NOT MINE 1971 Imperial 2dr (Odenton, MD)

A friend of mine also tried to reach out, and has gotten zero response too. Strange. A few additional comments and a question:

1. There seem to be water marks on the rear shelf. The interior rear window cover panel seems to be sagging. Based on a discussion with an expert friend of mine, this might indicate an issue with water intrusion through the panel surrounding the rear window under the vinyl top. The fact that the vinyl top is not original, and is splitting in two places, suggests caution there too.

2. The interior looks like MRF7 (green leather buckets with buddy seat). I see a rip in the driver's seat on the door side of the headrest (at the seam).
(Edit: I agree with @Imperial Pete that it looks more like MRY5 gold).

3. The radio is missing, and the likelihood that AutoTemp II is in working condition is essentially zilch.

--> And here is my question for @detmatt @azblackhemi @'69FuryIIIConvertible and anyone else who would like to chime in:

From the door jambs, do I see correctly that the original color was lighter? GF3? GF7 lit up by the camera flash? GJ4 maybe?

Last edited:
I would guess GY4.

A friend of mine also tried to reach out, and has gotten zero response too. Strange.

I would guess the owner to be the go-getter/type A that immediately answers questions!

Either that, or he's locked up somewhere without FB access.

I would guess GY4.
Did you mean GJ4 April Green / Moss Green? The original looks metallic whereas GY4 is Honeydew, Buttercup's non-metallic yellow.

Did you mean GJ4 April Green / Moss Green? The original looks metallic whereas GY4 is Honeydew, Buttercup's non-metallic yellow.
Nope, it just looks gold to me. I have GY4 as being “light gold” on a ‘71 Imp..

Nope, it just looks gold to me. I have GY4 as being “light gold” on a ‘71 Imp..
Here’s GY4 — no idea why Chrysler called it gold as it ain’t metallic in the least:

IMG_6529.jpeg

AFAICT, from the list of 1971 Imperial colors, the only one close enough to « gold » is GJ4:

IMG_9438.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is what led to my conclusions whether my sources are right or wrong. This car looks to me like FY4 does in the 1970 imperial color, and trim book that I have. Comparing it to the white book which doesn’t even list a color Called Honeydew(again right or wrong) I assumed GY4 was the ‘71 version of FY4. Bottom line is the color of this car in the door jam just appears to be light gold whatever the code may be.
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5515.jpeg
IMG_5514.jpeg

You fellas seen to have this color thing understood. I missed it completely. Sharp eye @ayilar

Any event ( and no disrespect to seller is intended), lotta stuff going on with this one that could go either way, for what would on its face, is a very desirable vehicle.

Sadly, too many of these for me that can't seem to get sorted from a distance to get serious about it. I still like it though, particularly in its original color.

FLW 99F.png

For the right buyer with parts and skills and a few bucks to put in it (and if you get to look at it first), I hope it finds a good home in a fair deal.

You must be reading a different ad than I am.

1. It doesn't run, the ad says it ran until the fuel line went bad.
No running, driving or stopping until that part (and what else?) is fixed.

2. I would pay much more than $4000 and go a pretty good distance for a 1969-71 Imperial two door, in better condition, than the one being discussed here.

3. Yes, I have the parts.

4. Make mine triple black, please.
Whoops, you got me there. I assumed the best, not the case here. If it's "just" a fuel line, one would think it would be fixed before trying to sell. Looks like it may have wiring issues too. These are pretty rare models, sometimes it's best taking what you can get, however as pictured above, there is more than one red flag popping up.

There seem to be water marks on the rear shelf. The interior rear window cover panel seems to be sagging. Based on a discussion with an expert friend of mine, this might indicate an issue with water intrusion through the panel surrounding the rear window under the vinyl top. The fact that the vinyl top is not original, and is splitting in two places, suggests caution there too.
No doubt that rear plug is leaking, and has been for some time. That's why the trunk lid looks like that. I would guess the trunk floor is also rusty.

Here is what led to my conclusions whether my sources are right or wrong. This car looks to me like FY4 does in the 1970 imperial color, and trim book that I have. Comparing it to the white book which doesn’t even list a color Called Honeydew(again right or wrong) I assumed GY4 was the ‘71 version of FY4. Bottom line is the color of this car in the door jam just appears to be light gold whatever the code may be.

I recently ran into a similar issue with this 1970 Polara 'vert. I did not know from the public photos if it was FF4 (the predecessor of GF3 in 1970) or FY4 (the kinda, but not quite, predecessor of GJ4 in 1971 -- GJ4 is one of my favorite colors, look it up). Luckily, the seller sent more pics and the tag, showing FY4.

In this case, I stand by my prediction: in order of likelihood, GJ4, GF3, GF7. Note that GJ4 is more likely visually, but GF3 is more likely on the basis of production figures (GJ4 was rare).

I recently ran into a similar issue with this 1970 Polara 'vert. I did not know from the public photos if it was FF4 (the predecessor of GF3 in 1970) or FY4 (the kinda, but not quite, predecessor of GJ4 in 1971 -- GJ4 is one of my favorite colors, look it up). Luckily, the seller sent more pics and the tag, showing FY4.

In this case, I stand by my prediction: in order of likelihood, GJ4, GF3, GF7. Note that GJ4 is more likely visually, but GF3 is more likely on the basis of production figures (GJ4 was rare).
It seems to me that something is amiss in terms of color on this car. I look at the door jambs and then at the exterior and I don't see how they match at all.

In looking at my factory color & trim book for 1971, the exterior looks to be GF9 avocado metallic and the door jambs more like GF3. I have a factory original 1971 Chrysler 300 GJ4 car and this one on the exterior for sure isn't that color.

Could it have been repainted early on for just the exterior?

Green colors are the worst ones to nail down.............................

the exterior looks to be GF9 avocado metallic and the door jambs more like GF3. I have a factory original 1971 Chrysler 300 GJ4 car and this one on the exterior for sure isn't that color.

Could it have been repainted early on for just the exterior?
That is definitely been repainted. The exterior color looks like GF9 or something between GF7 and GF9.

The door jambs are what suggests it may have been GJ4, GF3 or maybe even GF7 (if it is a flash light below) -- I actually see two different colors here, and both differ from the outside color. The one to the left seems GF3 or GF7 (with flash light), the interior part looks like GJ4 (or it is a gold trim piece):

_nc_ohc=GmvSkyJXA34AX9csYTB&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg

Lots of molestation taking place on this god forsaken Imperial.

My guess on the hood is that it was driven though a riot in 2020.

Lawd help it!

this picture shows the two different colors of the car along the bottom of the door jamb.
346291288_559705102986549_3578939356789503373_n.jpg
if this car were near me, i'd bag it in a moment. take the hood off, flip it over, block it up and stomp it straight. put a set of cheap steelies on it that would take factory caps. make it safe for the road and drive the bejeezus out of it. nothing could ever be worse that my '69 was and i saved that. just occured to me that it might be easier to straighten the hood if it had a hole cut in it for a tunnel ram.

I'd steer clear of this one, bad vibes all round.

this picture shows the two different colors of the car along the bottom of the door jamb.View attachment 597931if this car were near me, i'd bag it in a moment. take the hood off, flip it over, block it up and stomp it straight. put a set of cheap steelies on it that would take factory caps. make it safe for the road and drive the bejeezus out of it. nothing could ever be worse that my '69 was and i saved that. just occured to me that it might be easier to straighten the hood if it had a hole cut in it for a tunnel ram.

I don't think the hood could be saved. Too much panel-wide stretching and distortion, and that includes the underside support frame.

Pounding it from the backside would result in it 'pitching a tent'... :D

Back