For Sale 1970 Plymouth Fury III Police Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I triple checked the info by Galen Govier and it does not mention a vinyl roof at all. That is what I went by in determining to replace the cars vinyl roof or not. Does anyone know if a supervisors car had the blue vinyl roof in that year. I did also check and it came with rear bumper guards like the front ones. I'm glad I found a NOS pair on Ebay years ago.
I really love your story on camping with the car. Please share any more pictures or stories with us here or a PM message to me.

what are the chances that the vinyl roof was put on when the car was taken out of service to cover antenna and spotlight holes before being sold to the public?

what are the chances that the vinyl roof was put on when the car was taken out of service to cover antenna and spotlight holes before being sold to the public?
I was looking at build sheets of both Pete's car and the car for sale. They are identical except for the number 1 I circled in the section that I think would identify a vinyl roof. None of the other 70 Fury WSP build sheets I have seen have a 1 in this box, nor do the 71 Polaras. I am not questioning Galen's decipher on the build sheet, but then what does this 1 mean?

Last edited:
That isn't a vinyl top code. If you look at that entire line on the sheet it is shifted to the right by one digit. Just a mistake when printing the sheet. No factory vinyl tops on WSP cars. I have seen a 69 Fury WSP that had one but it was put on after service but that's the only one I have seen.

That isn't a vinyl top code. If you look at that entire line on the sheet it is shifted to the right by one digit. Just a mistake when printing the sheet. No factory vinyl tops on WSP cars. I have seen a 69 Fury WSP that had one but it was put on after service but that's the only one I have seen.
No shift. Body paint reads 1FW Roof paint 1FW then.. 1

I believe Pete is right, gold on the '72 Polara comes to mind. Pete, my wife and I took the(your) Fury camping to Mt. Rainier in the 90's. Note where the 1 is circled on build sheet. I was told this designated a black vinyl roof. I removed blue material from under the factory trim, as previous owner tore off peeling roof.. definitely looked to be a factory install job. I don't know for sure.. anyone? I just got the car in photo, still had Colorado plates. I flew in to Denver, drove it home.View attachment 81683
Under the "D AXLE" the 53 is shifted one position to the right. The Tire code is "U99" and it is not directly under the "TIREs", it is one position to the right. The trim code is M1B3, and again it doesn't fit in the box, it is shifted one position to the right. EB3 is the UDF code, "Upper Door Frame". The paint style, "V01", Body Paint "EW1", and Top Paint "EW1", are all shifted to the right by one position or box. So if you shift the codes up, the vinyl top box should be empty. Someone on the line probably circled it because it was out of the ordinary. Fleet orders were mostly built in batches at the same time so they would have found the error and fixed it.

Under the "D AXLE" the 53 is shifted one position to the right. The Tire code is "U99" and it is not directly under the "TIREs", it is one position to the right. The trim code is M1B3, and again it doesn't fit in the box, it is shifted one position to the right. EB3 is the UDF code, "Upper Door Frame". The paint style, "V01", Body Paint "EW1", and Top Paint "EW1", are all shifted to the right by one position or box. So if you shift the codes up, the vinyl top box should be empty. Someone on the line probably circled it because it was out of the ordinary. Fleet orders were mostly built in batches at the same time so they would have found the error and fixed it.

That would make sense, it's as though the printer for the build sheet began printing 1 again.. problem solved for the vinyl roof saga. lol

That would make sense, it's as though the printer for the build sheet began printing 1 again.. problem solved for the vinyl roof saga. lol[/QUOT
No printer issue, I stand corrected. I see what you are saying. I originally saw the shift in the first part where the axle 53 three ran into the Sure Grip section, but I failed to carry the rest of to the left. Thanks for the correction.

You are killing me smalls

upload_2016-6-11_12-34-55.png

In that case you should have said you are killing me fats.. fingers that is. Replies best left to the computer.. phone is too confined. Sorry about that.

In that case you should have said you are killing me fats.. fingers that is. Replies best left to the computer.. phone is too confined. Sorry about that.

I understand thought maybe you needed help :)

I sometimes post on phone but it is very limiting I agree and P.S. that line about smalls is from a baseball movie called Sandlot. It's pretty good really.

Reading all of this has me STOKED to get my car done... :)

Thought some might get a kick out of this. I stopped by a Porsche car show that was going on. Hey guys.. the Porsche's are behind you lol:)
IMG_20160612_103127441.jpg

Thought some might get a kick out of this. I stopped by a Porsche car show that was going on. Hey guys.. the Porsche's are behind you lol:)View attachment 82181

yup..that's what happens. its really something how pricier/fancier cars lose the spotlight -- for a little bit anyway -- when a nice old cop car is around.

NOT dissin' NON-cop cars .. i've had/got a bunch cool civi cars. just observing that given the life they led (beat to death on duty or as taxis after retirement/harvested for powertrains then derbied or left to waste away in salvage yards), and the relatively smaller group of enthusiasts/collectors compared to other specialty cars, the remaining specimens of old police cars (all makes) do attract attention.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back