1970 Fury Quarter Glass: the View You Never See, Until Now

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have been cutting up a 1970 Fury Parts Car, mostly to give Aidan a chance to buy some needed sheet metal for his 1969 PK21 440 cop car, which is still at my home for now.

The parts car was a WVA, Maryland car and the undercarriage, c-pillars, and roof were too rusted out to save. In cutting off the rusted outer quarter panels, I used an concrete saw with electric motor and 12 inch circular carbon blade (it can be rented from Home Depot for $59/day). I really wanted to see what the quarter window ramps and slides look like, so I cut off the quarter panel in front of the left side quarter glass assembly, removed the glass (2 bolts), and took the following pictures, with window mount in up and down positions. It is interesting that the horizontal slide is on the straight front ramp rather than the curved rear ramp. If anyone else is curious about this, I thought I'd share my photos here.

DSCN8763.jpg

DSCN8765.jpg

DSCN8771.jpgDSCN8772.jpgDSCN8768.jpgDSCN8770.jpg

DSCN8769.jpgDSCN8782.jpgDSCN8780.jpg

DSCN8763.jpg

DSCN8767.jpg

DSCN8768.jpg

DSCN8770.jpg

DSCN8765.jpg

DSCN8771.jpg

DSCN8772.jpg

DSCN8769.jpg

DSCN8780.jpg

DSCN8782.jpg

That is awesome !!! This is what I really love about this site ........ A hands on eduction with real show and tell without the mess and or tuition of a top notch college or trade school.

Unfortunately I've seen that view myself while repairing my '70 fury vert.

Whatcha do with the parts? ;). I had to attempt to Repair the winder mechanism by welding half of an arm from a sedan mechanism ..

It took photographs like these of a 67 Barracuda for me to be able to reassemble my quarter windows. There was a hidden channel that a roller went into that couldn't be seen even knowing where it was.

Alan

QUOTE]

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............. :welcome:

I had all these parts in and out of our 69 300 convertible with P/windows, one side a couple of times.
That was about three years ago, Another six months and my hands may be healed.

I had all these parts in and out of our 69 300 convertible with P/windows, one side a couple of times.

Last week I had to refit the rear qtr glass in m '74 Javelin .. Problem is there's no access olds in the inner skin .. So had to do it all by sticking my arm through the 2" wide whole in the top. Lucky I'm skinny, but my arms are pretty cut up after all that!

As to the parts, the studs kept breaking off when I tried to loosen the nuts. I bent some pieces in the process. I eventually got disgusted and recycled the whole thing. I only kept the glass, but even that won't fit a vert.
Good thing, both quarter windows on my 1970 Fury convertible are in good working order. Can't say the same for my 318. It's leaking coolant from the freeze plugs/expansion plugs at the back of the block, in front of the trans bell housing. Sigh.

QUOTE]

I nearly lost an arm when doing the quarter windows on my old 68 coronet 'vert. Didn't know any better, and removed the PW motor....coiled spring arm came around like an axe! No one around of course. I was stuck in there hurting for at least an hour before I figured out how to free myself.

I nearly lost an arm when doing the quarter windows on my old 68 coronet 'vert. Didn't know any better, and removed the PW motor....coiled spring arm came around like an axe! No one around of course. I was stuck in there hurting for at least an hour before I figured out how to free myself.

I have had that happen but luckly had my stuff out of the way. Good think you didn't break anything, (arm).
Anyone working on these should procede with great caution.

At least an hour! That sucks. How'd you get loose?

Yeeouch!!!!!
And your cell phone was sitting on the bench... Lol

I had to lay there for a while and let the hurt numb out a bit, believe it was my right arm that was trapped. Then it was circus contortion time. Had to twist and jockey my left arm in and around until I could get hold of the spring loaded PW arm. It took a lot of tears, twisting, pulling and loss of flesh before I managed to pull my arm free.

Arm was pretty beat up, but luckily no broken bones...just chewed up flesh and bruised muscles and tendons. Stan this was back in the mid 90's....might have had one of these....

motorola-flip.jpg

But it was never kept close by....still a novelty back then. ;)

I have had that happen but luckily had my stuff out of the way. Good think you didn't break anything, (arm).
Anyone working on these should proceed with great caution.

Absolutely....especially PW cars.

Back