For Sale 1971 Chrysler 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second time around. His first two listings on Craigslist were priced at $20K. So has dropped the price considerably now.

I was just out there offered him 12k cash he wouldn't take it. He said his lowest price is $12,500
The car is pretty clean, it does have rust in the trunk with holes, he said he rebuilt the carb but it really doesn't want to idle kinda hesitates when you drive it, when he had it painted whoever did it sprayed foam in the rear quarters where the trunk is to patch some rust, the pant is nice but I would rather know what is under the lipstick. Interior is perfect. Back panel under the rear bumper is gone, rip in the top, the trim on driver side is cut and spliced, tires are pretty old (hard as a rock), single exhaust (standard 440) with T in vin code, dent in front driver side. Was going to drive it back to Seattle but I'll fly home instead. Not the one for me.

I was just out there offered him 12k cash he wouldn't take it. He said his lowest price is $12,500

12 was your offer after you inspected that car or before you knew about the flaws it has ?
I'm wondering about not getting together because of 500 $that's why I'm asking

12 was your offer after you inspected that car or before you knew about the flaws it has ?
I'm wondering about not getting together because of 500 $that's why I'm asking

If it's worth 12 then 12.5 shouldn't be a deal killer.
I'd stay away for that money and pay a few more Ks for a better car

If it's worth 12 then 12.5 shouldn't be a deal killer.
I'd stay away for that money and pay a few more Ks for a better car

I agree.

Unless it would have been the perfect colour combo.
But at that point the 12,5k wouldn't have mattered.

Carsten

Exactly, but seeing i made the trip to assess the car myself as I've been burned before with buying a car site unseen and then only when it shows up that the reality sets in.
So I had to take into account the flight, rental car, gas back to Seattle, and a couple hotel rooms into the equation.
In short another 2k when I turned it off in my driveway. And there was no way that I was going to have a starting point of $14,500 14k yes but not 14.5 and then bring the car back to what it needs and some things I would do to make it just the way I want. Just saying..

Even though it’s a rerun I guess we should be able to know what’s bing talked bout here, dontcha think?
DCDB9150-CEF6-44BA-A11D-11BEB451E17B.jpeg

transmission: automatic
type: sedan

Second owner--original owner was my grand mother. 32,485 original miles and the title states the mileage-- 440ci, 4 barell, torque flight trans, matching numbers. This car was purchased by my grandpa new in 1971 and comes with fresh factory maroon paint. The car is in good condition and interior is excellent. Need cash or trade for ???

Missing:
Tilt steering wheel lever--screws into the column.
Rear undercarriage cover--piece of sheet metal that bolts to under body under back bumper.
Rear license plate bracket.
Passenger side "three hundred" emblem.--stolen.
Interior "300" emblem--stolen.

Things wrong:
Needs carb adjustment. It has original Carter AVS carb. Just rebuilt carb w carb kit but did not adjust it. Does not need new carb, only adjustment.
Hard top has one area that has two small holes in it w rust exposed.
Hard top also has bubbles at bottom of rear window glass.
Trunk has two holes in trunk pan from rust. It will need patching. Trunk pan DOES NOT need replacing, only patching.
Drivers side front quarter panel is dented--done by a city worker who laid new asphalt on my street. Typical gov't worker! He did not take responsibility for his damage.
Trunk mat needs replacing as it is ripped.
Ignition switch is going out and eventually will need to be replaced but it still works.
Car needs wax and buffing.
AC needs charging as gas has leaked out.

Just paid $5,370 for paint and body work--i have receipt. No significant rust behind quarter panels or rocker panels. No significant rust on crossmembers. Car was garaged its whole life up until five years ago, then it was painted last year and covered since. The car is solid. Body work was done with lead filler here at Pomeroy's paint and auto body in Show Low, AZ in 2017.

I've already been offered $12,000 and turned it down so don't low ball me. I am negotiable, but if you want my car, you can pay what I want for it.

If you want to drive her across the country, she is reliable and a blast to drive.

Every day I drive it I get a minimum of two compliments on it. I've put about 2000 miles on it, and grandma drove the rest, like a grandma. This car has no rattles while you drive it, the brakes are silent, the doors shut gently and align perfectly as well as the trunk and hood, the windows all work, and inside the interior is like sitting in a new car. The headliner etc is perfect and the electric seat controls work.

No offense intended, and I generally don't like to beat up on the values of our cars, but I wouldn't have offered more than $5k for that car... And that's reflecting a reality that the strong economy is driving up prices.

Just because the seller dropped "$5,370" into paint work on a car with a toasted vinyl top, Home Depot foam in the 1/4s, missing valance, a rusty trunk, etc. doesn't mean a buyer is obligated to pay for that stupidity.

I'll give the guy some credit for listing so many problems, but let's read his ad through my cynical, jaded eyes...

Second owner--original owner was my grand mother. 32,485 original miles and the title states the mileage--

Titles that have never left the family are the ones where I would be least-likely to trust the mileage. Just saying... because otherwise, who cares? His grandma never baked me any cookies!

440ci, 4 barell, torque flight trans, matching numbers. This car was purchased by my grandpa new in 1971 and comes with fresh factory maroon paint.

Sorry, but the factory that painted that car is long gone my friend, and they used a high-solid formulation that requires a bake oven to cure. I believe you mean "original color repaint using chemically-cured refinishing materials".

The car is in good condition and interior is excellent. Need cash or trade for ???

Someone come along and offer me the Hope Diamond or acreage in Prescott because I can dream, right?

Missing:
Rear undercarriage cover--piece of sheet metal that bolts to under body under back bumper.
Interior "300" emblem--stolen

This must be a super high-theft area for very obscure car parts.

Things wrong:
Needs carb adjustment. It has original Carter AVS carb. Just rebuilt carb w carb kit but did not adjust it. Does not need new carb, only adjustment.

So we are to believe the seller is able to perform a competent tear-down and re-assembly of a complex component, but cannot (or will not) walk that last mile to move a few screws or tweak some linkage? Maybe because changing a few gaskets didn't solve an existing problem? That seems more likely.

Be sure not to get any grind marks, weld-spatter or vinyl glue on that fresh paint.

Trunk has two holes in trunk pan from rust. It will need patching. Trunk pan DOES NOT need replacing, only patching.

So the trunk does not need replacement like the carb only needs adjustment?

Drivers side front quarter panel is dented--done by a city worker who laid new asphalt on my street. Typical gov't worker! He did not take responsibility for his damage.

This guy is quite the victim. People steal parts and damage that poor car on a seemingly regular basis. Having one foot in local government, I'd love to show you how many claims we get for damage X that is present in a Google Earth view from 2007.

Ignition switch is going out and eventually will need to be replaced but it still works.

In a few paragraphs you're going to tell me that I can drive it across the country. Just don't shut it off I guess.

Wha? My factory-fresh paint already looks dull?

Is it ever this simple? No, it's not. It's AZ, a 3rd grader knows how to charg and an AC system. Just admit you have no idea what is wrong.

Just paid $5,370 for paint and body work--i have receipt.

And now I have to buff it out?

No significant rust behind quarter panels or rocker panels. No significant rust on crossmembers.

A one-night-stand would not be a "significant other", but it might still cost you your marriage.

Car was garaged its whole life up until five years ago, then it was painted last year and covered since.

Absolutely irrelevant considering how much cosmetic work is now required.

The car is solid. Body work was done with lead filler here at Pomeroy's paint and auto body in Show Low, AZ in 2017.

Sure it was. And the engine is a 440 Hemi wedge that accidentally made it out of the factory.

I've already been offered $12,000 and turned it down so don't low ball me. I am negotiable, but if you want my car, you can pay what I want for it.

I put this in to sound tough.

If you want to drive her across the country, she is reliable and a blast to drive.

..once you sort all the problems and replace the old tires.

Every day I drive it I get a minimum of two compliments on it. I've put about 2000 miles on it, and grandma drove the rest, like a grandma. This car has no rattles while you drive it, the brakes are silent, the doors shut gently and align perfectly as well as the trunk and hood, the windows all work, and inside the interior is like sitting in a new car. The headliner etc is perfect and the electric seat controls work.

1) I'm tired of the Grandma fetish.

2) I'll mail your comments to JD Power and pester them to revise their Chrysler long-tern quality data.

This car isn't going anywhere soon and the guy is going to regret not accepting that offer.

Last edited:
No offense intended, and I generally don't like to beat up on the values of our cars, but I wouldn't have offered more than $5k for that car... And that's reflecting a reality that the strong economy is driving up prices.

Just because the seller dropped "$5,370" into paint work on a car with a toasted vinyl top, Home Depot foam in the 1/4s, missing valance, a rusty trunk, etc. doesn't mean a buyer is obligated to pay for that stupidity.

I'll give the guy some credit for listing so many problems, but let's read his ad through my cynical, jaded eyes...

Second owner--original owner was my grand mother. 32,485 original miles and the title states the mileage--

Titles that have never left the family are the ones where I would be least-likely to trust the mileage. Just saying... because otherwise, who cares? His grandma never baked me any cookies!

440ci, 4 barell, torque flight trans, matching numbers. This car was purchased by my grandpa new in 1971 and comes with fresh factory maroon paint.

Sorry, but the factory that painted that car is long gone my friend, and they used a high-solid formulation that requires a bake oven to cure. I believe you mean "original color repaint using chemically-cured refinishing materials".

The car is in good condition and interior is excellent. Need cash or trade for ???

Someone come along and offer me the Hope Diamond or acreage in Prescott because I can dream, right?

Missing:
Interior "300" emblem--stolen

This must be a super high-theft area for very obscure car parts.

Things wrong:

So we are to believe the seller is able to perform a competent tear-down and re-assembly of a complex component, but cannot (or will not) walk that last mile to move a few screws or tweak some linkage? Maybe because changing a few gaskets didn't solve an existing problem? That seems more likely.

Be sure not to get any grind marks, weld-spatter or vinyl glue on that fresh paint.

So the trunk does not need replacement like the carb only needs adjustment?

This guy is quite the victim. People steal parts and damage that poor car on a seemingly regular basis. Having one foot in local government, I'd love to show you how many claims we get for damage X that is present in a Google Earth view from 2007.

In a few paragraphs you're going to tell me that I can drive it across the country. Just don't shut it off I guess.

Wha? My factory-fresh paint already looks dull?

Is it ever this simple? No, it's not. It's AZ, a 3rd grader knows how to charg and an AC system. Just admit you have no idea what is wrong.

Just paid $5,370 for paint and body work--i have receipt.

And now I have to buff it out?

No significant rust behind quarter panels or rocker panels. No significant rust on crossmembers.

A one-night-stand would not be a "significant other", but it might still cost you your marriage.

Car was garaged its whole life up until five years ago, then it was painted last year and covered since.

Absolutely irrelevant considering how much cosmetic work is now required.

The car is solid. Body work was done with lead filler here at Pomeroy's paint and auto body in Show Low, AZ in 2017.

Sure it was. And the engine is a 440 Hemi wedge that accidentally made it out of the factory.

I put this in to sound tough.

..once you sort all the problems and replace the old tires.

1) I'm tired of the Grandma fetish.

2) I'll mail your comments to JD Power and pester them to revise their Chrysler long-tern quality data.

This car isn't going anywhere soon and the guy is going to regret not accepting that offer.

clapping-bravo-smiley-emoticon.gif

As faded as the VT is, and who knows what it looked like before the repaint, it does not seem like it was always garaged except for a 4-year period.
Aside from his claim of mileage on the title, and the odometer looking oh-so-slightly uneven, I would've said it was a well-cared-for 133k car.

Regardless, seems a bit overpriced at 12,500-14000 due to the handful of flaws (especially the roofrust and whatever holes the trunk has).

upload_2018-6-27_19-7-44.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back