NOT MINE 1970 Chrysler Newport Convertible (383-2, Denver, 87k miles, $13.5k, two-tone gold)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This Newport 'vert has been available for two weeks in Denver, CO on CL and FB. The ask is $13.5k. CE27L0C157328 looks nice. She has been repainted in a different color than the original FY6 Citron gold below the side mouldings. Lots of documentation.

The ad seems like it provides an unvarnished description of the car:

"This is a car I acquired last year and have done A Lot of work on. Including New Heater/AC core. New power brake Booster, N.O.S. Carburetor 383 2bbl, Brakes All around. New Fuel tank and sending unit. I wanted to get it back on the road. The previous owner of 13 years rarely drove it. It only has 87K miles. When I got it, the rear quarters were in primer. So, since I knew just painting the quarters would not match at all, I had the Entire lower half painted as a 2 tone. Not a show paint job by any means. And the paint is faded. All the trim is there. The Convertible top is ok, but could use replaced. The AC and radio do not work and the rear driver-side window can be finicky at times. The car runs good. Power Convertible top works good. I'd give the car a 6 out of 10. Far from perfect, but a great old Mopar convertible. (...) I replaced the Entire rear Bumper assembly with a 71' Chrysler 300 assembly. Looks cool. I kept Everything from the factory Newport assembly if you wanted to switch it back, Nothing was cut or altefred on the body.

I have reams of paper-work from the previous owner in a folder. Have the build sheet as well. There was no spare tire when I got it, but have the Entire jack assembly. I can locate a spare tire if that's a big deal. Just hadn't put time towards that.
"

00H0H_gHBCaUm5Et2z_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_gYpUY4IkrgEz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_jugjZtMWh4Bz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_lcu7LYDKsV2z_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_8lTUfrHlzxXz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_2ZgEERiNY7Yz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_iM4OIzYJ8Soz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_fufhsB8u1vaz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

01313_da5hQppnF3kz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00000_7ucQx1sFGhmz_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

Decent car, presentable, but price seems high for the cosmetic work it needs.
And the color mismatch in the seatcovers, front and rear, seems really odd.

the color mismatch in the seatcovers, front and rear, seems really odd.
This may be a lighting artifact. The different plastics in the 1970 gold vinyl interior seems to age differently, leading to some color variation -- something that artificial lighting emphasizes.

the driver's side seat bottom has clearly been been replaced, it would be pretty hard to match the stitching and padding look.

the driver's side seat bottom has clearly been been replaced, it would be pretty hard to match the stitching and padding look.
SMS has the correct material, and the stitching can be matched by the right upholsterer. Been there, done that. But in this case, indeed, neither the material color (subject to my earlier caveat) nor the pattern seems correct.

PS: I have just posted this car's broadcast sheet in the Last of the Convertibles registry.

Last edited:
This may be a lighting artifact. The different plastics in the 1970 gold vinyl interior seems to age differently, leading to some color variation -- something that artificial lighting emphasizes.
Agreed. I have a 73 Newport with a white interior and even after keeping it inside for over 23 years it is amazing how different plastic parts have yellowed. Even with no sun hitting it. It happens over time.

This Newport 'vert has been available for two weeks in Denver, CO on CL and FB. The ask is $13.5k. CE27L0C157328 looks nice. She has been repainted in a different color than the original FY6 Citron gold below the side mouldings. Lots of documentation.

The ad seems like it provides an unvarnished description of the car:

"This is a car I acquired last year and have done A Lot of work on. Including New Heater/AC core. New power brake Booster, N.O.S. Carburetor 383 2bbl, Brakes All around. New Fuel tank and sending unit. I wanted to get it back on the road. The previous owner of 13 years rarely drove it. It only has 87K miles. When I got it, the rear quarters were in primer. So, since I knew just painting the quarters would not match at all, I had the Entire lower half painted as a 2 tone. Not a show paint job by any means. And the paint is faded. All the trim is there. The Convertible top is ok, but could use replaced. The AC and radio do not work and the rear driver-side window can be finicky at times. The car runs good. Power Convertible top works good. I'd give the car a 6 out of 10. Far from perfect, but a great old Mopar convertible. (...) I replaced the Entire rear Bumper assembly with a 71' Chrysler 300 assembly. Looks cool. I kept Everything from the factory Newport assembly if you wanted to switch it back, Nothing was cut or altefred on the body.

I have reams of paper-work from the previous owner in a folder. Have the build sheet as well. There was no spare tire when I got it, but have the Entire jack assembly. I can locate a spare tire if that's a big deal. Just hadn't put time towards that.
"

View attachment 543752

View attachment 543753

View attachment 543754

View attachment 543755

View attachment 543756

View attachment 543757

View attachment 543758

View attachment 543759

View attachment 543760

View attachment 543761
This looks like a very solid starting point for a convertible. Alot of work was done by current owner.

But in this case, indeed, neither the material color (subject to my earlier caveat) nor the pattern seems correct.

And that's what I meant, the material sheen, pattern, etc suggests that someone has selectively repaired sections of the seats with 'close' material.

It would seem such a repair, even if you can't afford the factory-correct upholstery, at least getting the seats to match each other in the 'close' material and sewing style would be better than a botch-job. Especially when the surrounding material/stitching is suspect to degrade afterward. And there appears to be a seam-pop in the upper part of the driver's seat, perhaps an example of what happens to the surrounding original material.

Back