1969 Imperial progress thread

You got it! Europe is the place to drive , in France they just tail gate you in the left lane till you move over, only got cought doing that once, in Italy they come up right behind you in the left lane and flicker their lights at you and give you one of those fingers and thumb together in the air gestures, only got cought doing that once.
In Germany, just get out of the way in the left lane as you don't know what speed cars are coming at, we were doing 160 km/h and something was coming behind us and it went by so fast, I couldn't tell you to this day what kind of car it was.
Julian will have all those Audis and Porshes and what ever speedsters that are out there slow down to admire his land yacht.
When I'm driving on an Autobahn with no speed limit, one of my eyes is always in the rear-view mirror to see what's coming from behind and at what speed. It's better to stay behind a truck than to risk my life unnecessarily!

In Germany on the autobahn ...we did 306km/h with 4 people in a challenger hellcat.

When I'm driving on an Autobahn with no speed limit, one of my eyes is always in the rear-view mirror to see what's coming from behind and at what speed. It's better to stay behind a truck than to risk my life unnecessarily!
Know exactly what you mean, genau!

in France they just tail gate you in the left lane till you move over, only got cought doing that once, in Italy they come up right behind you in the left lane and flicker their lights at you and give you one of those fingers and thumb together in the air gestures, only got cought doing that once.
Unfortunately, we actually invented what you describe there. ;)

That's what I do here in the US. I'll hook up with a semi driven by an independent (no fleet trucks, please) that's in the hammer lane and follow them. Great radar shield.

That's what I do here in the US. I'll hook up with a semi driven by an independent (no fleet trucks, please) that's in the hammer lane and follow them. Great radar shield.

All of those damned fleet trucks are speed-governed to 64 mph. Then the jackoffs run side-by-side for MILES on the freeway, backing up traffic and generally pissing folks off. GRRR!

Far as Autobahn driving, I had a '79 Celica GT coupe over there that would run 85 mph all day long. In the US, that's kind of a normal speed these days...but in 1990, you'd still be a rolling roadblock in the wrong situation. To pass in the left lane, is something that requires more looking in the mirrors than looking ahead. Only passed like that a handful of times with the Celica. One of my American friends had a 1987 BMW 735i that would flat scream on the 'Bahn. Going to Cologne or Aachen in that was always an experience!

The Imperial progress continues, Julian. I can't wait to see that car completed!

Last edited:
The Imperial progress continues, Julian. I can't wait to see that car completed!
After a successfull parts hunt yesterday I now have the passenger door from the '70 Imperial from the Netherlands, so progress will definitely go on!
I will strip the paint on the outside on saturday to better see the condition!
And then I will testfit it before sending it out for imerssion paint and rust removal and e-coating.

2023-02-27 20.44.46.jpg
2023-02-27 20.44.55.jpg
2023-02-27 20.45.01.jpg
2023-02-27 20.45.29.jpg
2023-02-27 20.45.51.jpg
2023-02-27 20.46.07.jpg
2023-02-27 20.46.15.jpg
2023-02-27 20.47.32.jpg

2023-02-27 20.46.19.jpg

All of those damned fleet trucks are speed-governed to 64 mph. Then the jackoffs run side-by-side for MILES on the freeway, backing up traffic and generally pissing folks off. GRRR
Just wait, we are all going to be speed limited. The wording still needs sorted, but it's coming. There are 2 proposals in front of the govt now. One for RF chips so cops can shoot the truck and get instant results load/ duty status, company good or bad DOT scores, etc., And the speed limiter. So the RF chips will get defeated because law enforcement will not want to buy the equipment to use the chips. So that leaves the speed limiters, which will cost no one but the trucks money to install, no foul on their side. So now it will be all trucks side by side, enjoy.

Being a fleet daycabber all my life, I never drove a tractor that wasn't governed at 67 mph or less. In the early days, it was mechanically governed at 2100 RPM and that geve you a whopping 66 mph or so. Then the computers came along and it was the same thing. 66-67 mph. Spent my whole life trying to pass some fleet bonehead trucker doing 64.99 mph. :BangHead:

Being a fleet daycabber all my life, I never drove a tractor that wasn't governed at 67 mph or less. In the early days, it was mechanically governed at 2100 RPM and that geve you a whopping 66 mph or so. Then the computers came along and it was the same thing. 66-67 mph. Spent my whole life trying to pass some fleet bonehead trucker doing 64.99 mph. :BangHead:
My step son's fleet truck (he drives for NFI) is governed to 65MPH. He likes the job, they are good to him, but says the governor is a PITA at times.

Back