1969 Chrysler 300 - emissions equipment question

Jeremy MacDonald

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've run into a snag. The California DMV requires proof that my 1969 C300 complied with the required US emissions when it was manufactured. It wasn't specifically made for California, (I don't think there was any difference back then) so I don't know what else might have been required back then but it has the original everything (engine, trans etc) - the pcv valve and vented oil filler cap are there and working. I donlt see anything connected to the fuel tank vent line. Can somebody out there help me figure out what I need?
I've called Chrysler three times and each time they tried but didn't have a way to look up my vin#. I read about someone else's letter of compliance and the only information given was the vin number and that the vehicle met all U.S. federal safety and emission requirements...except labeling, in effect at the time it was manufactured. That was enough.

I brought the car to California a year ago and have been waiting for the permanent registration to come though. There's just this one request from the DMV and I'll be good to go. It seems the car has the Chrysler Cleaner Ar System and has the idle settings of timing etc. Anyone out there have a California car or who knows what I need to do? Many thanks!

California...

bang head.gif

Could they give you an example of the paperwork they demand?

Hello all,
I've run into a snag. The California DMV requires proof that my 1969 C300 complied with the required US emissions when it was manufactured. It wasn't specifically made for California, (I don't think there was any difference back then) so I don't know what else might have been required back then but it has the original everything (engine, trans etc) - the pcv valve and vented oil filler cap are there and working. I donlt see anything connected to the fuel tank vent line. Can somebody out there help me figure out what I need?
I've called Chrysler three times and each time they tried but didn't have a way to look up my vin#. I read about someone else's letter of compliance and the only information given was the vin number and that the vehicle met all U.S. federal safety and emission requirements...except labeling, in effect at the time it was manufactured. That was enough.

I brought the car to California a year ago and have been waiting for the permanent registration to come though. There's just this one request from the DMV and I'll be good to go. It seems the car has the Chrysler Cleaner Ar System and has the idle settings of timing etc. Anyone out there have a California car or who knows what I need to do? Many thanks!

There should be a green and white sticker on the driver's side splash pan or wheel well that gives this information. It should be in plain sight about half way back inside the engine compartment. Failing finding that, if you have a build sheet, the code for federal emissions is printed on the build sheet towards the top. The code for US standards is usually also on the vehicle build tag on the core support. California might require you replace the emissions sticker if it is missing, though on a vehicle this old, I doubt it. In Oregon, you would have to take the car to the DMV office to verify the VIN number on an out of state car, so if there are any questions the about emission standards the DMV would address them then. I suspect that California might have a similar protocol for such issues. California did have stricter standards for all vehicles sold new in the state in 1969, but that should not stop you from registering the vehicle.

Dave

There should be a green and white sticker on the driver's side splash pan or wheel well that gives this information. It should be in plain sight about half way back inside the engine compartment. Failing finding that, if you have a build sheet, the code for federal emissions is printed on the build sheet towards the top. The code for US standards is usually also on the vehicle build tag on the core support. California might require you replace the emissions sticker if it is missing, though on a vehicle this old, I doubt it. In Oregon, you would have to take the car to the DMV office to verify the VIN number on an out of state car, so if there are any questions the about emission standards the DMV would address them then. I suspect that California might have a similar protocol for such issues. California did have stricter standards for all vehicles sold new in the state in 1969, but that should not stop you from registering the vehicle.

Dave

Gawd I love this site

Dave
The green and white sticker doesn't seem to be there. I found the correct sticker part number for a replacement (see attached). Also my build tag is attached in case there's a clue to be found there. What the DMV's letter states is that they need a letter from Chrysler stating that the car was built to emissions standards of the day back in 1969. So far no luck there. I also searched the rear seat for the build sheet - nada, unfortunately.

Emissions Sticker 2899841.jpg

VinPlate.png

The green and white sticker doesn't seem to be there. I found the correct sticker part number for a replacement (see attached). Also my build tag is attached in case there's a clue to be found there. What the DMV's letter states is that they need a letter from Chrysler stating that the car was built to emissions standards of the day back in 1969. So far no luck there. I also searched the rear seat for the build sheet - nada, unfortunately.

View attachment 194195

View attachment 194196

Have they actually inspected the car yet? Maybe just buy the sticker and put er on there and see if it passes

California...

View attachment 194192

Could they give you an example of the paperwork they demand?
Yep, that's an accurate description of me banging my head on the desk!

It just needs to be on Chrysler (Fiat now) letterhead and state my vin number and that the vehicle met all U.S. emission requirements in effect at the time it was manufactured.

Have they actually inspected the car yet? Maybe just buy the sticker and put er on there and see if it passes
I can try that - they're not even asking for an inspection so far. The DMV local office inspected it when I first registered it a year ago and then sent my paperwork to Sacramento. I was waiting for the final version and title document to arrive but got his request instead.

Not all build sheets are under the rear seat cushion, some will be found under the springs of the upper rear seat cushion. If the car has bucket seats, it may be behind the top cushion or on the seat base under the springs. Some were hidden inside the center console if the car was so equipped and some were above the glove box insert. some were also left under the carpets.
Dave

Seems a pretty dumb request as do they imagine that non-compliant vehicles were allowed to be sold???

Imagine trying to register a Studebaker, Nash, Hudson or Packard - "we require a letter from the manufacturer."

Lol

No all build sheets are under the rear seat cushion, some will be found under the springs of the upper rear seat cushion. If the car has bucket seats, it may be behind the top cushion or on the seat base under the springs. Some were hidden inside the center console if the car was so equipped and some were above the glove box insert. some were also left under the carpets.
Dave
Yikes - I'll have to do a full body search ! I'll check above the glove box and under the carpet right now.....

Seems a pretty dumb request as do they imagine that non-compliant vehicles were allowed to be sold???

Imagine trying to register a Studebaker, Nash, Hudson or Packard - "we require a letter from the manufacturer"

Lol

It more about the fact that they really do not want to register older vehicles at all, especially one manufactured to federal standards. Moonbeam fears global warming you know.

Dave

View attachment 194195

View attachment 194196

Your build tag does not appear to have the emission code, '69 tags did not show as much info as some of the later years, although it varied from plant to plant. You have a very early production number vehicle, #58 off the line (serial numbers started at 100K). Chrysler destroyed most of the archives for this era vehicle so they are not going to be any help because they do not have the information.

Dave

I can try that - they're not even asking for an inspection so far. The DMV local office inspected it when I first registered it a year ago and then sent my paperwork to Sacramento. I was waiting for the final version and title document to arrive but got his request instead.

Or buy the sticker and show em a pic of it on the car?

I know - insane question but is there any way to obtain a copy of the build sheet? Haha! crazy, like I said! I did get one for an old Mercedes once, years ago. I wrote to this guy in Germany and he sent me what looked to be a photo of the build sheet for my 1971 car!

I know - insane question but is there any way to obtain a copy of the build sheet? Haha! crazy, like I said! I did get one for an old Mercedes once, years ago. I wrote to this guy in Germany and he sent me what looked to be a photo of the build sheet for my 1971 car!

There are sometimes people in Hemmings who offer that service, some are a lot better at it than others. You can go on to Galen Glover's website and see what he would charge.
www.galengovier.com
Dave

As Dave A. Lux stated above, and what I just read on a 2009 C-body drydock post, for unknown reasons the post 1967 records were accidentally lost/destroyed on their way to Chrysler Archives, so not even California can obtain that information.

What was more interesting to me was the comment by a Mr Brandt Rosenbusch, somehow connected with Chrysler Historical that claims that "my car is one of 5 built with these specifications/options etc etc" are complete fabrications as Chrysler never kept such records and there is no way of establishing such information.

Your build tag does not appear to have the emission code, '69 tags did not show as much info as some of the later years, although it varied from plant to plant. You have a very early production number vehicle, #58 off the line (serial numbers started at 100K). Chrysler destroyed most of the archives for this era vehicle so they are not going to be any help because they do not have the information.

Dave
Well, I guess all information is good information even if it's bad news. Then my only hope is to take a photo of the sticker in place (and suitably aged) and send it to them - or maybe they might ask me to have the car - and existence of the sticker - inspected I suppose - no problem there.

Does anybody know if the 1969 car had anything else beyond the PCV valve and vented oil filler? I think the charcoal canisters came later. I have the old-type distributor - no solenoid, which I think also came later. Should I look for anything else in the way of emissions gear for 1969? finally where is the green and white sticker on your 1969, anybody? Many thanks again.

A "Blue Sky" claim that could not be verified one way or the other. Probably makes him feel good to make it.

Dave

Back