NOT MINE 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr Hardtop - Fr.29,888 - Oberglatt, Zürich, Switzerland

By the way, I also noted in period Automobil Revue Katalogs (1970 and 1971) I happened to be looking at the other day, that the NY'er was listed at about the same it sold for now. (Back in the day it was around 32 thousand Swiss Franken.)
I am afraid that you forgot the FX rate. The USD (US dollar) has lost more than half its value against the CHF (Swiss franc) since CH43TOF123617 was first sold. Here is a chart from 1975-2021, but you get the drift...

USD_per_CHF_1975_2021.png

I am afraid that you forgot the FX rate…..”

Oh, I did it on purpose. Of course I understand the variations in exchange rates and all the consequent effects. I was merely cutting corners for the sake of a story. Poor joke, I admit.

Patrick66: No I haven't and with the difference in currency rates.... I wouldn't! It is a nice car however, IMO, too rich for me. I'm an addmitted Cheap ***.... LOL!

Dodge and Plymouth "generally" were sold/badged as Chrysler in Europe. You'll even see a "Chrysler Viper".

In the 1950's there were Dodge Kingsways (a.k.a. Plodges) and DeSoto Diplomats that basically were Plymouths with the respective marque's front end. These were sold in many countries throughout the world, not only Europe. I don't know when this concept ended.

After Chrysler Corp. had acquired French automaker Simca and the British Rootes group they were (or thought they were) big in Europe. I am not aware of any rebadged models sold during that time, while I am unsure when it comes to the Valiant perhaps marketed under the Chrysler name.

After the Simca adventure ended by selling the outfit to Peugeot-Citroen, Chrysler Corp. pretty much retreated from the European market.

Then in the late 1980's (it must have been after 1987 when Chrysler bought AMC-Renault) Chrysler Corp. again set foot on the European market. At that time, every marketing effort was concentrated on the Chrysler marque. They sold pretty much any model as a Chrysler, including the Chrysler Vision (the Eagle Vision in the U.S.) and the Chrysler Voyager (versus the Chrysler Town & Country Minivan). That also included the Chrysler Viper.

Also, only "A" and "C" body cars were built with available RHD for the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and India, to name a few. NO "B" or "E"-body cars were built with RHD, nor were any built in Europe. The LHD versions were available.

When it comes to the Fuselage era, I know of the South-African built Chrysler 383 (basically a Dodge Polara with RHD) and the Australian Dodge Phoenix (becoming basically a Plymouth Fury with RHD in the late 1960's). I never saw any other RHD C-body produced in that time frame.

Nice car! Interior very nice...steering wheel looks perfect and "Rimblow" intact. Quite steep on the price $$ though! Someone in Europe will enjot it once the price gets cut in half!

it sold last week and has a new owner in switzerland.
It was priced reasonably considering the condition it was in.

Carsten

This one is Swiss-assembled, at the Schinznach-Bad plant of Automontage Schinznach AG (now named AMAG). It received the kits from the US, and then assembled the cars. Perhaps the F means this Swiss plant, or that the kits were shipped from the Newark factory.

no C-bodies got assembled over here in europe.
Every car which was to be sold new in switzerland "officially" had to go through AMAG though. They added some details to the cars and made adjustments&repairs as the quality was often not what swiss customers expected. They had the same issue with the plant in Rotterdam (NL), too which sometimes had quality problems

Carsten

I know of at least one Imperial (1958) that was swiss-assembled. Maybe on a exception basis, some

I don't remember seeing the fender tag in the ad. Just that Automontage Schinznach AG tag. The "farb" line ("color" in German) shows the model, but a research on Google show that this assembly plant oftenly put the model of the car on that line instead of the color code.

And maybe the plant assembled some other cars than A-bodies, on a per-demand basis, for tax reasons.

View attachment 483383

another good example.
This 1970 Dodge Charger R/T was built in the St. Louis, MO plant in the US like ALL 1970 Chargers. It was a complete car when it arrived in switzerland.

Every car which was to be sold new in switzerland "officially" had to go through AMAG though. They added some details to the cars and made adjustments&repairs as the quality was often not what swiss customers expected….
Carsten

So the end of the assembly line was in Zurich, at AMAG, so to speak. As far as I know, a somewhat similar procedure happened in Finland, too, back in the day. It took the Berner Company (which was the official importer of Chryslers and Plymouths up until 1976) three weeks to fix everything up (in 1970). They installed an extra leaf to the rear suspension, to give one example.

As far as I know there was a very specific person or place in Oz that did the conversions to RHD E bodies.
Also the seat belts had to be changed in Oz.
I am not sure what year the first picture is but I believe it is an A body 67-9

righthandbarracuda.jpg

rightHandCuda (2).jpg

So the end of the assembly line was in Zurich, at AMAG, so to speak. As far as I know, a somewhat similar procedure happened in Finland, too, back in the day. It took the Berner Company (which was the official importer of Chryslers and Plymouths up until 1976) three weeks to fix everything up (in 1970). They installed an extra leaf to the rear suspension, to give one example.

they arrived as complete running/driving cars. All these cars have fender tags.
At AMAG they installed a headlamp flasher on the steering column in example for the Autobahn.
Had it on my swiss 1971 New Yorker and my swiss sold 71 Challenger R/T
Since the 60s all Bias ply tires got removed and got replaced by radial tires instead.

Carsten

Back