1970 T&C Disc Brakes Help - need caliper pistons or conversion update info

Rivet

Reaction score
I've got a 70 Chrysler T&C that I'm trying to get back to basic running reliability. It's a bit rough body-wise so full resto to show car status isn't feasible or practical, but at least surviving and driving is.
Anyways, it sat parked for quite a while with the PO. So the brakes were frozen pretty bad. I've replaced the hoses, but the drivers' side caliper piston was stuck with the brakes on and it rusted and pitted pretty bad.
I've cleaned it and the caliper up pretty well and put it back together, but I'm concerned that the calipers and/or replacement caliper pistons seem to be out of stock -everywhere-. Rock auto, Autozone, etc. all seem to have
the permanent "out of stock" status for these brakes; I'm worried that the caliper pistons being rusted and pitted will just make them prone to getting stuck in the bore again and unsafe to keep using. I think my calipers are ok, though.

That being said, does anyone have any lines on getting replacement parts or is there some sort of conversion to a new caliper/spindle/rotor combo from a newer model Mopar that's more common and accessible? Again,
not concerned with keeping full OEM / NOS levels.. just restomod drivability & reliability. I've tried to search the forums about brakes, and there's lots of posts about drum conversions and using the 68-72 hardware, but that seems to be for non-wagon hardware, and the wagon calipers seem like they're a unique part & slightly bigger, and much harder to find. So trying to find wagon-specific brake info.

Thanks!
Rivet

Contact Rick Ehrenberg via ricks-mopar on eBay.

ricks-mopars | eBay Stores

Has the pistons, seals, springs and pads if needed…even the little rubber bushings for the glide pins if that. Is what you have on your set up. I rebuilt my calipers through him. If you have questions on brakes disk set ups and conversions - he can help.

From looking in the Chrysler Parts Book, ALL of the front disc brake items are body-series-specific (as in A,B,E,C, etc.). No "wagon" or "non-wagon" calipers, just "calipers". The main difference in the C-body sedan and wagon brake systems was in the width of the rear drums, nothing to do with the front disc brake items, except possibly more HD frictions with the trailer package, I suspect. No room in the book for "model-specific" items, just "body series-specific", although the model might be listed in the basic description on the lh column.

Being that station wagons were somewhat low-production vehicles (from any OEM), the front disc brake calipers would be the same as the sedan items. But the frictions might be different, but the same size of brake pad, possibly.

Just because you will find "T&C" in the drop down menus does not mean that those same items will not also be applicable to sedan-type models too.

Now, what you CAN do is send your calipers to a rebuilder that will install stainless steel sleeves in them, plus new pistons, seals, and such. Then you get them back ready for assembly and installation.

The particular Chrysler parts book I was looking at was for 1969, downloaded from www.mymopar.com . They also have the 1970-71 parts book also, but the one I downloaded was only the illustrations section rather than the parts section. FWIW

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

From looking in the Chrysler Parts Book, ALL of the front disc brake items are body-series-specific (as in A,B,E,C, etc.). No "wagon" or "non-wagon" calipers, just "calipers". The main difference in the C-body sedan and wagon brake systems was in the width of the rear drums, nothing to do with the front disc brake items, except possibly more HD frictions with the trailer package, I suspect. No room in the book for "model-specific" items, just "body series-specific", although the model might be listed in the basic description on the lh column.

Being that station wagons were somewhat low-production vehicles (from any OEM), the front disc brake calipers would be the same as the sedan items. But the frictions might be different, but the same size of brake pad, possibly.

I guess my confusion comes from the fact I see a lot of folks talking about (using Autozone as an example) C170 / C171 calipers (which are in stock) as applicable to C-body non-wagons which fitment guides say do not fit my wagon, and that my wagon uses C508/509 which are not available. C170/171 are listed on their fitment guide as being for A/B/E body I guess.. either way, having the parts manuals helps, I've grabbed them off mymopar.com - and looking into potential rebuilding as well. Thanks!

Back