1970 sport fury s/23 barn find

Hi

may i ask a general question? Whats the difference between a S /23 and a GT beside the heavy duty suspension package (which was available as an extra for the S /23) and the smaller engines (no 440s)?

I' m looking for a GT but a S/23 doen't sound too bad :)

Dino

under the heading of "fuselage years" where this thread was posted, I posted a thread on how many fury S/23 are left and one on how many GT's are left; the guys discuss the details on these cars in their comments back and forth so you can get a pretty good idea about both cars and their differences. you have to go back a month or two to find the posts.

Ironspike, The S/23 is "the sister" of the GT. Meaning it looks exactly the same, but has different engines. A grand total of only 689 were built compared to the GT. Grand total GTs was probably about 727. The S/23 could be powered by either a 318 or 383 2bbl. A high performance engine was available, that's the "N" code 383 4bbl. The S/23 came standard with torsion-bar suspension, and a front anti-sway bar. You could of gotten a bench seat or opt for buckets and console. GT was powered by a standard "T" code 440 or could opt for the "V" code 440-6bbl. The 440 6bbl GT is much more rare, because only about 61 were made. Also the 440 6bbl option costs $119 dollars extra back then. As much as I love the GT, and really want one, I would go with the S/23. Saves on gas mileage and you still get performance. It all depends how you look at it, and what your tastes are. They are both very rare cars. Hope this helps. Any other questions, let me know.

There is only 2 of the 6 bbl GT's left that I know about. The beautiful one in Canada that was at Carlisle a couple of years ago and someone in the states had a decent one. So out of the 61 made do you know of any other than the 2 that I just mentioned that survived?

1978 NYB, Honestly no I don't. Is there anymore on "The Rods" registry? I definitely remember seeing that beautiful B7 blue one at Carlisle in 2016. He was there last year in 2018 too.

1978 NYB, Honestly no I don't. Is there anymore on "The Rods" registry? I definitely remember seeing that beautiful B7 blue one at Carlisle in 2016. He was there last year in 2018 too.

Thanks.

I missed the last 2 years at Carlisle.

I'll be there this year.

1978 NYB, I just went on the registry created by "The Rod". From what I counted, assuming we're still talking a 6bbl GT. There are 3. One in a scrap yard in Washington, another, but location is unknown, and the third is in Canada. Are there any other registry's out there? Not sure

The beautiful one in Canada

Dave Wheelers car??
4598DF6E-D419-4453-83F5-30D333994245.jpeg
0A12BEC0-6511-45ED-9A4F-82B2F9AFF26A.jpeg
A5C053E5-69FE-4A15-A5B0-159412BE91DB.jpeg

Dobalovr, Yes that's Dave's car. Absolutely stunning. I'm truly in love with it. You have to see it in person to really appreciate the work done. First 2 pics of it are obviously without polyglas tires. I actually like it a lot better with them. Here's a picture I took of Dave's car at 2018 Carlisle. This coming year in 2019, I plan to talk to him about it. I just want to know more.
Dave Wheelers GT.jpg

1978 NYB, yes I saw it at 2016 Carlisle too. That's when they finally had the C-body Celebration. Forgot what building that was. If I remember, it was the "smaller" one. You know, not the one with the merchandise. Believe it was in Building, Y. I remember seeing another GT in Alpine White, with white strobe stripe and white vinyl top. Also remember seeing the 70 Chrysler 300 Hurst convertible. Truly amazing how that car still exists. A friend of my stepdads knows the owner of that one. Met him once, really nice guy. 2016 was my first ever year to Carlisle. What a great show. Can't wait for this coming year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the building.

Last edited:
Dan Corley has documented 11 known VIN's for V-code Sport Fury GT 6BBL. cars.

I personally know of 8 documented V-code Sport Fury GT cars, I know and have talked to all the owners of them.

There are 3 V-Code cars currently being restored at the present time.

One day,....we will have a "party" at Carlisle.

Back