For Sale 1970 PLYMOUTH SPORT FURY PARKED MANY YEARS - $12000 (ASHEVILLE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to have a 70 SF again, so this thread is kinda dear to my heart. But now is not my time, nor is this situation the one. But I love to see these stories in the meanwhile.

But -
Anyone able to ID this? 56 Chrysler 2dr? Or maybe a Stude or Packard? The C-pillar doesn't seem to have enough curve. But the pictures are so terrible...

upload_2019-3-17_20-20-1.png

upload_2019-3-17_20-58-17.png

I'd love to have a 70 SF again, so this thread is kinda dear to my heart. But now is not my time, nor is this situation the one. But I love to see these stories in the meanwhile.

But -
Anyone able to ID this? 56 Chrysler 2dr? Or maybe a Stude or Packard? The C-pillar doesn't seem to have enough curve. But the pictures are so terrible...

View attachment 270377
View attachment 270391

Yes, it is a 1956 Chrysler Windsor Newport

As a 70 owner, a 29 to boot, I think it's great that car is worth so much

It's not, that's why it doesn't sell.
It would be if it's nice and rustfree AND a reliable driver. But assuming that it's sitting in the shop for at least a decade, you'ld need to put in work to bring it back on the road. I think 7 or 8 k would be fair if complete and rustfree

It's not, that's why it doesn't sell.
It would be if it's nice and rustfree AND a reliable driver. But assuming that it's sitting in the shop for at least a decade, you'ld need to put in work to bring it back on the road. I think 7 or 8 k would be fair if complete and rustfree

I don't agree with that estimate unless you have all the work farmed out rather than do it yourself. I agree with those who speculate that this is likely to be a diamond in the rough. For those that are fine with the roofline, I think it should be looked at and then make a final decision. I have bought some cars like this many times, and the effort to get them to a nice reliable driving condition is at least half that amount if you do the work yourself.

It depends on how long it's been sitting there and why.
If it was meant to be stored and fluids have been drained before it's fine. But I think that's unlikely. I suspect it broke down at one point and the owner wanted to fix it later, later turned into years and and years and now it's probably rough on the inside, mechanicswise. Bad fuel in the tank, fuellines and carb. Oil merged into chunks. Brakesytem needs complete makeover so does the suspension , new tires of course.Hoses are porous and the radiatior will start to leak.
You can't tell until you've seen it in person and then it'll still surprise you with some flaws you haven't discovered yet.

I also suspect it's been sitting awhile, with storage neglected. I think a guy could easily spend $3000 on that one, even doing the work himself. ($500 of that will be in a set of decent tires alone, so spend the other $2500 wisely!)

The car is priced at the high end of what it would be worth when it's all freshened and awakened. Too many seller view their cars from that POV - they think that it can be made fresh again (easily), so they think that's what it should be priced at.

I still can't figure out why Chrysler spent the extra money for that rear C pillar roof style on a C body 2 door? There were much better ways to spend their dwindling money. I wouldn't buy it at any price for that reason alone.

To compete with the formal-roofed full sized Chevrolet by all accounts mate. The 1966 Caprice seems to have started it

I still can't figure out why Chrysler spent the extra money for that rear C pillar roof style on a C body 2 door? There were much better ways to spend their dwindling money. I wouldn't buy it at any price for that reason alone.

The only thing that takes away from the car is the back window ...

Roofline is killing my interest though.

Sure it's the "29" roof. But other then that, its loaded up nicely.
Why so many haters of the PH29 roof? I can't be the only one who prefers it over the 23.

I don't mind the 29 roof, however I would opt the 23 roofline if could travel back to 1970 and make my order.
I love this shot of a 70 SportFury that is for sale in Germany by the Moparshop. The 29 roof matches the rearend perfectly, everything is aligned, but unfortunately one doesn't have the opportunity to see the car from this perspective very often:D

Screenshot_20190326-235300.png

29 for the win in my book, matches my charger. There's no arguing with that

29 for the win in my book, matches my charger. There's no arguing with that

On the Charger, its roofline flows well with the architecture and overall flow of the body lines in the rear and isn't nearly as wide. I don't see how you can like the look of the Charger roofline and also prefer the 29 roofline on the Plymouths rather than the 23 roofline.

1969-dodge-charger.jpg

Unlike the Charger, the Plymouth 29 roofline makes the rear end look tail heavy to my eyes due to the steep, more close to vertical angle of the rear of the 29 roof and its excessive width from top to bottom. I also believe the 23 roofline on the Plymouths looks closer to the Charger roofline than the 29. Kind of like fender skirts make the rear of the car too tail heavy on the both the 23 and 29 roofline Plymouths. I like cars that look balanced and flowing, like the Charger. And you don't find fender skirts on any Charger because they would just ruin its looks I believe. The rear of the 29 Plymouth roofline just drops on the top of the quarters rather than smoothly blend with them like on the 23s. To me that looks clumsy rather than balanced and lithe. There was also a reason that the stylists didn't allow a Sport Fury GT to have a 29 roofline - they only had the 23 roofline available for that model. It is just more sporty looking.

4959291673_c3a51de558.jpg

But different views of the issue are fine too. We are all not the same. Plymouth doesn't seem to have produced as many 29 roof line models compared to the 23 series, so to me that says something about the prevailing view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back