1970 Fury, Evidence of Fender Bender

Installed Cooper Cobra 275/60 R15 tires on my 1970 Fury convertible, stock 8.75 rear. I installed them after reading on FCBO that they would fit. The one on the right side fit just fine, but the one on the left side, not so much. I installed the tire and rim, took the car for a test drive, and heard rubbing noises every time I made a left turn. I had never noticed evidence of body damage in the left rear quarter, so I was puzzled.
View attachment 212650
I jacked up the rear of the car, took the tire off, and looked closely at the wheel well. I got a reminder of what body repair looks like. You can also see the rub marks above the repair.
View attachment 212651
View attachment 212652
View attachment 212653
View attachment 212654
Bill @Fury440 suggested this solution. In my case, luckily, after 2 tries the rubbing stopped.
View attachment 212655
Thanks Bill for the advice. I'm also grateful that whoever hung the quarter did, at least in my opinion, a really good job. And for anyone who runs into tire rub, the pictures may indicate your problem. Just thought I'd post this is FYI.
I would like to interject here and only because I really can't get a good understanding of the photo.

Convertibles had the top of the wheel well chopped off and the vertical piece welded on to make room for the top to fold up into the trunk . I'm not sure how cleanly that was done .

I've also had in the past a couple cars that the tire ( 275) would rub on one side. Presuming the cars had some repair or damage at sometime, but one was a survivor of 30,000 miles. After posting questions on several boards it was clear to me that rears were not always 100% identical. There must have been a tolerance where it could have been 1/2 " off center or what would be considered normal and still be acceptable. .

That may not apply here as she certainly could have been damaged. I'm only offering an other view ...or possibility.

Hi Dave. @polara71 I think the seam/ridge in the left side wheel well indicates a past crash.
I certainly could be wrong, but the same area on the other side is clean and smooth.
20180909_124909.jpg

20180909_124915.jpg

I was just expressing my gratitude to Bill for a cheap solution to the tire rub in the left side wheel well.
Pics of non-rubbing tire today
20181014_150815.jpg

20181014_150840.jpg

I have to say that @Aidan1976 rec for rear tire size filled the wheel wheel nicely. Thanks, Aidan.

Hi Dave. @polara71 I think the seam/ridge in the left side wheel well indicates a past crash.
I certainly could be wrong, but the same area on the other side is clean and smooth.
View attachment 220928
View attachment 220929
I was just expressing my gratitude to Bill for a cheap solution to the tire rub in the left side wheel well.
Pics of non-rubbing tire today
View attachment 220931
View attachment 220932
I have to say that @Aidan1976 rec for rear tire size filled the wheel wheel nicely. Thanks, Aidan.

I couldnt see that on my device this morning, it is still faint on the " big screen" but I see something . You see it in front of you so it must be obvious and probably a bit disappointing

A 275 60 is all you can get without more of a back spacing on the wheel . 235 70s on the front looks perfect anything larger and its too big anything smaller than a 225 70 and you might as well be rolling on the rotor . :thumbsup:

anything smaller than a 225 70 and you might as well be rolling on the rotor . :thumbsup:
I guess I need a bigger tire! 215/65 up front on the 500, wheel limits tire size. I love my 235's on the front of the gray car, and I was worried they wouldn't fit.

I guess I need a bigger tire! 215/65 up front on the 500, wheel limits tire size. I love my 235's on the front of the gray car, and I was worried they wouldn't fit.

I was speaking of 69-73 . I have minimal experience with slabs but I would think they are undersized as you stated.

I was speaking of 69-73 . I have minimal experience with slabs but I would think they are undersized as you stated.
The front end I'd think would be very similar if not the same, but I haven't dove into a fusie at all.

If it weren't for the "vintage" rims I scored, I'd have wider tires up. They are actually 0.11" narrower than the stock 8.55x14 tires the car was born with. I'll have to wait for spring to redo the front end and find out how squirrelly the tires are vs the suspension being worn.

Older thread but seems like a good place to add my experience on my 69. I used one of those $ wheelrite plastic tools to measure correctly. I didn't. In the back is 275/55-17 (29" tall tire) on a 17X9 rim and I got greedy and wanted as deep a wheel as I could get. I could do this because I bought a tool damn it. Measured many times with weight on the axle and got 4.5" back space. So on 10" wide wheel (includes lip) it was 5.5" front depth and 4.5" back depth. Drivers side fit good but I was worried that tire bulge might rub on SS wheel trim so took a grinder to $$ trim and lip. The passenger side rubbed no matter the trimming. Turns out I did most of measuring on the drivers side not thinking the rear end might not be centered. Another wheel at 5.25" back space fixed it. In retrospect 5" backspace on a 17X9 wheel would have worked on both sides. Don't be greedy! I had no issues with rubbing other than the lip. Of course I have not loaded it with 6 people or bags of mulch!

Fronts were 255/55-17 (28" tall) on 17X8 with 4" backspace. So on 9" wide wheel (includes lip) it was 5" front depth and 4" back depth. Worked great. No rubbing even at full lock. For both front and back I was less worried about overall height and more worried about getting some sidewall. Back has 6" sidewall and front 5". Very close to stock. For reference a 235/75-15 is also 29" tall with almost 7" sidewall. Fronts look a bit big but backs are exactly as I wanted them. When you cover part of the tire with body or skirt it masks the overall diameter.

@1970FuryConv how happy are you with the Cooper Cobra tires? I´m getting ready to replace my BFGoodride after 10 years and this Cooper brand is their alternative. I run the same size, 235/70R15 in front and 275/60R15 in the back. No clearance issues, the 69 models have a narrower rear end.

I have Cooper Cobras on two vehicles, one I put 5,000 miles on last year, no complaints.

I have a 275/60r14 on one of the '66s and they fit fine, but if I take a hard right, I get a smidgen of rub on the right side. Going to 15's when I find the rims I want, and the taller tire won't matter. I have honk that's the narrowest rear for a C body. Your results may vary.

I have Cooper Cobras on two vehicles, one I put 5,000 miles on last year, no complaints.

I have a 275/60r14 on one of the '66s and they fit fine, but if I take a hard right, I get a smidgen of rub on the right side. Going to 15's when I find the rims I want, and the taller tire won't matter. I have honk that's the narrowest rear for a C body. Your results may vary.

I finally replaced BFgs with a new Cooper Cobras. The weather was close to freezing, so it was just a quick ride to the shop and back. Will remove the blue colour from the letters once warm up.

One detail I want to point out is the tire pattern being different. Cooper Cobras pattern is like a modern tire compare to BFgs and they have also 1 step higher max speed rating T.

bfg_vs_cooper.jpeg

tires.jpg

It would just be a nice touch if Cooper Cobras were round. Which they aren't. At least the ones I bought new 2019 are terrible tires being out of round and side-to-side while the rim is perfectly straight.

It would just be a nice touch if Cooper Cobras were round. Which they aren't. At least the ones I bought new 2019 are terrible tires being out of round and side-to-side while the rim is perfectly straight.

It's pity you got a lemon. I seem to have no issues so far, it took just 35grams per wheel to perfectly balance it. Just one rear wheel, took way more, like 100grams. But being in the back, it's no big issue. I had a similar weight around 100 grams back on the wheels with BFgs, too. I have driven it just a short distance, but all looks good.

Btw what tire pressure do you use? I´m on 32PSI out of max 44PSI. Just curious, do not expect it would affect the problems you have mentioned, only looking for best pressure value.

It's pity you got a lemon. I seem to have no issues so far, it took just 35grams per wheel to perfectly balance it. Just one rear wheel, took way more, like 100grams. But being in the back, it's no big issue. I had a similar weight around 100 grams back on the wheels with BFgs, too. I have driven it just a short distance, but all looks good.

Btw what tire pressure do you use? I´m on 32PSI out of max 44PSI. Just curious, do not expect it would affect the problems you have mentioned, only looking for best pressure value.
New Eaton rear springs eliminated my clearance issues. My Cooper experience has been excellent.

Back