SOLD 1970 Dodge Polara Custom-VERY NICE EXAMPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MJFUR

If you put an At sign @ in front of the member you are trying to reach they will get a notification that you have mentioned them in a thread. Like this.
@watchfatha
Your being paged,,,,,

Thanks. Sorry, I have a very poor understanding of how this site works.

How do I clear out whatever box is full?
Click on your inbox (upper right by your name) Then "show all" (lower left in the box). You can put a check in the box before the message title and then "leave conversation" to remove it.

I like the idea of a mis-stamping, and I suspect that @69CoronetRT also will.

Here's my GUESS and nothing more due to lack of data to support my theory (ANOTHER reason to save every tag, window sticker and broadcast sheet possible)

Some 70's codes for package cars and body styles get a little wonky.

For example:

70 Barracuda and Challenger Coupe cars carry the BS23 and JH23 hard top VIN code on the tag but also the A93 coupe package code on the tag instead of a typical 21 Coupe body style designation. The coupe body style is actually coded as a package would be.

70 Sport Fury GTs Carry the PH23 VIN but the A52 'package' code an also a PP23 designation.

70 S23 cars carry a PH23 VIN but an A51 'package' code and PS23 designation.

It's as if certain A codes in 1970 indicate a 'super' package code where normal package parameters are exceeded and virtually change the body style and/or model designation of the car.

Without any other verification, I'm wondering of the A74 code is such a designation for the DM VIN.

Do we have any other A74 cars that are NOT DM cars?
Do all DM cars code A74?

Does anyone else remember the thread where I asked about the 70 Dodge C body production numbers? I think this very topic was the root cause for them not balancing. We could not reconcile the Custom numbers as they were accounted for differently due to the A74 code (I can't find the thread).

You also have to consider the A71 (Polara Special) and A77 (Monaco only???) packages may fall under this same line of thinking. They are Super packages in some way.

IF this is the correct possibility for the decoding, then we have to take another look at the F* VIN cars that pop up now and then and take another look at why they code F* and are, maybe, not typos but indeed an actual specific model designation.

Take aways:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, take the time to snap pictures of fender tags and look for broadcast sheets and window stickers in any junk yard cars, cars you part out or at car shows. Every piece of information is valuable in some way.

A lot of published information or 'common belief' is incomplete or erroneous. Research is ongoing.

Last edited:
Without any other verification, I'm wondering of the A74 code is such a designation for the DM VIN.

Do we have any other A74 cars that are NOT DM cars?
Do all DM cars code A74?
Well, the one tag I have of a 4dr 1970 Polara Custom has the A74 tag in it. That car was for sale in 2019:

For Sale - 1970 Dodge Polara

However, that is not true of this 2dr 1970 Polara Custom:

For Sale - 1970 Dodge Polara CUSTOM

Does anyone else remember the thread where I asked about the 70 Dodge C body production numbers?
You mean, this one? 70 Dodge C body research help please

Last edited:
Well, the one tag I have of a 4dr 1970 Polara Custom has the A74 tag in it. That car was for sale in 2019:

For Sale - 1970 Dodge Polara

However, that is not true of this 2dr 1970 Polara Custom:

For Sale - 1970 Dodge Polara CUSTOM

You mean, this one? 70 Dodge C body research help please

Thank you for finding the thread.

The first car is new to me and reinforces the theory of DM with A74.

The second car, 113042, is a DL car, not a DM so I wouldn't anticipate seeing the A74 code.
70_DL23_E61_D32_FY4_113042.jpeg

I was trying to contact the Seller, but their In Box is full. Can the Seller please contact me?
Thanks. Sorry, I have a very poor understanding of how this site works.
This is exactly why comments and conversations are against sale rules. I found MJFUR's post buried in amongst all the posts about a A74 option that you guys still don't have a answer. for. Now I see a separate conversation about someone else's car and options. If you want to chat and research that stuff, start a separate thread and keep it out of the sale thread. Let's have respect for the sellers here.

This is exactly why comments and conversations are against sale rules. I found MJFUR's post buried in amongst all the posts about a A74 option that you guys still don't have a answer. for. Now I see a separate conversation about someone else's car and options. If you want to chat and research that stuff, start a separate thread and keep it out of the sale thread. Let's have respect for the sellers here.
Mike, you should go and look through the old for sale ads, and see the amount of information pertaining to specific vehicles that are being sold (71 Fury, 68 VIP 2 door and so on), oftentimes much more informative than a gen disc thread. It's what made this place unique, and helped me learn much more than I expected. And the commentary is mostly centered on the model of the car being sold, helping to understand the car better for those interested. I've bought cars off this site because of the comments, through the banter I decided to buy them. I'd have missed out on some good memories if not for the back and forth with the members.

Back to the car for sale...

Mike, the seller himself asked for info about the A74 package. I therefore submit that the conversation that ensued from the seller's own question was in fact respectful of the latter's own desires.
What does the A74 code mean? THanks

To get back to the car for sale: @watchfatha -- sorry we could not help on A74, but we tried. Good luck with the sale :)

Mike, you should go and look through the old for sale ads, and see the amount of information pertaining to specific vehicles that are being sold (71 Fury, 68 VIP 2 door and so on), oftentimes much more informative than a gen disc thread.

Which makes it disorganized and hard for newer members to find the information later.

1970 DODGE POLARA CUSTOM 4 DOOR SEDAN
SALE PENDING SALE PENDING
(Looks like CHP undercover car-and has original 383)
Really nice 1970 Polara Custom with nearly flawless original interior, nice original color repaint and factory AC. 63,000 miles. Not even a door chip!
Looks fantastic and drives very well, but stiffer than standard because it has heavy duty suspension-and a GIANT front control bar.

NO LEAKS
NO OVERHEAT
NO SMOKE
3” CUSTOM DUAL exhaust system front to rear-Sounds Incredible!
CUSTOM ALUMINUM RADIATOR
Upgraded Alternator
New belts/hoses
MOPAR engine Dress up kit
New Edelbrock Carburetor
Electronic Ignition
REAL COP WHEELS!
Near New wide VOGUE Tires
Starts instantaneously/ hot or cold.
Drives arrow straight
All good glass/chrome/body
Not perfect but looks it from 10 feet
Needs headliner/cracked dash/two minor rust areas (back window)
Make me an offer over $5k

View attachment 496201

View attachment 496202

View attachment 496203

View attachment 496204

View attachment 496205

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back