1969 Chrysler 300 Door panel

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to replace the backing board on a 69 Chrysler 300 door interior panel. Have watched some YouTube videos on the subject. None really address this style panel. Info w/ pics would be very helpful.

20180327_231551.jpg

20180327_231621.jpg

That is actually a 70/71 door panel, although for the purpose of answering your question, it works.

I did mine. As said, that is a 70-71 panel.

Door Panel repair

The hard part is dealing with the metal top, but my solution using hot melt glue and a heat gun has worked well. I wasn't real clear in my write up, but I used 3m trim adhesive to glue the vinyl to the new boards. I really recommend the source for the boards that I linked. Don't try using particle board etc.

Can the backing board be repaired? Is the vinyl in good shape? You could glue a piece of thin gauge steel or aluminum to the back if you just need to stiffen a broken area of the back board. Just a thought.

I did mine. As said, that is a 70-71 panel.

Door Panel repair

The hard part is dealing with the metal top, but my solution using hot melt glue and a heat gun has worked well. I wasn't real clear in my write up, but I used 3m trim adhesive to glue the vinyl to the new boards. I really recommend the source for the boards that I linked. Don't try using particle board etc.
Thanks for the link and the added photos, that and the info provided is a big help. What did you separate the back board from steel top panel. What did you use for foam backing under the vinyl.

Thanks for the link and the added photos, that and the info provided is a big help. What did you separate the back board from steel top panel. What did you use for foam backing under the vinyl.
No need for new foam. The foam is bonded to the back of the vinyl so it's all one piece. It's just a matter of peeling the vinyl/foam off the board. The 48 year old glue gives way pretty easily.

Once you get the vinyl off, you'll see how the top panel is attached. They punched holes through the steel and crimped the edges of the holes to the boards. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture of that.

I just bent the crimps over, and they all snapped off. Then I punched new holes in the board using the old board as a template and that aligned everything. Of course, that couldn't be crimped again and that is why I used hot melt glue and a heat gun.

You'll want to get some hollow punches like these to punch all the holes. https://smile.amazon.com/SE-791LP-H...pID=41M9dF8GQmL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
81m7kAMCQ4L._SL1500_.jpg

No need for new foam. The foam is bonded to the back of the vinyl so it's all one piece. It's just a matter of peeling the vinyl/foam off the board. The 48 year old glue gives way pretty easily.

Once you get the vinyl off, you'll see how the top panel is attached. They punched holes through the steel and crimped the edges of the holes to the boards. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture of that.

I just bent the crimps over, and they all snapped off. Then I punched new holes in the board using the old board as a template and that aligned everything. Of course, that couldn't be crimped again and that is why I used hot melt glue and a heat gun.

You'll want to get some hollow punches like these to punch all the holes. https://smile.amazon.com/SE-791LP-H...pID=41M9dF8GQmL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
View attachment 176465
Thanks for the details. Will post pics and details for others later on this thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thankyou:

I have a 69 300 convert, SMS gave me quoit of about 900 for the frount and back...The vinyl is damage so its the only way I have to go...

Big John was a bid help w/ this repair. Removal of the vinyl was fairly easy with the aid of a 3' wide paint scraper. Remove the staples w/ a pair of needle nose pliers. Pop off the 300 emblem. Remove power window switch. The carpet at the bottom of the door is separated by cutting the stitches w/ a box cutter knife. Ease the vinyl up to expose the hard board. Pry the old panel off w/ a screw driver. Use old panel as pattern and trace on to new hard board. Note the small index holes in the old panel at the top. Be sure to transfer these holes to the new hard board. Straighten out the punch holes in the upper metal strip and Drill out traced holes. Handle the vinyl w/ care not to split or tear it. Do not roll it up as it will break down the foam backing. Line up small index holes and hold in place w/ 8/32 oval head machine screws w/ large washers. I used contractors glue to bond the new panel. Let glue set and bond for no less than 3 days. When dry remove screws and washers. Carefully check new panel to vinyl. If ok install panel w/ 3M Contact Super 77 glue. Keep vinyl taunt as you bring the surfaces together. Fold edges under and secure w/ short staples. Photos below should help.

20180327_231621.jpg

20180327_231640.jpg

Back