For Sale 1970 Plymouth Fury III Police Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
taking it exactly as it appears to be with just the information at hand, i would say yes I agree with Pete, it's under (could be way under depending on "best" seller is willing to take for it) by a couple thousand in my view.

last sale at $23K as reported is scraping the price ceiling for it if i were a buyer.

so five digits, starts with "2" is what i think its worth ... TO ME .. if i was buying it TODAY. what seller is asking for it I would meet without much haggling as that looks like a good deal TO ME.

to SOMEONE ELSE, they wouldnt want it at any price, on the other hand to SOMEONE ELSE, they would pay the WORLD for it. all of us make up a "market" where those views get sorted out.

what is really gonna happen with it? we all know the answer i think - "Who the Heck knows, right"? a willing buyer and a willing seller will sort that out, for THIS car, at THIS time, no matter what anyone NOT associated with the deal might think.:)

a year or two or five from now, things may be different again for THAT transaction for THIS car based on whatever circumstances exist then. and so on.

as far as the C-body mopar police cars go, i also agree with Pete -- the price champions tend to be 1969-1971 models, CHP's the highest, but any well-done, well documented cars of this vintage from other departments - like this one -- do pretty well too.

Last edited:
Pete is correct. The car is fairly priced, but the market is a little slow on these types. In the hay day, a '69 Polara would and still does command the the big $$$. However, it has to be a CHP .. with it's manual steering:( The value, like most collector cars other than holy grail cars, has also simmered a bit on these patrol cars. The HP drivetrain was at it's peak in '69, and in CHP form, is still considered to be the 'holy grail' of patrol cars and that will probably always remain.
Speaking of rust and rubber floor mats has got me thinking. More than likely, not one of the original sunny CHP cars retain it's original floor pans because of the rubber floor mats lol. The '69's are legendary none the less.. 150mph muscle sedans. I think my '71 was good for 142-144 mph.

Last edited:
I'm sure your car would have been good for that speed, maybe more given some distance. I made contact with the first civilian owner & he told me about blowing up the engine after running at 140 plus for an extended period. He said he ran it 130ish going to someplace & then really cranked it coming back. Back when new, the Louisville Police took one, a slick top, and it ran 147 mph.

I'm sure your car would have been good for that speed, maybe more given some distance. I made contact with the first civilian owner & he told me about blowing up the engine after running at 140 plus for an extended period. He said he ran it 130ish going to someplace & then really cranked it coming back. Back when new, the Louisville Police took one, a slick top, and it ran 147 mph.
What rear end ratios were used to get these top speeds? 2.71?

I always assumed the famous Chelsea, MI 1969 road test used the std 3.23 to achieve 149.6mph. The highest top-end by a factory built four door at the time. The 440HP would be buzzing. I barely pegged the 140 speedo in my '71 with the 3.23 and I don't believe it was quite done, but close. I don't know if it was the speed or the sound that made me back out lol. The 2.94 was an option.

I tried a several online calculators and I get fairly consistent readings for a 140 mph with a 3.23 rear at 5,200 RPM and....
Wait for it...
450hp!!!!!!

Holy crap :wideyed:

And I believe the 6-pack cars were turning 6k rpm. 150mph has to be close to that.. 5800? Thank God they ran good rods lol.

I tried a several online calculators and I get fairly consistent readings for a 140 mph with a 3.23 rear at 5,200 RPM and....
Wait for it...
450hp!!!!!!

Holy crap :wideyed:

neat!

do u enter vehicke weight in these HP calculators? does it care about aerodynamics? HP measured at what point in drivetrain?

after engine rebuild my '71 Polara did 100 mph without breaking a sweat. i was too much of a nerd to put my foot in it any further on a public road.

we built to 1969 specs but with a tad higher compression. unless i get to a track ill never know what it can really do ... but it feels like it could use all the big numbers on the speedo :)

"paper" dyno my emgine builder used estimated 450 hp at flywheel .. dunno if thats really what we got or not but it does get that beast going pretty good.

do u enter vehicke weight in these HP calculators? does it care about aerodynamics? HP measured at what point in drivetrain?
The calculators I used (several) took into account RPM, HP, Tire size, Rear end ratios, and weight. Fill in the variables (which I only aproximated) and the blanks got filled in.
I was just trying to get a grip on if the 140 mph in a brick was possible and under what circumstances.
If the 440's really were pushing out 450hp at the flywheel then there was some super tweaking done.
I think I have spent at most 45 seconds at 140+ in my entire life. That's all I needed to re-evaluate my Need for Speed. :realcrazy:

Last edited:
You've all seen my photos of blue doing 135. Still pulling but not much and a bit shakey. 80,000 miles on the 71 440 and 323s.

The calculators I used (several) took into account RPM, HP, Tire size, Rear end ratios, and weight. Fill in the variables (which I only aproximated) and the blanks got filled in.
I was just trying to get a grip on if the 140 mph in a brick was possible and under what circumstances.
If the 440's really were pushing out 450hp at the flywheel then there was some super tweaking done.
I think I have spent at most 45 seconds at 140+ in my entire life. That's all I needed to re-evaluate my Need for Speed. :realcrazy:

we used 1969 cam; went 10 over on block, and got more compression out of piston choice...otherwise factory specs. were they (Chrysler) under rating in this era for insurance reasons?

i shall not confess my past leadfootedness in incriminating detail but to say i have seen 140+++ a few times on public roads.

i will confess to 147mph for two laps @ Richard Petty Driving school at Charlotte Speedway....that was a hoot! and many high speed handsfree laps at my company's high speed banked test track ... life begins at 180 mph :)

Last edited:
If only it had these to match the interior I'd buy it.
MotoGP_Grid_Girls_Laguna_Seca_15.jpg

Was that the uniform of the day?
Especially if equipped with this!
lamborghini-police-car-poster_opt.jpg

What rear end ratios were used to get these top speeds? 2.71?
3.23 in mine. I don't know what was used in the Louisville Police cars, but would guess the same. I found one letter (posted below) from my original owner talking about 140 mph. Now if anyone remembers, sometime ago I came across a guy (I think in Tennessee) that had a 69 CHP car. He claimed (NOT ME!!!) that his freshly restored car, stock engine with suspension upgrades, ran 168 mph at Road Atlanta & he had the time sheets top prove it.
img011.jpg

Great info. in this thread, I'll toss in my two cents. My car is a 72 Polara Custom WSP car. White exterior with blue interior. U code 440, power bench seat, power trunk release, rim blow wheel, and carpeting. No rear defog. Unit D515.

450 horsepower out of a stock 440 is a pipe dream.

Even if the top speed calculator states that at "5800 rpm the speed is 145 mph" the engine still needs the horsepower to overcome the aerodynamic drag to reach that rpm.

Stock 440's were not known for their high rpm horsepower, and C bodies were not known for their low coefficient of drag.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp 0104-buildup-1969-440-magnum-engine/

My apologies for the bad link. Cant seem to get it to copy correctly.

Regardless it was a dyno test of a stock 440 Magnum/ Super Commando, which resulted in 357 horsepower at the flywheel.

Stock 440's were not known for their high rpm horsepower, and C bodies were not known for their low coefficient of drag.

I think we all know the " Conventional Science " propaganda from the Chiv-liberal media.

But for whatever reason every well running 440 and especially every well running 440 HP I ever drove always seemed to want to just keep going way longer than I did, and even though I'm not a speedster there were a few times I pushed them into the triple digits under very controlled conditions on very straight lonely late night roads especially down on I 44 and elsewhere. Perhaps the HP estimators are geared toward SBC vs BB RB Mopes

Also I remember a 'prove a point' late night run where a certain 383 4 BBL 67 Sport Fury (2.76 gears) hit 120 mph+ and was still pulling strong when my passenger who had said that hold heap couldn't possibly hit a 100 mph was begging me to stop so he could get out even though she was tracking straight and true as those cars do. We were on the I44 Red River bridge from OK back into TX at about 11 PM. Moon was full and it was glorious.

Once he essentially said calf-rope I let off but it had more.

the first sentence was a can't not do it joke but the rest is true :)

convenient
What is important here is that a 1969 Polara 4 door sedan 440HP with a 3.23 gear did achieve 149.6mph.. amazing. I believe there was a mag that tested the Superbird in '70 and mph was roughly the same with identical drivetrain. It is my experience that a 'ten minute tune' can do wonders.. timing, fuel, tire pressure etc.

im not an engine builder..but i can drive, and i can read, and i can tell when a car has more to give.

the MSP tests of a 1969 Polara were/are well-regarded methodologies to assess performance officers could expect in the field - where the work gets done. whatever COD, HP, lb.ft., etc inherent in that '69 Polara's design specs, actually got that top speed. its a fact.

and the body of suporting evidence is vast and deep. officers that drove them, those of us who own them, reputable enthusiasts mags that had cars, KNOW first hand what these cars can do.

this is where i bow out of technical discussions of drivetrain specs lest i get drowned by being out of my safe diving depth. others here can very ably have that conversation.

i do know the C body police cars are magnificent machines - thats enough for me :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back