1969 Imperial progress thread

A replacement door is on the way. Off of a 1969 300, it's still sporting the factory painted triple stripe.

There's a Chrysler door striker attached to the metal plate to secure the back end to the pallet. I think I overdid it on the number of bolts on the hinges. I forgot to take shots of the final product before I loaded it into the van.

View attachment 566802View attachment 566803View attachment 566804View attachment 566805View attachment 566806View attachment 566807

Jeff

Did you ship it domestic with Fedex or UPS ? What did you pay for domestic shipping ? I need to ship a crate with a bumper from Oregon to Texas. Fedex seems to cheapest but still 300$

The 300 must have been a real looker back then! Black with red interior, sounds pretty snazzy!

I agree. It would have been a nice looking car when it was new. That wasn't a common color combo on Chrysler products in that time frame. It didn't have much in the way of options. Probably just air conditioning, tinted glass and an AM radio. It was a bench seat car with no vinyl top. I can't even remember if I accompanied my friend to go to Jersey to pick it up. It was close to 25 years ago now.

Jeff

Damn! That is one nice looking crate!

I've always dreaded shipping sheet metal, storing it and moving it.

So much easier selling a nameplate or a medallion that fits in a small box.
Thanks!

I spent half a year doing line haul work for a Pennsylvania based LTL company, and having seen those guys in action on the docks, I know you have to expect that your freight is going get rough treatment going in and out of the trailers.

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

Jeff

I just got what you meant with the door striker on the metal plate! :D
So you say one could even open the door, still attached to the pallet?
It's a shame I will never see the pallet in person since the door will be loaded into a '73 Dart for it's way to Germany.

Correct. I literally closed the door on the pallet and locked it.

Jeff

Did you ship it domestic with Fedex or UPS ? What did you pay for domestic shipping ? I need to ship a crate with a bumper from Oregon to Texas. Fedex seems to cheapest but still 300$

We got a quote of $400 about a week ago. I'm hoping that they can stick to it considering how fast diesel prices are going up. I won't know the actual cost until the company that I work for receives the bill. We get a bit of a discount since we ship things on a regular basis. The shipping guy handled everything, and I don't actually know the name of the company he used. It's not one of the big, well known LTL shippers. When I was pricing things out, YRC had a much better rate than FedEx. They have an on-line price calculator on their website. YRC was $475 and FedEx was over $600. You might also be able to use Fastenall Freight if the parties involved are willing to travel to the store to drop off and pick up.

Jeff

In 2017 I shipped a Chrysler bumper with UPS, $75 from Jersey to the mid west. Crazy how times have changed.

I guess it's time to post an update since it's been a while. Even if there are no large updates I could report about.
I'm collecting parts for several projects. Which is time consuming and expensive, but not really exciting...

I was able to collect all NOS parts I need to finish the steering column, with exception of the Lower Steering Column Bearing (2950504).
I'm still looking for that. If someone has a lead to a NOS one or even a nice, rust free used one, please let me know.
2950504 - Lower Steering Column Bearing.png

Alternatively, I would just replace the bearing in the housing but was not able to find a new replacement either.
Lower Steering Column Bearing.png

Steering column 100.JPG

Steering column 103.JPG

Another project I'm working on with @jfillmore are a bunch of gaskets.
Since they are not reproduced yet, I've made digital patterns of all the gaskets. I've printed and cut out samples to make sure they will fit, which took me a few tries. I've send the final versions as DXF files to Jim from DMT.
Front Bumper Turn Signals
Front Bumper Turn Signals.jpg

Cornering Lights
Cornering Light Gaskets.jpg

Fender Top Turn Signals
Fender Top Turn Signals.png

Headlamp Motor
Headlamp Motor.png

Quarter Extensions
Quarter-extensions-gaskets.jpg

Taillights

tail light gasket-01.jpg

An update from Jim is still pending.

I had my bumpers deplated chemically last year. After that they went to my body man go get straightened. They were badly bent, dented and scratched, but he made them nice and straight again!
He even fixed two huge holes in one of the rear bumpers side blades which appeared after deplating.

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
2023-02-11 12.30.08.jpg
2023-02-11 12.30.18.jpg
2023-02-11 12.30.25.jpg
2023-02-11 12.30.28.jpg

I was surprised to find a lot of brazing applied from the factory under the original chrome! I guess Chrysler had trouble achieving crisp edges when stamping the bumpers.

In three weeks, the bumpers are going back to get Chromed! I'm really excited about the outcome!!

Last edited:
The new door I got from @bigmoparjeff is still on its way to Germany. It found its way into the trunk of a dart a friend is importing to Germany.
ETA in Rotterdam is 3/9, then I will testfit it onto the car and if it's ok, it will undergo the same CDC (E-Coating) treatment as the rest of the parts.
After that the car can FINALLY get painted..!

IMG-20221210-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230125-WA0013.jpg

One thing I was able to get done is all the interior trim! Yay.

As my attentive readers will surely remember, it was quite a challenge to find, buy and ship them to germany.

Then get them to bare metal without disturbing the OEM embossing was another big challenge. I had them laser cleaned in the end.
I have some cool videos of that process on Youtube.
I.e.

After that, they were zinc plated as all my parts and then recieved a nice, thin coat of semi gloss black paint.
I had the fiberglass repro side panels from ABC Moparts color matched in this process as well.
2022-04-05 16.58.39.jpg

2023-01-23 17.20.30.jpg

2023-01-23 17.20.35.jpg

2023-01-23 17.20.37.jpg

2023-01-23 17.20.41.jpg

2023-01-23 17.20.58.jpg

2023-01-23 17.21.26.jpg

2023-01-23 17.21.29.jpg

2023-01-23 17.21.31.jpg

In this process, the upper metal doorboard pieces got the same treatment.
2023-01-23 17.20.24.jpg

Last edited:
That's it for the bigger, more interesting updates. Besides them, I'm working on a million other small projects, finding and collecting parts and so on and so forth.

Alternatively, I would just replace the bearing in the housing but was not able to find a new replacement either.
McMaster-Carr

R12-2z is the number for the bearing on the left. R12-2RS is the number for a sealed bearing. Bearing numbers are kind of standard across brands. You should be able to either order it from McMaster-Carr, but I'll bet there's a bearing supplier in Germany that can get it for you, using that number.

Is that a seal on the right?

lower-steering-column-bearing-png.png

McMaster-Carr

R12-2z is the number for the bearing on the left. R12-2RS is the number for a sealed bearing. Bearing numbers are kind of standard across brands. You should be able to either order it from McMaster-Carr, but I'll bet there's a bearing supplier in Germany that can get it for you, using that number.

Is that a seal on the right?

View attachment 582263
I found similar bearings to the one you found here in Germany. Yes. But nothing fitting.
The OD is unfortunately bigger then stock and I can't fit that into the housing.
Original OD is 1-5/16"
R12-2Z OD is 1-5/8"

And yes, on the right picture I added the rubber dampener/seal it originally had. So the Housing ID is about 1-15/32"

I found similar bearings to the one you found here in Germany. Yes. But nothing fitting.
The OD is unfortunately bigger then stock and I can't fit that into the housing.
Original OD is 1-5/16"
R12-2Z OD is 1-5/8"

And yes, on the right picture I added the rubber dampener/seal it originally had. So the Housing ID is about 1-15/32"
Sorry, still not awake enough to have caught that.

Good for you Julian, may the car provide countless hours of enjoyment fixing it up. Each time you get to cross off something on your to do list moves you closer to hitting the Autobaun and staying in the right lane.

Have a nice day,

PT

Good for you Julian, may the car provide countless hours of enjoyment fixing it up. Each time you get to cross off something on your to do list moves you closer to hitting the Autobaun and staying in the right lane.

Have a nice day,

PT

I can't tell if this post is an insult or a lame attempt to make a joke. . .?!?

Have a nice day,

PT

You are aware that driving on the Continent is the same as North America, right? Driving in Europe is NOT the same as driving in the UK/Ireland.

You are aware that driving on the Continent is the same as North America, right? Driving in Europe is NOT the same as driving in the UK/Ireland.
I think he was referring to being in the hammer lane, aka passing lane.

Alan

I think he was referring to being in the hammer lane, aka passing lane.

Alan
You got it! Europe is the place to drive , in France they just tail gate you in the left lane till you move over, only got cought doing that once, in Italy they come up right behind you in the left lane and flicker their lights at you and give you one of those fingers and thumb together in the air gestures, only got cought doing that once.
In Germany, just get out of the way in the left lane as you don't know what speed cars are coming at, we were doing 160 km/h and something was coming behind us and it went by so fast, I couldn't tell you to this day what kind of car it was.
Julian will have all those Audis and Porshes and what ever speedsters that are out there slow down to admire his land yacht.

Back