1969 Imperial LeBaron 2 door hardtop

I'm pretty sure I've seen one without vinyl somewhere in NorCal. Probably a custom job.

Maybe it was this one...............

Tony Fortner's 1969 Imperial LeBaron Coupe Home Page
row-of-imperials-small.gif

Tony Fortner's 1969 Imperial LeBaron Coupe
Imperial Home Page -> Imperials by Year -> 1969 -> Tony Fortner

Here are a few pictures of my 1969 Imperial LeBaron coupe. I have had this car for nearly 5 years now, and I just love it. I have really gone through this car in many areas. The Budd brakes, of course, needed to be rebuilt, but I would not convert them for any reason. I have gone through the transmission, re-covered the seats, and replaced the tires and new exhaust as well.

Even though this car has the larger "Crown" rear window, it is actually a LeBaron! Here's the story about it: when I purchased it from the seller in Detroit, the back window had been broken at one time, and they replaced it with a larger rear window for a Crown. The previous owner didn't keep the window insert because he liked the larger rear window. I guess we all get rid of things that we don't feel are necessary at the time, but now I wish I had the correct rear window! If you know of someone who has an insert, please let me know so I can make it original someday! For right now, it will have the larger back window.

This is also a rather strangely optioned car. It has the rear heat and defrost, but no power windows. It does have the bucket seats with the door stretcher, but yet only came with the AM radio. This car also serves as a great machine for pulling my 26 ft camping trailer in the summer! It pulls the camper effortlessly and looks good doing it. It still needs a few trim pieces that I am having a hard time locating, but I will still find them.

69%20coupe013.jpg
69%20coupe014.jpg
69%20coupe018.jpg

This page was last updated December 9, 2003. Send us your feedback, and come join the Imperial Mailing List - Online Car Club
donationbanner.gif

Stan is correct, as the formal window was standard in all Le Barons as well as the accompanying vinyl roof. Crowns, however, were available in 1969 and 1970 that didn't have the formal roof (large window only) and a vinyl roof was optional on them at extra cost. The Crown models were discontinued in the 1971 model year. If you really saw a Le Baron without the formal roof, I posted the one I was aware of and why it lacked one, although you are correct that example does still have a vinyl roof.

I looked at a photo of a '69, '70 or '71 LeBaron coupe just yesterday which had had the rear window insert replaced with metal and painted, I think it had mag wheels, but now I cannot find it.

As stated already, only the crown was available without vinyl roof (standard).

Here are pics of a 2dr crown I tried to buy 3 years ago.
F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 001.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 002.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 003.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 004.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 005.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 008.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 009.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 010.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 011.jpg

F9 - Dark Emerald Crown 2-door - 012.jpg

How difficult would it be to manufacture a metal insert panel, to match the shape and fit of the factory unit. All you'd have to do would be to weld it in place and paint over it, that way you get to keep the unique look of the LeBaron with the small rear window.

I'm pretty sure that would look weird and simply not right. I like it with the big window and if I can find and transport one over to Germany, I probably will delete my vinyl roof.

I'm pretty sure that would look weird and simply not right. I like it with the big window and if I can find and transport one over to Germany, I probably will delete my vinyl roof.
Very different cars (to the Imperial), but similar final look:

chpromopiclarge.jpg

8185985996_fcf608ceb2_b.jpg

That looks ok, but most likely it would look like Rockefeller's limousine. I know that's extreme, but you get the idea.

If you wan't to go this route, you should find a big rear window (and a way to relocate the dome light).

Page02.jpg

Is Imperialist's car restored, or very low miles? Mine is the one Carsten saw that is identical except for the white interior, but even mine with 34K miles on it doesn't look that nice ........... yet.

His is a really nice Imperial and I don't recall seeing another in that condition either, especially a 2 door.

View attachment 96136 View attachment 96137
A 50K mile survivor with a bare metal up repaint and new correct vinyl top. The car is even nicer in person.

Those pics above of the Crowns confirm my preference for no vinyl and big window. Very sleek look. I know there's a vinyl-free Crown Coupe in the SF Bay Area that I've seen a few times. It's either dark blue or black.

Sorry to disagree but I think vinyl looks good on certain cars... Just meant to be. Crown Imperials, no vinyl looks good. LeBarons, vinyl all the way. Formal New Yorkers always look good in vinyl. Though some Newports look nice without. My 1979 300 looks real nice without, even though most Cordobas looked nice with. Go figure....
img_3767-jpg.70192.jpg

Sorry to disagree but I think vinyl looks good on certain cars... Just meant to be. Crown Imperials, no vinyl looks good. LeBarons, vinyl all the way. Formal New Yorkers always look good in vinyl. Though some Newports look nice without. My 1979 300 looks real nice without, even though most Cordobas looked nice with. Go figure....
img_3767-jpg.70192.jpg
Be carefull or some guy around here will lambaste you for thinking you are the Mopar Police.

Isnt big back window same as Newport/300/New Yorker? I like small window on Imperials, but on Challenger SE its ugly.
Hmmm Newport with Imperial insert and small window.... :) :)

Back