Separate names with a comma.
I think I saw a pit in one of those finished parts......
If someone finds a pit, he can keep it
This isn’t just a restoration. This car is being remanufactured. I have never seen anything
like it, but I am enjoying every picture and update. My ‘69 looks pretty good superficially but this car will be on another level of perfection!
I assembled some brake parts yesterday.
Amazing images, car parts as art - just amazing.
Awesome work and eye candy, as I have come to expect!
I have a question for you: Are you functionally testing components, like the brake pressure switch shown, to verify that they work prior to assembly, so at least you don’t have a dud before you get too far along? This may be important for parts that have been sitting for decades or were made in China?
I test parts when ever I can, yes. But a lot of parts can't be tested without the entire system working. I can't test the metering valve without the pressure from the brake fluid, so I have to do that when the system is complete.
Keep the updates coming!
The Hood had just a tiny bit cancer around one hole for the insulation, otherswise no rust at all! But a few small dings and dents and one big dent that was tricky to get out.
Now it's ready for CDC.
The Radiator Support was unfortunately quite more rusty. But nothing my bodyman couldn't fix!
Meanwhile I moved on and bolted the K-Member to the frame. The original big rubber bushings were shot of course...
But a friend of mine made me new bushings and center pins They are PU but a fairly soft mixture slightly stiffer then the original rubber ones.
Combined with the zinc plated and painted housings, the mounts came out great!
Next is going to be Front Suspension.
Super nice work! The fact that you're doing this from across the Atlantic is even more impressive, parts have to be in short supply there. It's amazing how many unique parts that were used on Imperials. One question I have is regarding the brake calipers. I always thought they used the Budd 4-piston calipers on '69 Imps & that was the last year for this. Is this incorrect or did they change to single piston some time during the model year?
Getting parts is not much more difficult then for you over in the US, but muc more expensive because of shipping, taxes and custom fees.
The 69 Imperial had Budd brakes until mid 69. The last ones build already had the Kelsey Hayes brakes. Nontheless, mine is a pretty early build car and had Budd brakes. But I used the KH brakes from my 72 donor Imp because parts are more available and/or cheaper.
I saw some fingerprints on those finished parts. I would investigate immediately.
Your body man...... how did you find someone like this that can fabricate those parts?
He seems like he specializes in this and not just some guy who works in a body shop in the corner garage.
I already did ;) I assembled the bushings with wax but wiped them clean after installation! ;)
My Bodyman is a true enthusiast and a lover of old american cars. And it's pretty helpful if the standards he is applying are as high as your own!
Everything was cleaned, all ferrous metals were redusted and freshly zinc plated, all new gaskets, wires, crimp terminals and new weatherproof connectors were installed.
(And yes, tested and they glow as they should! )
Same basic treatment for the Cruise Control Servo as well. Zinc plated, cleaned, new grease for the gearbox and a new filter under the "manifold".
Great to learn reassembly has begun. It's going to be good to see the excellence of the spray painter when that lovely plum color Is applied.
Hope everything goes well, though I can't imagine any issues considering the excellence of your work.
Oh, I'm expecting a lot of problems due the the complexity of the car. But they will all be solved with the immense Swarm knowledge of this forum, that's for sure!
My original Trunk Lid was rusted out entirely on the sides. Fortunately I had the Lid from my 72 donor Imperial. The donor Lid seemed to be rust free but my Bodyman found hidden rust in the fold of the lower edge of the Lid.
The only difference of the two Lids were, that the 69 has the sliding ornament that hides the Trunk Lock. The indentation for the lock cylinder on the "new" Lid is slightly differently angled but it should be fine anyway. He drilled the holes to attach the ornament to the "new" trunk lid and called it good.
We will test fit the lock cylinder next time I'm visiting him to be sure everything fits before paint tho.