1969 Sport Fury 6.4 with 8 speed transplant

HTRTrash

Reaction score
I have had my 69 Sport Fury for a year now. I driver her almost weekly and love it. However, my plan all along has been to make her a reliable cruiser with most modern comforts.

The plan is to install a 6.4 Hemi with an 8 speed automatic. I already have the complete setup from a 2017 donor.

I am looking for information if anyone has done one before. I have a DIYhemi.com computer and harness to control everything. I am a little more concerned with finding out information on transmission clarence and how much the transmission tunnel will have to be modified.

I'll post pictures when I get started.

FB_IMG_1699233135228.jpg

20231019_111600.jpg

20231019_111416.jpg

20220804_155646.jpg

20220214_092050.jpg

20220214_091930.jpg

20220214_091921.jpg

61064.jpeg

60238.jpeg

20220602_191900.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting thread appeared on replacing a THM4L80 transmission with the ZF 8-speed in Gen II Camaros. Seems that "Dr. EFI" has information on the electronics of that transmission swap. I was quite interested in their comments in that forum! The advantage of the ZF is that it is basically the same size as the normal THM400, which was OEM in those Camaros.

There used to be a thread in here of a guy who put a 5.7L Gen III Hemi in his '67 Fury w/TorqueFlite. Plus others to put the ZF behind RB V-8s, using pressure switches to run the transmission with.

A recent thread on putting a Gen III Hemi and ZF in a '66 Newport, with custom programming of a BMW transmission controller.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

An interesting thread appeared on replacing a THM4L80 transmission with the ZF 8-speed in Gen II Camaros. Seems that "Dr. EFI" has information on the electronics of that transmission swap. I was quite interested in their comments in that forum! The advantage of the ZF is that it is basically the same size as the normal THM400, which was OEM in those Camaros.

There used to be a thread in here of a guy who put a 5.7L Gen III Hemi in his '67 Fury w/TorqueFlite. Plus others to put the ZF behind RB V-8s, using pressure switches to run the transmission with.

A recent thread on putting a Gen III Hemi and ZF in a '66 Newport, with custom programming of a BMW transmission controller.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67
I should have been a little clearer with some of the other things I am doing as well. I have a DIYhemi.com computer and harness to control everything. I am a little more concerned with finding out information on transmission clarence and how much the transmission tunnel will have to be modified. Thanks for responding to my post.

Last edited:
some reading

This is my plan with my 71 Polara eventually. Watching this one.
Me too...have a 2012 5.7 and a 2014 8HP70 for my Fury. Going to keep all the OEM EFI stuff and use Sound German for the transmission.Holley for most everything else.

8hp is 9" tall at the back, very different than a TF. It's the only measurement I've taken on them but Holley now makes the trans cross member cutout and weld in kit that supposedly handles it.

I picked up an idea on one of the swap groups on FB.Guy put this transmission in a 1971 Dart and grafted in the transmission tunnel from a late model Challenger so he could bolt in the center console and shifter...pretty clean.

Back