For Sale 1970 Plymouth Fury GT (NOT MINE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without knowing more about this car, it doesn't look much worse than the condition of the other Fury GT's on FCBO that were pulled from the elements and now getting restored.

You guys are a terrible influence. I called and talked to Bob. It's his brothers car, in their dads name, who is deceased. They have the title and death certificate.

It's been sitting since 1980 in a friend's junkyard, dragging home last July, 2017. Trunk/quarter panel is rusted through on driver's side, passenger side "not through yet".

440 Super Commandeer, just like he typed, with 30 years of dirt and debris accumulated in the carb. Factory air cleaner was stored in the trunk. He said the car has 55,000 miles on it.

He thinks something like a ball joint, he hasn't checked into it at all.

He will be sending me the interior pics he took for another Scott in Indiana, perhaps a member here?

He will also take pictures of the engine and trunk when he gets back home, he's a truck driver so I dont know how soon that might be.

I'll post those pics when I get them.

On a side note, his brother also got a cop car that he was going to put the engine in the Sport Fury, but he instead donated it to the Pennsylvania State Police, and it now resides in their museum.

Without knowing more about this car, it doesn't look much worse than the condition of the other Fury GT's on FCBO that were pulled from the elements and now getting restored.

True, but those were 6-pack cars and much more valuable.

Jeff

Whaaaaat? All your cars are gone????
jaw-drop.jpg

That does appear to be a very old inspection sticker on the windshield. Assuming it's a Pennsylvania sticker, it's certainly prior to 1984, and possibly much older than that.

If it's a non-undercoat car, there's no question that everything is completely rotted underneath, but if it does have the undercoating, the body my not be all that bad. The subframes didn't have the greatest paint on them, so it's no surprise that this one is toast. Since the *** end seems to be sitting up where it belongs, I'd put my money on an undercoated car. Still, it's gonna take a complete, rust-free donor car to bring this one back to life. I would also expect the engine to be seized solid, and probably not rebuildable. The exhaust would have rotted off decades ago, allowing moist air to easily get up into the engine.

Jeff

Agree.

In one respect, that car looks much like my '73 Sundance. Front end collapsed, rear end intact. The subframes sometimes do fair worse than the bodies if parked on moist ground/grass.

Thankfully my body is no where near that bad. My floors and trunk are actually pretty good and I'll bet I can save 80+% of the OE paint. That's not perspective btw, the bumper really is on the floor.

Mine is salvagable. That one requires a new body under the Vin tag.

IMG_20170709_121805_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180502_200330.jpg

I would guess the car has its original paint and decals and a nice interior from what I am seeing. I would also estimate the car must have hit a big pot hole or ran over a curb, afterwhich the car was parked and nothing done to it before or after the owner passed away - until now.

Good score Critter if all works out. For the price, it is a good move I would estimate. Will look forward to the requisite bevy of photos after you get it so we can figure out the whole story. Smart!

You guys are a terrible influence. I called and talked to Bob. It's his brothers car, in their dads name, who is deceased. They have the title and death certificate.

It's been sitting since 1980 in a friend's junkyard, dragging home last July, 2017. Trunk/quarter panel is rusted through on driver's side, passenger side "not through yet".

440 Super Commandeer, just like he typed, with 30 years of dirt and debris accumulated in the carb. Factory air cleaner was stored in the trunk. He said the car has 55,000 miles on it.

He thinks something like a ball joint, he hasn't checked into it at all.

He will be sending me the interior pics he took for another Scott in Indiana, perhaps a member here?

He will also take pictures of the engine and trunk when he gets back home, he's a truck driver so I dont know how soon that might be.

I'll post those pics when I get them.

On a side note, his brother also got a cop car that he was going to put the engine in the Sport Fury, but he instead donated it to the Pennsylvania State Police, and it now resides in their museum.

38 years sitting outside, especially if the lower body and frame were exposed to soil means there is not going to be much left of the underside. The cowl is also likely to be gone, as I said earlier probably $75k or more to bring it back.

Dave

If you want a GT and the floors & rear frame rails are good and the roof and cowl are not toast then buy it. They are hard to find. You will just need to find a parts car with good sheet metal.

not buying it...however if l was closer wouldn't blink twice for 3500...someone will probally buy it for vin tag and fender tag ..save what they can and rebody it at that price..little bit of that goin on these days :(..buyer beware..only saveing grace is cowl no and trunk vin if yer buyin a gt these days

Floors show considerable moisture exposure, but are better than what I would have expected, at least they are not falling apart. I suspect though that there will be a lot of rust holes given that rugs hold a lot of moisture. Looks to be a non A/C car with 350 horsepower engine, manual windows, no clock, buckets that are decent with console.

Dave

Last edited:
There is some thing seriously wrong with me, I'm drooling.

Me too! Its pretty much what I was thinking earlier. Tempting. Especially at that price.

Just one question though, am I looking at the grass on the ground where the rear floors should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back