1969 Imperial progress thread

Isn't there some space between the sandwich of the inner frame & outer sheet metal? That's the way all my cars are built. Depending on how much space there is & how hard the material, you may be able to just physically cut & release. On one of my cars, a previous owner removed the original caulk material on the hood which caused it to flutter at speed. I bought some 3M stuff & injected it in the spaces where the original material was. While it doesn't look like the original, it solved the problem & did not expand or contract which 3M claimed in their specs.
Your work to date is awesome.:thumbsup:

View attachment 628993
As Alan correctly stated, I unfortunately don't have that option on my Trunk Lid. Other than the Hood, it's one continuous panel without openings. I even had to drill some holes to inject the foam.

2023-11-03 13.27.53.jpg

After waiting forever for some NOS parts I finally was able to reassemble the steering column.

As usual, all the otiginal parts were media blasted, zinc plated and painted to look as good as new or even better! :)

Steering_Column_01.jpg

A new Turn Signal Switch (Shee-Mar SM-107) and a NOS Turn Signal Switch housing. Unfortunately, its original grease was all gummed up, so I removed it and filled the bearing up with fresh grease.
Steering_Column_02.jpg

Steering_Column_03.jpg

Steering_Column_04.jpg

Steering_Column_05.jpg

Steering_Column_06.jpg

Steering_Column_07.jpg

A NOS Shift Tube Bearing was installed.
Steering_Column_08.jpg

The O-Ring Seal is for a B-Body (DMT part# CHR6026275), but fits very well and a new Column to firewall gasket (DMT part#CXX6973SC01) is ready to be installed.
Steering_Column_09.jpg

Steering_Column_10.jpg

Last edited:
Steering_Column_11.jpg

The original metal gasket was somehow too lose, so I added a layer of 3M Scotchgard Tape to the rear. Now it fits very well.
Steering_Column_12.jpg

Steering_Column_13.jpg

Steering_Column_14.jpg

Steering_Column_15.jpg

Steering_Column_16.jpg

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a NOS Lower Bearing, so I took it apart to removed the bearing. It was very rusty, so I cleaned all the old grease out of it and then removed the rust with evaporust.
Then I filled it with fresh grease and reinstalled the seals. It's not perfect, but it will work.

Steering_Column_17.jpg

Steering_Column_18.jpg

A NOS Horn Ring was installed.
Steering_Column_19.jpg

Steering_Column_20.jpg

Steering_Column_21.jpg

Since the Column Jacket is welded originally, I had to cut it off. To reattach it, I used velcro.
Steering_Column_22.jpg

The result is looking pretty nice if I may say so.
Steering_Column_23.jpg

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a NOS Lower Bearing, so I took it apart to removed the bearing. It was very rusty, so I cleaned all the old grease out of it and then removed the rust with evaporust.
Then I filled it with fresh grease and reinstalled the sea

What a disgrace! Forever and ever you will always know that rusty old lower bearing is helping to turn your wheels! :poke:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As usual, spectacular!

Who are you and what did you do with real Julian?:poke:
It's not that I haven't tried! I searched for years for a NOS one but there is none...
The part I need would be: 2950 504 - Lower Steering Column Bearing

My bearing is fine, just not like new. I makes very little noise.

I talked to a big bearing seller and tried to find a new ball bearing with the correct measurements but there is none available with the correct dimensions...

I even contacted the manufacturer of the OEM bearing in hopes of getting a new bearing from them, but they don't even list specially made bearing for the automotive industry...
Lower Steering Column Bearing.png

Steering column 100.JPG

Steering column 103.JPG

Steering column 105.JPG

The rust is removed and converted.
Steering column 107.JPG

Steering column 108.JPG

It's not that I haven't tried! I searched for years for a NOS one but there is none...
The part I need would be: 2950 504 - Lower Steering Column Bearing

My bearing is fine, just not like new. I makes very little noise.

I talked to a big bearing seller and tried to find a new ball bearing with the correct measurements but there is none available with the correct dimensions...

I even contacted the manufacturer of the OEM bearing in hopes of getting a new bearing from them, but they don't even list specially made bearing for the automotive industry...
View attachment 645041
View attachment 645042

View attachment 645043

View attachment 645044

The rust is removed and converted.
View attachment 645045

View attachment 645046
@mobileparts , Craig?

Weird, must be was new in his inventory, since we talked about it not too long ago.

Thanks, John!

Last edited:
Then I filled it with fresh grease and reinstalled the seals. It's not perfect, but it will work.

View attachment 644938

View attachment 644939

A NOS Horn Ring was installed.
View attachment 644940

View attachment 644941

View attachment 644942

Since the Column Jacket is welded originally, I had to cut it off. To reattach it, I used velcro.
View attachment 644943

The result is looking pretty nice if I may say so.
View attachment 644944

Just seeing this thread now. Wow, this is out of control. I've been missing out.

On the steering column, suggest to test the operation of the parking brake release vacuum switch to make sure it engages with the plastic tang on the shift tube. I recall on mine it didn't always work, it was a design thing and I had to modify it somehow.....

Just seeing this thread now. Wow, this is out of control. I've been missing out.

On the steering column, suggest to test the operation of the parking brake release vacuum switch to make sure it engages with the plastic tang on the shift tube. I recall on mine it didn't always work, it was a design thing and I had to modify it somehow.....

It is out of control, you're right! And I'm still loving it! :)

I did test the vacuum switch and it seems to work like it should! I will have to check it again when it's in the car tho.

Back