1969 VIP - hardtop or fastback

roberthwrightjr

Reaction score
I bought my 69 VIP this March. It seems to be fairly unmolested and in much better shape than my other project cars
I have driven it quite a bit. Question: is it a hardtop coupe or fastback coupe?
20230423_120143.jpg

20230513_160332.jpg

Morning, I'm sure someone is checking the '69 Sales Brochures to get the official answer to your question. Until the Verified answer comes in, I'm going to say: A 2 Door Coupe, or in more general terms, a two door hardtop.

They pretty much got rid of the fast top term in 1969 and with the hardtop and formal roof terms. If the VIN has a 23 in it then it’s a hardtop with a rear window that curves outwards. If there is a 29 in the vin then it’s a formal roof with an inward curved rear window. Judging by the shape of the C pillars on your car, it would appear that you have a hardtop.

Yeah, what he said! Forgive me for not mentioning that fact in my first post. That is a nice looking specimen, one that actually runs down the road, even!

Gotta find those Skirts, maaan. It'll be sweet.

Here are some part numbers for you on the Skirts:
1969 2963458&9 (L&R)
1970 Same as 1969
1971 3505506&7 (L&R)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I contend that all three years used the same skirt. The bright trim may have changed a little, but the basic skirt itself remained the same. The Hard part will be finding the VIP Trim Band. The nice thing will be that you won't need WOMs for the Skirts. I know, I know...then there's the paint... hey, in for an ounce, in for a pound.

What would really be cool is if they are laying in your trunk, and you have yet to mention that to us. If so, just think of all the time, effort and money that you have been spared from spending!!!

PS-You can get all this type of info from the Crash Sheets, which are about the only Inexpensive thing about our hobby anymore!

Good luck. Merry Christmas everyone!

Yeah, what he said! Forgive me for not mentioning that fact in my first post. That is a nice looking specimen, one that actually runs down the road, even!

1969 2963458&9 (L&R)
1970 Same as 1969
1971 3505506&7 (L&R)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I contend that all three years used the same skirt. The bright trim may have changed a little, but the basic skirt itself remained the same. The Hard part will be finding the VIP Trim Band. The nice thing will be that you won't need WOMs for the Skirts. I know, I know...then there's the paint... hey, in for an ounce, in for a pound.

What would really be cool is if they are laying in your trunk, and you have yet to mention that to us. If so, just think of all the time, effort and money that you have been spared from spending!!!

PS-You can get all this type of info from the Crash Sheets, which are about the only Inexpensive thing about our hobby anymore!

Thanks for the info... I have the skirts. The car was repainted and the skirts don't quite match.

Thanks everyone. I have a PP23 ... so 1 of 4740 hardtop coupes. Maybe 500 survive?

And not to be plashemous ... but the car seems to be stock .... is there value keeping it stock?

Thanks everyone. I have a PP23 ... so 1 of 4740 hardtop coupes. Maybe 500 survive?

And not to be plashemous ... but the car seems to be stock .... is there value keeping it stock?
Beautiful car. Love the color!
There's nothing wrong with doing things that can be easily undone. It's your car.

Just as a point of clarity - no c-body was ever a "fastback" to my knowledge. That term is used with the 1966-1967 Chargers and 1967-1969 Barracudas (and some other makes, such as Mustang) where the roof line sloped all the way to the rear of the trunk. The term "fast top" is what was used with the c-bodies and was only 1967-1968 as far as I know. It was a similar sloping roof concept, but ended before the start of the trunk lid. The fast top roofline is one of my absolute favorites, second only to some of the Forward Look era rooflines.

1969 2963458&9 (L&R)
1970 Same as 1969
1971 3505506&7 (L&R)

YES! You HAVE THE Skirts. Good deal !!

1711100881614.jpeg

The Barracuda is a fastback with the roofline starting at the a pillar and ending at or very close to the edge of the rear. The Fury is a coupe with a huge trunk.

They pretty much got rid of the fast top term in 1969 and with the hardtop and formal roof terms. If the VIN has a 23 in it then it’s a hardtop with a rear window that curves outwards. If there is a 29 in the vin then it’s a formal roof with an inward curved rear window. Judging by the shape of the C pillars on your car, it would appear that you have a hardtop.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at local 69 Sport Fury but the B pillar is wider. And the car is rough for $5K Canadian.

C9053948-A0E0-4035-B15C-E59F95C7A564.jpeg

A1331B99-C66C-4CF2-904A-F6284A5E92E7.jpeg

519FD269-0463-4FB4-9AB0-0625288FD820.jpeg

Back