1970 Fury trunk lock question

Triple Pickle

Reaction score
I need a trunk lock for my ‘70 Fury I.
When I bought it the PO said that it only had one key and it fit the ignition and trunk and it does. According to the broadcast sheet it didn’t come like that but, who knows. Anyway, if someone could put me on the right one I’d appreciate it. I didn’t know if there’s a difference because of the way it’s mounted on the right or? Thanks in advance!

A0C54862-C855-45F3-B5A2-7180736A3178.jpeg

For my 68, the doors and ignition are the same. The trunk and glove box match. So if you had the car in for service or valet parked, then you could hand over the ignition, door key and keep your valuables safe. Cars with glove box trunk release button could be locked to keep the trunk closed. As for a trunk lock, mine got jammed and I had to go through the well cover of my vert to open it with a screw driver attached to a pole. I then took it to a local old school locksmith and he changed the tumbler.

My '70 Fury III has two separate keys and the round one fits the trunk. If your car was a fleet car (Police etc) perhaps it could have only one key fitting all. I know my trim piece around the key hole is from a 1971 car.

100_0412.JPG

From what I can tell it’s just a cheap civilian car. It’s going to have separate keys for the trunk and ignition under my ownership.

C1206EA0-626A-494D-ADC6-866CE1AF59CB.jpeg

815E7338-2AD0-4509-A471-383C930D3FBC.jpeg

I need a trunk lock for my ‘70 Fury I.
When I bought it the PO said that it only had one key and it fit the ignition and trunk and it does. According to the broadcast sheet it didn’t come like that but, who knows. Anyway, if someone could put me on the right one I’d appreciate it. I didn’t know if there’s a difference because of the way it’s mounted on the right or? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 577176
When I owned a 70 Fury III convertible they were different keys. The ignition key was more squared off with edges and the truck was round

First, I want to thank everyone again for their response. Secondly, I feel that I need to clarify my inquiry.
I think I threw everyone off track with the backstory of my dilemma. That’s all on me,and, I apologize. Now, to clarify what I am wanting to know, I’ll put it differently. I’ll include pictures as a visual aid.
The first picture shows the mechanism that I want to replace.
The second picture illustrates where it goes on the car. This is located on the right side of a 1970 Plymouth Fury I trunk lid, or boot if you’re from UK.
The third picture is of the kind of key it should take. It is a blank because I don’t have the mechanism yet to match it with. THAT is the lock/tumbler that I am trying to find.

The fourth picture is of a blank that fits the ignition switch as well as the door locks. I do have the original that fits perfectly which I will use to transfer the pattern of to this blank. No help needed there. I felt it necessary to include it to show that I do know what key goes where on this model Plymouth. Again, I thank you for your input and apologize for the confusion.

52CE6BAC-851F-40C3-9387-FC7F549EAA8D.jpeg

View attachment 577395

9B78A400-74A5-4C29-994B-584ED2405ACF.jpeg

35937A14-2C5A-496E-B25E-FB2654BF2C34.jpeg

35873500-432B-4AC8-A48C-BB5E0995CA41.jpeg

I was thinking that the same year Barracuda might use the same lock cylinder because of the right side mounting, but the part numbers are different. 3419453 for the Plymouth and 341952 for the Barracuda.

But if you are just looking to get that round head key to fit that lock, you can take that cylinder and the blank key to a good locksmith and they can change the tumblers to match.

That said.... We used to take the tumblers out (pop the cover off) on some of the "stock" drag cars so any key would fit. Even a dime would work... That was so we didn't have to look for the keys when we needed to pop the trunk. Most guys just left a key in the lock, but this worked for me. No one would be the wiser so it was still almost as secure... Not that it really mattered. I'd try another key, even the blank one and see if that happened. I've done the same with beater cars where the glove box lock didn't match the trunk or the key was missing.

I believe that I understand what you are looking for, but let me first repeat what I believe are your requirements:

You are looking to have a trunk lock and key that are different than the ignition key.
(And you have a trunk lock cylinder that is keyed the same as the ignition lock cylinder)

If this is a correct regurgitation of your requirements as well as the statement in parentheses is true, then I would recommend that you do this:

1) you can take the lock cylinder for the trunk with the key that fits it to a locksmith and have them jumble the pins in the lock cylinder and make a new trunk key, which will be keyed differently than the ignition key and cylinder and you will then have a unique key and lock cylinder for the trunk.

OR

2) you could buy the item that you cited in post #5 and install that.

Did I get your problem statement correct?

I believe that I understand what you are looking for, but let me first repeat what I believe are your requirements:

You are looking to have a trunk lock and key that are different than the ignition key.
(And you have a trunk lock cylinder that is keyed the same as the ignition lock cylinder)

If this is a correct regurgitation of your requirements as well as the statement in parentheses is true, then I would recommend that you do this:

1) you can take the lock cylinder for the trunk with the key that fits it to a locksmith and have them jumble the pins in the lock cylinder and make a new trunk key, which will be keyed differently than the ignition key and cylinder and you will then have a unique key and lock cylinder for the trunk.

OR

2) you could buy the item that you cited in post #5 and install that.

Did I get your problem statement correct?
You got it! I’m going with option 2. I just didn’t know if it would work for sure because of the location being different than most.
Full disclosure that I didn’t want to mention before because I didn’t think it was pertinent: The lock sometimes acted weird. Occasionally I’d have to jiggle the key to get it to turn, most times it would work fine. The last time the jiggling didn’t work. So I used a 3/8” drill bit on it. So, when I say, “I need a trunk lock for my ‘70 Plymouth Fury I”, I ain’t kidding!

You got it! I’m going with option 2. I just didn’t know if it would work for sure because of the location being different than most.
Full disclosure that I didn’t want to mention before because I didn’t think it was pertinent: The lock sometimes acted weird. Occasionally I’d have to jiggle the key to get it to turn, most times it would work fine. The last time the jiggling didn’t work. So I used a 3/8” drill bit on it. So, when I say, “I need a trunk lock for my ‘70 Plymouth Fury I”, I ain’t kidding!
I don't think "option 2" is going to work for you. The lock in the eBay link isn't correct for your car.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the lock cylinder in the Fury, because it's mounted on the right side, has an arm on it that connects to the rod that connects to the actual latch in the center. It looks like this Barracuda lock.

s-l1600.jpg

Back