1970 Chrysler Newport restoration opinions needed.

NWPT70

Reaction score
I have been in the process of restoring my newly acquired 70 Chrysler Newport 2 Door. The body work is now complete and it is time for new paint and vinyl top. I need some critique on what order should I have the top and paint done. Is installing the top first then paint the better way to go? Or is this just a matter of preference? I have already applied a nice coat of POR 15 on the roof to ensure rust will never be an issue under the vinyl when it is installed. Anyways, I was planning on having a new black top installed then repainting the car in its original citon gold metallic but am also open to other color opinions/combos. Any thoughts/input?

12470043_10153404730463174_1832018165_o.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, why would you put the vinyl on before painting?
I was just considering it may eliminate any risk of the new paint being damaged by the installer of the top.

One issue that I would be worried about is adhesion with the POR-15. Don't get me wrong, it's a great product that I have used many times, but there are limitations. First, it doesn't adhere well to previously painted surfaces. It really likes rusty metal or at least, metal that has been ground to give it some "teeth" to stick to. I've seen POR-15 pull off in sheets on painted surfaces. Then there's adhesion to the POR-15. It has a slick surface that most paint won't stick to. It dries hard as a rock so it's difficult to sand the surface. I think the last thing you want is to have an expensive vinyl top lift off after all your work. If you've addressed all this, great. Let us know how it all goes please.

Back to the car. I'd have it painted first. The paint needs to be up under the vinyl at the sail panel so you don't have any rust under the top or any issue with the paint not adhering near the vinyl. There's also a chance that the top could be damaged.

The only advantage that I could see to doing the top first is the slight possibility that the paint work could be damaged during the top installation. There's not much of a chance to that and paint is easier to fix.

One issue that I would be worried about is adhesion with the POR-15. Don't get me wrong, it's a great product that I have used many times, but there are limitations. First, it doesn't adhere well to previously painted surfaces. It really likes rusty metal or at least, metal that has been ground to give it some "teeth" to stick to. I've seen POR-15 pull off in sheets on painted surfaces. Then there's adhesion to the POR-15. It has a slick surface that most paint won't stick to. It dries hard as a rock so it's difficult to sand the surface. I think the last thing you want is to have an expensive vinyl top lift off after all your work. If you've addressed all this, great. Let us know how it all goes please.

Back to the car. I'd have it painted first. The paint needs to be up under the vinyl at the sail panel so you don't have any rust under the top or any issue with the paint not adhering near the vinyl. There's also a chance that the top could be damaged.

The only advantage that I could see to doing the top first is the slight possibility that the paint work could be damaged during the top installation. There's not much of a chance to that and paint is easier to fix.

Thanks for that input. The roof had some surface rust and I had sanded it down before applying the POR 15 but your point is very concerning regarding the vinyl top to the POR 15. I will be looking into this further. Im curious if anyone else has tried adhereing a vinyl top over POR 15. I see know also why it makes sense to paint the car first then apply to top! thanks all

would have to agree with john...por on roof under vynal not best idea....would paint then put vynal on...most of the folks that do vynal are pretty skilled and going to take care when applying vynal....kinda like flashing...want paint as far up as you can get it then idealy vynal will cover at least 1/2-1 in overlap...this way you never have rust at that transition point

My New Yorker I had the top done then paint
Ditto the BoaB.
The top installers (different one each time) were adamant to do the top before paint.As mentioned in fear of scratching the paint or worse.
Both cars the metal was done in quality epoxy primer and then scuffed to remove the sheen using aa 3M scotch pad as requested by the top installers.
Then laquer thinners were hand wiped to remove any residue/dust.
The glue used has a less than 30 minute window before it sets so the top can be positioned,tugged and pulled tight.
I am afraid the POR 15 may be too hard .Check with your installer regarding his preferences.

FYI,back in the day,factory vinyl top cars did not get any paint on the roofs at all to save time and money.
We enthusiasts get the pleasure of repairing rust damage once the old top is removed.

Paint then top. You can sand the POR15 with a coarse grit DA sander to dull it, or have your painter apply a self-etching primer then paint. When I used POR15 on the frame I went with the semi-gloss over the sanded metal, and then misted gloss black as it was tacking up (finger drag dry). Dried hard as a rock and high gloss. That's expensive stuff to hide under a vinyl roof, IMHO.

I would agree with everyone else as far as the order of operations. Far more likely that the vinyl top would get messed up during the paint operation then the paint getting messed up during vinyl top installation.

If the vinyl is put on first, then the new paint line might show where you had to mask it.
A lot of our old Barges have trim where the top meets paint that will hide that imperfection.
The top install before or after paint I conclude is a matter of personal preference agreed upon the owner and installer and or painter..

Paint then top. You can sand the POR15 with a coarse grit DA sander to dull it, or have your painter apply a self-etching primer then paint. When I used POR15 on the frame I went with the semi-gloss over the sanded metal, and then misted gloss black as it was tacking up (finger drag dry). Dried hard as a rock and high gloss. That's expensive stuff to hide under a vinyl roof, IMHO.
I did something similar many years ago. I painted on the POR-15 and then sprayed lacquer (yea, that long ago) primer on it while the POR-15 was still tacky. From there I could top coat it. It turned out great.

I've also used POR-15 with fiberglass cloth with some really good results, but that's for another thread.

Currently as she sits with all the body work done. Just sent her out to get block sanded and primed.

newportprimed.jpg

2016-01-27 08.44.02.png

Back