1970 Three Hundred convertible fender tag

Thanks Marko. And no screw seen in the RH mirror in my 300. But again, why rear speaker is in the body tag but RH mirror is not. I don't understand that logic if there is some logic. Sorry if l go on this, but I'm trying to understand.

ive also been told that whats on the tag can also be to make sure that the car has the necessary wiring & holes in the body for things like the rear speaker wiring.
dont know if thats totally right but it makes sense

In 1970 the Chrysler factory had just adopted a new computer based ordering system, without piloting it first, and it did not work out well.
”Cars went to wrong destinations with the wrong options installed. At one point, 200 Chrysler New Yorkers, …, left the factory with standard transmissions and with no air conditioning, power steering, or power brakes.” - The quote is from Charles K. Hyde’s book ”Riding the roller coaster. History of the Chrysler Corporation.” Page 211/385.

Stuff happens, as Donald Rumsfelt once said.

My point is, it is possible that there are mistakes in the fender tag. Just one example: my father’s 1970 New Yorker 4 door Hardtop was ordered from the factory in 2/1970. The fender tag (the VIN) for a ’70 NY’er 4d HT reads ”CH43”. Yet it had a fender tag reading ”CH41”, which means a 4d Sedan! - Well, all I can think of is that the guy pressing those tags sometime in March 1970 either had a severe hangover, or was illiterate. Either that, or then he just thought, ”OK, another Hardtop Sedan… so it’s a Sedan.”

So, @Kaim , I have not read that you have looked for or have found a build sheet. Did I miss that?

Is there a build sheet. That would certainly help the understanding of the missing code.

After reading tags for some time now I agree with 330dTA about the people in the factory doing the actual work.
They were just some guys that were drunk the night before and could care less about what they were doing.
Just like factory guys in todays world. Could care less if things are accurate.

Very good points guys, very good indeed. Mistakes happened :thumbsup:. My car haven't build sheet, it was missing when I bought it.

E86440-4 Barrel High Preformance
D32H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
CM27C = Chrysler
M = Medium
27 = Convertible
T0CT = Unknown
0 = 1970
C = Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA
149216Sequence Number '149216'
EF8Paint Code: Dark Green Metallic
M6F8Trim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
F8 = Green
EF8Upper Door Frame: Dark Green Metallic
A23Date Built: 10 / 23 / 1969
059424Order Number: 059424
V3WRoof Type OR Color: White Convertible Top
R13Astrophonic am radio
R31Duel Rear Speaker w/ R85
P31Power Windows
L31Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
C21Center Seat Foldown Armrest
P25Power LS Bucket or 50/50
B51Power Assisted Brakes
G15Tinted Windshield Only
V5XBlack - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
A23 is the body frame date. It is NOT the car's build date! The BFD is the date the car starts through the plant. It's not the date it comes off the line. It's not considered "built" until it comes off the line. Later driver door labels with an MDH indicate the exact date and time the car came off the line.

Between the time a car starts to be built and actually comes off the line can be as little as about 40 hours or it can be weeks. There's a TON of reasons why that can happen.

Now I don't understand the Chrysler fender's tag code logic. For example, my car has option RH Manual Standard Mirror. The fender's tag e.g includes option "Duel Rear Speaker w/ R85" (code R31) but not G31 (OS RH Mirror). What is the logic here? Is the speaker more important than the mirror? :)
Two possibilities. 1. The mirror was added after the car was built. 2. The information stamped into the fender tag is at the discrection of the tag machine operator. The bottom three lines were mandatory information. After that what went on the tag was his choice. Usually, it follows pretty closely what's on the Broadcast sheet, but obviously doesn't have the same detail.

In 1970 the Chrysler factory had just adopted a new computer based ordering system, without piloting it first, and it did not work out well.
”Cars went to wrong destinations with the wrong options installed. At one point, 200 Chrysler New Yorkers, …, left the factory with standard transmissions and with no air conditioning, power steering, or power brakes.” - The quote is from Charles K. Hyde’s book ”Riding the roller coaster. History of the Chrysler Corporation.” Page 211/385.

Stuff happens, as Donald Rumsfelt once said.
I know Charlie Hyde. I am going to check into this. Not impossible, but.......

Now I don't understand the Chrysler fender's tag code logic. For example, my car has option RH Manual Standard Mirror. The fender's tag e.g includes option "Duel Rear Speaker w/ R85" (code R31) but not G31 (OS RH Mirror). What is the logic here? Is the speaker more important than the mirror? :)

i think you're over thinking the rh mirror and the body tag.
my car was ordered with the rh mirror and its not on the body tag but is on the build sheet.
and as @330dTA pointed out, if it was installed at the factory, no screws will be visible

On 1970 F Series Broadcast Sheets I see the following:

Group G: Glass - Mirrors
Pre-Printed Slot: 3- "Mirror O/S Rt."
Inserted Value: 31 "Outside Right, Manual"

Pre-Printed Slot: 3- "Remote Mir. Or Del."
Inserted Value: 33 "Outside Left, Remote Control"

So yes, on a broadcast sheet it can be noted.

As to the fender tag, you could put the question the other way around: Who knows of a 1970 fender tag that contains the G31 code? Ie. was it ever noted on the fender tag?

Easy to tell if it's a dealer added mirror. If you see screws, it's dealer added. No screws, it was probably assembly line.

Assembly line mirror:

jn0rLyT.jpg

Dealer added mirror:

L795J6n.jpg

From the 1970 Dealer Accessory Catalog, Page 20.

Mirror.jpg

(...) Who knows of a 1970 fender tag that contains the G31 code? Ie. was it ever noted on the fender tag?
@JPMODL 's Molara -- but I am not 100% sure that info came from the fender tag as DL27L0D113633 was rebuilt back in the day with a new front clip from a donor 1970 Monaco 4dr hardtop by then-owner Rich S. @polara71, who posted the info, would know.

@Ruger 's loaded FK5 1970 Polara 'vert, DL27T0D119129 , has the G31 fender tag stamping -- see here

1684939254557.png

Those cars are both Belvedere-built. The approach taken at other plants is known to be different (Belvedere and, especially, Newark tags are way more talkative than the Jefferson Ave ones).

@Ruger 's loaded FK5 1970 Polara 'vert, DL27T0D119129 , has the G31 fender tag stamping -- see here

View attachment 598556

Those cars are both Belvedere-built. The approach taken at other plants is known to be different (Belvedere and, especially, Newark tags are way more talkative than the Jefferson Ave ones).

I think you nailed it!

It's an East Jefferson fender tag we're talking about. Possibly they didn't note the G31 code as a matter of principle?

This is probably not relevant to any of yal C body fellas but the Hamtramck plant would sometimes put G31 on the tags.
Also the LA plant would put G31 on the tag. The purple car is an M46 car. That's what I am always looking for, M46.

For the majority of the time the G31 will only be listed with G33 together on the tag.
That should be across the board for A,B,C and E body cars.

aar clone.jpg

Al's M46 tag.jpg

BS23R0B178859.jpg

chally strawberry shortcake 1.JPG

@JPMODL 's Molara -- but I am not 100% sure that info came from the fender tag as DL27L0D113633 was rebuilt back in the day with a new front clip from a donor 1970 Monaco 4dr hardtop by then-owner Rich S. @polara71, who posted the info, would know.

View attachment 598556

My car is from Jefferson plant and the right side mirror is factory installed (no visible screws), but its code is not on the tag. Apparently, some Chrysler's plants were more accurate than others, which is strange in itself. Can a conclusion be drawn: the fender tag is not 100 % reliable at least on cars made in Jefferson.

I wouldn't call them unreliable. It's more another way of coding things.

As an example, take 1974 Fury III and Fury Gran, that had L25 Trunk Compartment Light as standard equipment.

Belvidere tags show that L25 code

74-101339-PH23K4D101339.jpg

but Newark tags do not.

74-141135-PH41M4F141135-fendertag.jpg

A23 is the body frame date. It is NOT the car's build date! The BFD is the date the car starts through the plant. It's not the date it comes off the line. It's not considered "built" until it comes off the line. Later driver door labels with an MDH indicate the exact date and time the car came off the line.

Between the time a car starts to be built and actually comes off the line can be as little as about 40 hours or it can be weeks. There's a TON of reasons why that can happen.
Kevin, I wasn’t there when you had that discussion. But the scenario described to you goes against what we can document and cannot account for cars we can document built before the SPD. It cannot account for common SPDs on package cars.

Again, I wasn’t there. I didn’t hear what he said nor ask follow up questions but what was described to you as you relate could not have happened.

Two possibilities. 1. The mirror was added after the car was built. 2. The information stamped into the fender tag is at the discrection of the tag machine operator. The bottom three lines were mandatory information. After that what went on the tag was his choice. Usually, it follows pretty closely what's on the Broadcast sheet, but obviously doesn't have the same detail.
Mistakes happen but they are not common.

What was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded on a tag changed year to year, plant to plant and even within the year but coding was not discretionary by operator.

We can document this by compiling large number of tags in a spread sheet. We see when codes start and end or under what circumstances codes appear.

One thing you have to consider for the original question (why is it missing?) is coding philosophy for Jefferson plant. WHERE on the tag would the code be IF it was coded?

The Jefferson plant is more like Lynch Road than other plant. Only a limited number of codes are even put on a Jefferson tag and they usually have assigned positions on the tag. So, was there even a poition on the tag allocated to a specific code?

Now I'm "twisting the knife" but my 1970 Three Hundred doesn't have the Auto Speed Control code N88 on the fender tag either. And ASC seem original in the engine room and interior. My car radio is "Search Tune AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)", code R23 but in the tag it is R13. There is lots of mistakes in my car's tag or they are misinterpretations on my part.

1970_fender_tag_Chrysler_300.jpg

Speed_control_and_radio.png

Back