembly number: 999?
Radiator? same as Standard a/c application?
Pedal assembly? Same as other C bodies?
Was pedal trim included? Likely on a VIP.

I will have to follow this now. Interesting is an understatement.

This is a “known” car,...as far as I know, it’s legitimate, and the real deal.

My understanding is that its an executive order car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back