NOT MINE 1970 Chrysler 300 *T code 440* Nebraska

@ayilar, The hood pad would have come with undercoating, code J55. It was optional on 300. This one does not have it.
1672345151918.jpeg

Looks like my C’s, all of which have undercoating (same exact appearance as above) and hood pad.

Must of been a VIP with the Motorola car phone (not cellphone) back in the day.
The cars been dolled up, has headrest covers and same on drivers door arm rest. Why would the driver door armrest need covering in 40k miles you have to ask yourself. Under hood may be painted as the latch appears to be same paint as body color. Is that not right?

Must of been a VIP with the Motorola car phone (not cellphone) back in the day.
The cars been dolled up, has headrest covers and same on drivers door arm rest. Why would the driver door armrest need covering in 40k miles you have to ask yourself. Under hood may be painted as the latch appears to be same paint as body color. Is that not right?

The cloth and vinyl bucket seats in the 1970 300s was a special order option and came with that specific headrest that differed from the more oval vinyl ones on the regular 300s with vinyl bucket seats.

I love the color combo on this car. Very fitting! But my issue is I believe that car had some front end collision repairs. One, the drivers fender fits a little funny, especially down low. That’s a characteristic of the front end being pushed up at the core support. The front valance is pretty funky. The fender tag area appears to have been brush painted. And the whole left front of the car is higher than the right. Thoughts?

Spoke with seller. Auto Temp does not work - they will double check but they put effort to get heat and A/C running and nada on both. Also, according to the dealer, car was repainted at some point - was originally red they believe. They see the red behind door panels and such. Original owner preferred brown is what they were told (it was the 70's....). Here is fender tag if somebody wants to decode. Had a trailer hitch when they bought it (fuel tank replaced as it was rubbing hitch). Story goes a Chrysler exec in NM ordered it from a dealer in MN. Has Holley square bore carb. They do not know if it was repainted due to accident.

1672428430170.png

FT6 surely isn't red, it is deep bronze metallic if the fender tag is original to the car. The front end also does look a bit warped and the driver side fender to door gap is excessive too. So caution might be warranted..........................

FT6 surely isn't red, it is deep bronze metallic if the fender tag is original to the car. The front end also does look a bit warped and the driver side fender to door gap is excessive too. So caution might be warranted..........................
Interesting. Perhaps the red body panel came from another car. Who knows. Just goes to show why to not buy a classics sight unseen.

I thought it must have had a respray… the period metallic colors did not last long under the sun.

I thought it must have had a respray… the period metallic colors did not last long under the sun.
The only thing that makes me pause a little is that the driver door end with the VIN and date decal on it doesn't look molested or repainted and matches the outside color pretty well. That color also doesn't really look all that close to the FT6 sample in the 1970 dealer color and trim selector, either. Maybe that decal was reproduced as I have heard someone is doing that these days...........................

Thank you for the link. Turns out that the 300 I remembered was actually a 1969 with "similar" paint and wheels but a white roof that sold at Mecum in Chattanooga two months ago a few months ago and was discussed here....
Wrong year, wrong wheels, wrong color. You're losing it, @ayilar!

Joking aside, good eye on the VT bubbles - you showed that like I do, but with nicer arrows.

But due to the lack of puckering in the laminated sheetmetal edges behind this trim, I'd say if there's any rust under the VT it's pretty minor.

1672451187544.png

But here are some oddities on the undercarriage. First time in my life I recall seeing a hoseclamp here, and there's also an oddball bolt. (???)
But most curious is the rolled-edge floorpan reinforcements that are really mashed, along with some undercoating that's strangely missing in the same area.

1672450715587.png

It does look quite nice, though, and any flaws are likely easy to ignore by the next owner.
But it does seem like Fusey prices are getting a bit out of hand, we are accepting prices that only 2-4 years ago we would've scoffed at.

Why would the driver door armrest need covering in 40k miles you have to ask yourself.
IIRC I've seen a number of cracked armrests on lower-mileage cars, esp before reproductions became available. Here's a 40k armrest, and from near-20 years ago.

1672452123186.png

I love the color combo on this car. Very fitting! But my issue is I believe that car had some front end collision repairs. One, the drivers fender fits a little funny, especially down low. That’s a characteristic of the front end being pushed up at the core support. The front valance is pretty funky. The fender tag area appears to have been brush painted. And the whole left front of the car is higher than the right. Thoughts?
Here's a pic from the listing. I agree, the driverside fender looks a little high, look at the rubber flap that goes between bumper and fender, compare to teh passenger side. Looks like the front tip of the fender is porpoised down at the last ~6".
And, yes the radiator support looks like it's had some very particular paint touchup - it looks too fresh around there.

1672452326334.png

But here's the pic that I noticed immediately, and kept gnawing at me. I said nothing because I thought I was being too suspicious.
That reflection should be near-straight - not dipping downward as if that fender has an outward lip on it.
And the bottom corner looks funny, like it's out too far compared to behind the wheel.
One might say it's all in camera angle, but I'd bet my money it's real. Esp because you can see it in the bumper portrait above and the other side seems different, the way I would expect.

1672452266268.png

1672452762807.png

I retract my prior statement about 'flaws that can be ignored' - this car needs eyeballed before spending ~$20k on it to see what this is about.

Wrong year, wrong wheels, wrong color. You're losing it, @ayilar!

Joking aside, good eye on the VT bubbles - you showed that like I do, but with nicer arrows.

But due to the lack of puckering in the laminated sheetmetal edges behind this trim, I'd say if there's any rust under the VT it's pretty minor.

View attachment 573772

But here are some oddities on the undercarriage. First time in my life I recall seeing a hoseclamp here, and there's also an oddball bolt. (???)
But most curious is the rolled-edge floorpan reinforcements that are really mashed, along with some undercoating that's strangely missing in the same area.

View attachment 573770

It does look quite nice, though, and any flaws are likely easy to ignore by the next owner.
But it does seem like Fusey prices are getting a bit out of hand, we are accepting prices that only 2-4 years ago we would've scoffed at.
Excellent eye! I noticed the new bolt. Chalk that one up to u joint replacement, someone lost one of the originals.

My '71 New Yorker has the same issue with the floor pans. I doubt it's original, maybe snagged on something? Or someone poking around for rust down there?

I didn't even see the hose clamp on the torsion bar. That is very suspicious, the boot looks like it has seen better days too.

IIRC I've seen a number of cracked armrests on lower-mileage cars, esp before reproductions became available. Here's a 40k armrest, and from near-20 years ago.

View attachment 573774

Here's a pic from the listing. I agree, the driverside fender looks a little high, look at the rubber flap that goes between bumper and fender, compare to teh passenger side. Looks like the front tip of the fender is porpoised down at the last ~6".
And, yes the radiator support looks like it's had some very particular paint touchup - it looks too fresh around there.

View attachment 573776

But here's the pic that I noticed immediately, and kept gnawing at me. I said nothing because I thought I was being too suspicious.
That reflection should be near-straight - not dipping downward as if that fender has an outward lip on it.
And the bottom corner looks funny, like it's out too far compared to behind the wheel.
One might say it's all in camera angle, but I'd bet my money it's real. Esp because you can see it in the bumper portrait above and the other side seems different, the way I would expect.

View attachment 573775

View attachment 573783

I retract my prior statement about 'flaws that can be ignored' - this car needs eyeballed before spending ~$20k on it to see what this is about.

Excellent eye to you too sir! You are without a doubt correct. She has been ditched hard! On the plus side that does look like original exhaust, how often do you see that?

The rimblow steering wheel has the same cracks in it that my former NY’er’s wheel had. A big slot at 12 o’clock, and smaller cracks at 6, 8.30 and 9.30.

What no mention of the blown up muffler?
Motor and transmission has probably been out. Why didn't they paint the oil pan to match the Mark Whoaman shiny engine paint?
I wasn't going to say anything about the hose clamp on the torsion bar, only The Shadow knows what kind of work has been done in this cars life.
I see in the eBay pictures what your talking with the passenger floor, could be off road or maybe some gas station jockey improper floor jacking. Car looks to have had some steering parts replaced in it's life as the nuts don't match the surrounding rust.
No Yay or Nay on the painted hood latch, what else...

I’d noticed that wave in the fender and the leading edge just didn’t “taper in” at the bottom as it should. Saw the valance and figured it was just tweaked. Then noticed the front view and how you can see way more of the hood surface on the pass side v. drivers side. She’s pretty bent. Wonder if the paint was pre or post event? Wonder if it could be pulled on a rack and would the fender relax? Shame, great looking car otherwise.

049716BB-0E43-4693-89C6-4CDCDDA63C7C.jpeg

Funny about the hose clamp on the torsion bar boot. Last couple old Mopars I've had came with this "repair." I remember doing similar personally in 80's on a driveway no-budget big block Dart conversion. Was an upgrade over zip ties.

Funny about the hose clamp on the torsion bar boot. Last couple old Mopars I've had came with this "repair." I remember doing similar personally in 80's on a driveway no-budget big block Dart conversion. Was an upgrade over zip ties.
Did the car roll of the assembly line with any clamps on the rubber balloon seal? I don't think so... so why would anyone need a clamp?
There should be tons of NOS & Re-pop seals around, why not just replace them?

If you're referring to this plate, I don't recall if it should be black or body color.
But regardless, it's fresh, teh spring and lever attest to that.

View attachment 573837
No I'm talking about the latch on the hood not the release on the core support.

(edit) The picture is not on the eBay AD, I saw it on the previous linked proxibid auction site photos.

HOOD.LATCH.jpg

Last edited:
Back