For Sale 1970 Polara convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all the positive comments!

As promised, with 5 minutes to spare before midnight, here are some of the pictures I took today -- my first full day with the car!

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

You did good!

Thank you! Time will tell, but so far I feel that I have been lucky: a honest and careful seller; no hidden rust + engine/top that did not require rebuilding (my gamble panned out); and, a restorer in Maryland (Smitty at Contemporary Automotive, a member here) who knows what he is doing and communicates clearly. Needless to say, without the generous time that folks on FCBO took to give me advice, this could not have happened.

Now, we talked about those rear springs, she's sitting awfully low.

The car drove beautifully yesterday on its original springs, even with three people up front and two wheels plus the spare and a box of spare parts in the trunk. Unless there is a safety reason to change the springs, my preference would be to keep things as is, at least for the time being. Any worries here (FWIW, I've changed the shocks all around)?

On the car's stance, I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it looks as is. I know it looks less sporty than the slight rake on your white-top 'vert, but your look fits your car's purpose and overall appearance/engine (road wheels, 383). I feel that the more relaxed stand fits my car -- it is a 318 'vert that was bought in 1970 by someone who passed away in 1977 (and who, I assume, was not exactly racing the car).

As a benchmark, to my untrained eyes, the stance of my car seems similar to what the period ads show (all pictures courtesy Fuselage.de; only the first is a Polara, the others are Monacos):

image.png
image.png

image.png

No?

Last edited:
Thank you! Time will tell, but so far I feel that I have been lucky: a honest and careful seller; no hidden rust + engine/top that did not require rebuilding (my gamble panned out); and, a restorer in Maryland (Smitty at Contemporary Automotive, a member here) who knows what he is doing and communicates clearly. Needless to say, without the generous time that folks on FCBO took to give me advice, this could not have happened.

The car drove beautifully yesterday on its original springs, even with three people up front and two wheels plus the spare and a box of spare parts in the trunk. Unless there is a safety reason to change the springs, my preference would be to keep things as is, at least for the time being. Any worries here (FWIW, I've changed the shocks all around)?

On the car's stance, I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it looks as is. I know it looks less sporty than the slight rake on your white-top 'vert, but your look fits your car's purpose and overall appearance/engine (road wheels, 383). I feel that the more relaxed stand fits my car -- it is a 318 'vert that was bought in 1970 by someone who passed away in 1977 (and who, I assume, was not exactly racing the car).

As a benchmark, to my untrained eyes, the stance of my car seems similar to what the period ads show (all pictures courtesy Fuselage.de; only the first is a Polara, the others are Monacos):

View attachment 182556 View attachment 182557

View attachment 182558

No?
You aren't hurting her and she makes you happy... nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Car really is looking good. I agree with Dave as I think it is a bit low in the rear....but if you like it that's the most important thing.
Best of luck with the car!

Dave

Car really is looking good. (...) Best of luck with the car!Dave

Thank you!

(...) I agree with Dave as I think it is a bit low in the rear....but if you like it that's the most important thing.Dave

In addition to looks (which are purely a matter of taste), I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. That's why I checked with period photos that it was not (too) off. In the same spirit, I had the radiator recored, and the wiper motor and the dash-light rheostat remanufactured. My keeping the original springs (at least for the time being) is in the same spirit.

I'm also all for leaving well enough alone, and it saves money to boot.

This being said, safety would trump all those considerations (looks, originality, cost). Glad to get that you and Cantflip agree that it should not be an issue.

Took the car back to Smitty's Contemporary Automotive at lunch time today. As planned, I was dropping it off till Saturday for final fettling (replace a couple of light bulbs, re-install the remanufactured wiper motor, adjust the brakes, and fine-tune the choke).

Here are a couple more photos, next to an early Mustang.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

There isn't as many around but you can get the original springs "re-arched" at a spring shop and keep the originals.

I can't get over how good the car looks.

Dave

This being said, safety would trump all those considerations (looks, originality, cost). Glad to get that you and Cantflip agree that it should not be an issue.
I am going to play devil's advocate here... While I don't believe you've lost enough ride height to make a safety concern... the alignment angles of the front suspension are somewhat affected as is the driveshaft alignment.

If you get a chance to ride in one of Dave's, @polara71 (not that I'm referring to him as the devil):poke:, you will notice the difference that new leaf springs bring to a car. I understand why he advocates replacing the springs as an early repair on our old cars.

FWIW, I don't see re-arching old springs as a great move. All the work of replacement and still old steel, success is mixed reviews and the savings are minimal unless you do it yourself.

I would get the ride height height measurements out of the FSM and accurately measure your ride height.

IMHO leaf springs are a wear item and replacement is a normal part of maintenance if you keep the car long enough. I know I'm flogging a dead horse. BTW did I already say the car looks great?

The horse is not dead to me. Please keep the opinions coming.

I don’t want to hurt the car. If changing is absolutely needed, then so be it: I’ll bite the bullet. Like shocks and tires, I agree that springs are a wear item. Safety is important, too. To wit, I replaced the tires with radials, the extra safety is worth not being “correct”. My drums are original but, if they cannot be further fettled to stop vibrating under hard braking, I will also replace them.

This being said, unless springs/brakes NEED to be replaced right away, my preference would be to enjoy the car as is this spring and summer: drive it on weekends to shows, bring it to Carlisle, etc. and then at the end of the year i would decide on possible further improvements (springs, brakes, possibly the top).

So the real question to me is: will driving the car for a couple of thousand miles, as it now is, hurt it? I think not, but you guys would know more.

I seriously doubt you'd hurt anything significantly driving it as is for the summer, I'd see it as more of a cosmetic/appearance issue. ASSUMING of course that you won't load the trunk down with a thousand pounds of picnic supplies/engine blocks in the meantime - in this case do the springs first.

Picked it up today ahead of the Memorial Day weekend :usflag:

Thought I'd post some photos with the top down.

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

PS: You can see the missing piece of chrome at the bottom of the windshield because the rebuilt wiper motor still needs to be installed. It only came in today, so the car will be going back next week so that Smitty can install the motor.

Here is an update at the end of this 2018 Memorial Day weekend:

1. The car rides beautifully and is very comfortable. I am very happy with the shocks and tires I got (KYB, Hankook). The expression "driving one's own sofa" is a good representation of the experience. It does go up and down like a boat on speed humps!

2. The car is quiet:
a. Top down and all windows down, one can hold a conversation at 65mph without raising one's voice. Drove with several groups of friends over the weekend, and they all commented (spontaneously) on how nice that was.
b. Top up, the car is quiet as well. I found that the driver-side rubber seal on the quarter window needed some re-gluing, that'll be fixed this week.

3. The 318 is sufficient for most of the driving I do, but it is not very strong on steep hills (granted, I am still leery of pushing it hard -- I want to be sure there are no issues with the engine or transmission before I start pushing it).

4. I'll know more about the mileage after the gas gauge is adjusted -- right now, a full tank registers as half full. It'll be fixed this week.

5. A broadcast sheet has been found! I took a (poor quality) photo inside the protective pouch where it's been put in for safety. Help please, I don't see much (if anything) on it!

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back