1971 colorado state patrol 2 door e85 fury 1

There is always stuff going on behind the scenes that people dont know.

I know this is a restoration thread, here is a quick snapshot of how this one started.

Last year I had both cornea transplants. Every day I get to see is a bonus. I am a car guy, bought my first one when I was 10. So, I want to drive a car that makes me smile every day, while I still can.

At the same time, my dad is almost 80. We didnt get along for many years. The car is at his place and we are finally doing one together, while we still can.

I have always had a soft spot for this era of mopars, so went looking. I thought I would get 2 birds with one stone, and bought this car. Turns out, it is just so darn nice and uncommon that the daily driver piece is probably not there.

So, it may end up for sale, yes. I hope this explains that there are more things in play than making a few bucks. I also hope everyone knows my motives on this site are to share a great car with the ones who appreciate it, not to get free advertising.

all I can say is have fun with it and keep us up to date.
If you want to sell it: Please offer it here. There is a bunch of enthusiasts out here who might be interested if it is available

Carsten

I like it. good luck with it @robio.

:thumbsup:
all I can say is have fun with it and keep us up to date.
If you want to sell it: Please offer it here. There is a bunch of enthusiasts out here who might be interested if it is available

Carsten
i'd be paying attention if it came up for sale -- after 2021 (stuff in the queue til then). Cool old "real", highly original, cop coupes from any era aint that plentiful nowadays

Ok, got to spend a little time with her today.

Here are a few more pics. I am sorry if I didnt get something that was asked for, let me know again.

First, here is the dealer tag that was mentioned.

I have swapped wheels with the guy that bought the 68 cop car at the same auction. My car I had 3 of his with hubcap tabs, and only one of my original smooth wheels. His had two of my smooth wheels. We swapped 2.for 2, and he gave me.some cash for the 3rd one of his I had. When the dust settled, he got all 5 of his, and I only have 3. I have stated that hunt and will post a want add. Here is a pic of what I have 3 of.

This is the map.picture I mentioned. It is all over the big e auction site for less than 10 bucks if for some reason you want one. 1973 colorado by the department of highways

I have mentioned how rust free it is. Here are some things that blew me away.

I have dropped a few gas tanks in my life, and twisted off a few strap bolts when doing so. I didnt use any penetrating oil, did t even have to cuss or make a face, they came right off. The other pic is of the inside and inner of the rear quarter, right behind the wheel.

I thought I heard somewhere that the rear leaf springs are wider on a police car, is this true? Here are the shackles.

I have to get the tank back in first, but brakes and wheel cylinders are next. Am I going to find unique pads?

And, the big one, THE BUILD SHEET. Out of pics here, I will write another one about that.

20201213_133637.jpg

20201213_141700.jpg

20201213_141736.jpg

20201213_141448.jpg

20201213_141517.jpg

20201213_133807.jpg

20201213_133907.jpg

20201213_133848.jpg

20201213_133559.jpg

20201213_133617.jpg

Congratulations on build sheet!

Looking forward to discussion on that if I understand correctly that you have it!

tuff job on the knees, working on the gravel

I got me some military knee pads years ago and they are so much better than knees directly on rocks, concrete, wood floors, and I even use them in the house if working on these older knees!

Ok, drumroll, here it is.

The build sheet is in great shape. I got a little nervous while digging it out though. The lower springs came up, found a couple silver quarters, all is good. I looked at the two bolts for the back to see what size i needed, and they were both missing. I thought, oh no, it is going to be gone, someone has been here. Maybe the seat back got swapped out at some point and it will be for a.different car... oh no.

Then, that moment as you pull the seat back, is it there, is it there....

YES!

Only a few small holes worn in it, great shape.

Here are the pics. Cant wait to hear what you guys get from these numbers.

Man that looks pristine! Will have to wait for police package and 71 experts to provide the expert analysis and dissertation of the facts.

Appreciate the zoom ins. Thumbs up!

Would help us peons if you could take a pic in good light, out of the sleeve, in portrait mode, and straight on that gets the hole thing in one shot.

Well done!

My 2 cents - it was clear you were looking for a fun project and you were surprised with what you found, a pleasant surprise that you will be rewarded with whether you keep it or not. Anyone giving you grief is envious.

tuff job on the knees, working on the gravel

LOL

Yes, it is. This is the price I have to pay to do it out at my dad's. I can bring it in the shop to work on it, no problem. But, to leave it torn apart and in the way is another story.

What were his words? .... oh yeah, I remember. "Like hell one of my vehicles is going to sit outside"

Hopefull running soon.

Well it came with 2 spotlights but the map picture cruiser only has one
These are all cop items.

√ RADIO SUPP PKG (Bonding Straps) I wonder how many are still on the exhaust?
√ SPOTLIGHT LT
√ SPOTLIGHT RT
√ ROOF LIGHT REINF
√ H/D STOP LAMP SW
√ CALI SPEEDO
√ OIL PRES GAUGE
√ C/MBR REINF
√ DECK LID KNOB/PWR RELEASE
√ FAST IDLE THROTTLE
√ SEAT SPRINGS

Reminds me of the day of my 1st 1968 PK21 where I had to pull the seats to weld up the driver side frame down by the seat back latch and discovering the build sheets. Being a clueless 17 year old I could see the special cop items but had no clue as to what the numbers meant or even where to look for that information.

Ok, got to spend a little time with her today.

Here are a few more pics. I am sorry if I didnt get something that was asked for, let me know again.

First, here is the dealer tag that was mentioned.

I have swapped wheels with the guy that bought the 68 cop car at the same auction. My car I had 3 of his with hubcap tabs, and only one of my original smooth wheels. His had two of my smooth wheels. We swapped 2.for 2, and he gave me.some cash for the 3rd one of his I had. When the dust settled, he got all 5 of his, and I only have 3. I have stated that hunt and will post a want add. Here is a pic of what I have 3 of.

This is the map.picture I mentioned. It is all over the big e auction site for less than 10 bucks if for some reason you want one. 1973 colorado by the department of highways

I have mentioned how rust free it is. Here are some things that blew me away.

I have dropped a few gas tanks in my life, and twisted off a few strap bolts when doing so. I didnt use any penetrating oil, did t even have to cuss or make a face, they came right off. The other pic is of the inside and inner of the rear quarter, right behind the wheel.

I thought I heard somewhere that the rear leaf springs are wider on a police car, is this true? Here are the shackles.

I have to get the tank back in first, but brakes and wheel cylinders are next. Am I going to find unique pads?

And, the big one, THE BUILD SHEET. Out of pics here, I will write another one about that.

View attachment 422682

View attachment 422683

View attachment 422684

View attachment 422685

View attachment 422686

View attachment 422697

View attachment 422698

View attachment 422699

View attachment 422700

View attachment 422701

The disc pads on pursuit class police cruisers were riveted, not bonded, they were supposed to hold up better in the extreme heat of police service. Rear brakes were usually 11" x 3" shoes. In '71 they were asbestos. Wheel cylinders and calipers are standard production items. Most police cruisers have police specific torsion bars and rear springs. As I recall, the rear springs were the same width with extra leaves and sturdier rear brackets. Your cruiser still has factory rear drums and the factory front disc rotors. Note Pentastar on the rear drum and 2 piece construction on the front rotor.

Dave

The quarters look fabulous & the car appears to be very unmolested. People won't want me to say this but that car could turn out to be quite valuable, a 2 door 440 cop car in any shape is very rare & desirable, especially the non-smog variety. Please someone decode the whole deal, I could but I'm too lazy.

Most police cruisers have police specific torsion bars and rear springs.

Dave

Checking the parts book....

578/579 torsion bars have applications other than police.
front shocks 142 have applications other than police.
rear shocks 145 show as police only.

055 rear spring...this appears to be an assembly code that does not cross reference to a specific part number.

Back