1969 Imperial Guru question.

The Air cleaner is incorrect as well. The K Code 440 came with a single snorkel. The one you have looks period correct, but it wouldn't have come that way...having said that I'd leave it there. Looks great!

Well , Id like to get it on the road again and go from there. Ive been after a 69 2 Door for years and always ended up missing it from a demo man or hounding people with nice ones to sell and not having any luck. Then I happen to find a 69 Crown Coupe on CL and bought it from Colorado. Then about a month after I bought the Crown , the guy with this gold one called and said OK, Ill sell it now, so I bought both.

I've searched 1,5 Years to find my '69 Coupe as well. It's not that optioned, but I'm pretty happy about it, too ;)

Is this the Crown you bought before? It's the only Crown I remember for sale for a while.
F9 Dark Emerald Crown 2door 03.jpgF9 Dark Emerald Crown 2door 07.jpg

F9 Dark Emerald Crown 2door 07.jpg

F9 Dark Emerald Crown 2door 03.jpg

Vodka, the one you just showed, was that the one we initially saw listed on CL and shortly thereafter being flipped (in Maine, I believe)? We debated about about the flipper's price if I recall correctly.

Vodka, the one you just showed, was that the one we initially saw listed on CL and shortly thereafter being flipped (in Maine, I believe)? We debated about about the flipper's price if I recall correctly.

It is, first it was $1750 and flipped for $2900 a week later... First seller was on of the guys, who sold the car to the flipper after we both agreed...

No this is the Crown Coupe I bought.

Sure, I haven't realised the rear window. Interesting Color combination! The steering wheel is a little too much IMO but it's definetily special ;) Congrats again for your both purchases!

For 35 years I have been under the impression that 1972 was the first year for "optional" electronic ignition, 1973 was standard.......
I'll second that, the 1969 price list does not show an option for electronic ignition nor does the service literature reference to it (to the best of my knowledge).

What the 1969 Imperial should have, though, is an electronic voltage regulator. Perhaps that box on the firewall was sometimes mistaken for an electronic ignition module.

Very nice car.
I too have a 69 LeBaron Coupe.
Was your car ordered with a tow package?
Mine was. There would be a honkin big transmission cooler in front of the AC cooler almost as big as the radiator.

I did not think these cars came with an electronic ignition. Electronic voltage regulator was standard.
Also I do not think that the dual snorkel air filter housing is original. Not sure.

Again a nice car.

It looks like there is not much rust under what is left of the vinyl roof.

Be extra careful about rust under the rear window fiberglass insert.

Good luck.

I'll second that, the 1969 price list does not show an option for electronic ignition nor does the service literature reference to it (to the best of my knowledge).

What the 1969 Imperial should have, though, is an electronic voltage regulator. Perhaps that box on the firewall was sometimes mistaken for an electronic ignition module.

ceebuddy is correct as the 1969 Imperial did have an electronic voltage regulator but an electronic ignition module was not available according to my 1969 Imperial dealer brochure (my 2014 statement was incorrect and Dave is correct, no electronic ignition until 1972 optional).

However, although the electronic voltage regulator was standard according to the dealer brochure, since my Oct 25 SPD 69 Imperial has the non-electronic voltage regulator and looks original from the factory (mine also has only 30+K miles on it too) so it must have been dropped early in production for some reason (does anyone actually have a 69 Imperial with the electronic voltage regulator?). But the dealer brochure claims the 69 Imperials did have part throttle kickdown, so I was correct on that feature apparently and the sequential turn signal lights in the rear were standard and my car also has them.

My car also has no pin stripes. Just the longitudinal trim piece down the sides with the black painted insert.

2004-01-01 00.01.24.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot of the tilt/telescope wheel. I cannot imagine where to put a pinstripe on a 69. I suppose if you had to have one, they could place it along the body crease (as they did with moldings in 70 and 71. Incidentally, i have first hand knowledge of 69's as my dad had a 69 Crown and I was at the dealer many times and saw many variations of Imperials. Oh, sorry welcome home to Imperial magnificence

Hey, I also have a Imperial LeBaron coupe, but 1970 model. I looked 1969 model, but couldn't find, so now I am rebuilding the 1970 model. More pics about these 1969 models show here would be great.

Indeed a very well equipped vehicle. The leather bucket seat cost was 10% of the base price of the car. I believe 4 or 5 accent colors on the spear molding were available, usually color keyed to the vinyl roof color (just like the wheel covers). V1W = white vinyl roof, hence the V6W (white) stripe code.

While leather trim in 4-door hardtops reqiured a mere $ 137.65 surcharge, the leather bucket seats in the 2-door hardtop only came as power seats. So in total, leather trim in an Imperial coupe added $ 578.70 to the tab. Which is, as CEJ7034 rightfully noted, almost 10 % of the 2-door hardtop's base price of $ 5,898.00

Back