1970 C-body 22" radiator shroud (P/N 2998 330 )

I would get an electric fan, 16", set it as a pusher in the front, with a thermostatic switch. You can do this with all the hardware for $50, and have a more efficient cooling setup. In fact, that's what I DO with my 22" radiators! This winter, I've been running with JUST the electric pusher, no heavy iron salad chopper weighing my drive train down with it's dead inetia at all. Mind you, my 22" radiator is a rare old 3 core, 1965 one meant to cool in high altitude, running an AC, going uphill, in Hell, towing uranium ingots. It will do this, and not get over 210F, and with the pusher, it stays under 200.

You COULD invest in a GOOD 22" radiator, and that will make the shroud moot. I will watch my engine temperature this Spring, and decide on whether I'll hang the 7 blade salad chopper back on Gertrude's plant or not. I'm leaning toward NOT, but we'll see what comes.

I had built quite a NICE shroud for my aluminum radiator last summer that worked very well, BTW. Still, the salad chopper, even when clutched, does steal torque from your drive train, and I now realize that my old Mopar mentor probably was right on about using just electric cooling here.

I would get an electric fan, 16", set it as a pusher in the front, with a thermostatic switch.

Thank you for the suggestion. Regina FQ3 currently has an electric fan, set as a pusher in the front. It was installed by the previous owner, with a manual switch (I had to redo some of the wiring). That helps, but I don't want the extra noise. So I have bought an NOS 2998964 22" radiator that is correct for the car/model year, will flush the engine -- but if that does not suffice in the hot and humid summers we have here, I want to add a shroud. This is why I started this thread.

Still mystified why my 72 Fury 22" radiator came with no shroud or shroud mount on factory radiator. Does not seem rational.

Thank you for the suggestion. Regina FQ3 currently has an electric fan, set as a pusher in the front. It was installed by the previous owner, with a manual switch (I had to redo some of the wiring). That helps, but I don't want the extra noise. So I have bought an NOS 2998964 22" radiator that is correct for the car/model year, will flush the engine -- but if that does not suffice in the hot and humid summers we have here, I want to add a shroud. This is why I started this thread.

Right on, I dig the irritation w noise consideration. Here in the Old Pueblo, ambient summer temperature in traffic hits about 125F over the asphalt, which is why I've made engine cooling a TOP priority in my Moparian research and development here. Shrouds incontrovertibly help direct airflow through the radiator cooling vanes when properly sized, and installed. If you don't mind spending the premium cash for a proper OEM shroud, then it will doubtless help. You MIGHT have to get a heavier duty 22" radiator though. I have an NOS 22" radiator for my '68 which simply is WAY inadequate for Arizona heat. I suspect the previous owner cracked the previous block in no small part because he ran that damned little light duty 2 row radiator on the highway one summer day. That block should NOT have cracked, but you overheat them badly enough, and **** like that will happen.

3 rows of copper, or 2 rows of aluminum tubes at 1 inch minimum size for our southerly latitudes. In one regard, the supply chain shortages did me a favor: it forced me to rehabilitate the old heavy duty 22" radiator I had originally on our '66 Newport. That one is a true jewel of superb design.

If you can't shed enough heat after your shrouding and flushing, shop for a good 3 or 4 row copper radiator. I like aluminum for cost effective cooling, but when SERIOUS cooling is needed, copper is still King.

I see the 2998064 is rated JUST for a heater, which inclines me to suspect its very like the lighweight one I had to remove from Gertrude; 2 rows, no auto trans cooling. Test and verify, but I think the test will give the same results I saw here: send that one up to Canada.

Happy Moparing!

Back