For Sale 1970 Sport Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good one to avoid.The dash VIN matches the car body style but the fender tag matches most of the options on the car but not the color or body style.
My best guess is the actual PH29 body (with dash VIN) was combined with a parts car with the fender tag shown.Not sure why the fender tag was swapped,maybe the person doing the work didn't know much about it and mixed them up or ???
the fender tag is right , the vin on the dash got changed at one point i think they did it just to avoid the BC safety inspection because the car came from Alberta

the fender tag is right , the vin on the dash got changed at one point i think they did it just to avoid the BC safety inspection because the car came from Alberta

Could be that,or maybe because it's a USA spec car,it would have needed the same thing after it came across the border.Either way,it's an easy pass for me on a car that's had a VIN swap.Thanks for the info.

Probably just a dash swap ....

Maybe I missed something here, but if you don't have the correct VIN tag for the car, does it really matter? The car is worthless to me if there is no correct VIN tag for it. You can get a replacement body code plate made up any day of the week though.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something here, but if you don't have the correct VIN tag for the car, does it really matter? The car is worthless to me if there is no correct VIN tag for it. You can get a replacement body code plate made up any day of the week though.

The dash VIN wouldn't stop me. It is the data tag on the core that concerns me. I guess it's a good question, two of the three need to jive with the body number stamps

The dash VIN wouldn't stop me. It is the data tag on the core that concerns me. I guess it's a good question, two of the three need to jive with the body number stamps

At least here in California, there must be a factory vin tag on the car or it has to get an assigned a state vin no. if no problems occur in checking the history of the car based on what numbers do match on the car - i.e body code plate, body stampings and door end sticker. That is never good from an investment standpoint at least.

C body guys do not invest.

Who's checking the tags

Well, I guess I am not a real C body guy then despite the hoard of them. I personally don't want a car that doesn't have its correct VIN, is a rust bucket or doesn't have a/c (most of the time on the latter - e.g. 440 6 pack Fury GTs are fine). They just aren't acceptable cars to me or worth putting money and time into (i.e. investing) because I will never like them is all. In terms of the missing VIN, I would feel it is missing its identity.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I am not a real C body guy then despite the hoard of them. I personally don't want a car that doesn't have its correct VIN, is a rust bucket or doesn't have a/c (most of the time on the latter - e.g. 440 6 pack Fury GTs are fine). They just aren't acceptable cars to me or worth putting money and time into (i.e. investing) because I will never like them is all. In terms of the missing VIN, I would feel it is missing its identity.
Who is checking the tags?

An out of state vehicle brought here to California has to be inspected by the DMV or an independent vehicle verifier, and this is one of the items that must be in place. If not and the rest checks out, then DMV will issue their own VIN for the vehicle.

If you want to sell a vehicle to another country, lack of a VIN is a problem, as this is something checked upon arrival at its new home overseas, and must be in place and correct and may also be checked when shipped from California at least by the shipper to avoid problems later.

I doubt whether it'd be possible to export the car, let alone import it into another country as officials would be suspicious of why the number wasn't correct.

From bringing cars back and forth both ways,I've found the border officials only check the dash VIN to confirm that it matches the number on the title/registration and if it does,it looks a-ok to them.I doubt any of them would know what a fender tag even is,never mind cross reference it with the VIN on certain years of old Mopars.
Going by what Tobias has indicated,the dash VIN would be the one that matches up with the BC paperwork so it would be exportable to wherever and insurable and only a knowledgeable Mopar person would know that either the VIN or the fender tag has been changed.

From bringing cars back and forth both ways,I've found the border officials only check the dash VIN to confirm that it matches the number on the title/registration and if it does,it looks a-ok to them.I doubt any of them would know what a fender tag even is,never mind cross reference it with the VIN on certain years of old Mopars.
Going by what Tobias has indicated,the dash VIN would be the one that matches up with the BC paperwork so it would be exportable to wherever and insurable and only a knowledgeable Mopar person would know that either the VIN or the fender tag has been changed.
If you cross the Kingsgate Idaho Border they know what a fendertag is i had it a few times that they inspected all 3 locations Dashboard- Door Tag - Fendertag , is a little difficult to get a proper dashboard vin tag but is possible

If I have followed correctly, it's the other way around : dash VIN does not match papers.

If you cross the Kingsgate Idaho Border they know what a fendertag is i had it a few times that they inspected all 3 locations Dashboard- Door Tag - Fendertag , is a little difficult to get a proper dashboard vin tag but is possible

I brought my 70 Fury through that crossing earlier this year with minimal checking,I guess it depends who you get and how through they are about checking numbers.Maybe how busy they are at the time as well.

Regarding the last sentence in your post,is there a place that make proper dash VIN tags for Mopars? I can't say I've heard of one,not sure the legalities of it either way.

Last edited:
I brought my 70 Fury through that crossing earlier this year with minimal checking,I guess it depends who you get and how through they are about checking numbers.Maybe how busy they are at the time as well.

Regarding the last sentence in your post,is there a place that make proper dash VIN tags for Mopars? I can't say I've heard of one,not sure the legalities of it either way.
Yes you can get a new dashboard vin tag is no problem, all what they need is a photo of the fender tag and vin stamped in body and title in your name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back