For Sale 1971 imperial 2dr sunroof

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Moment of Silence for your LeBaron, Steve, as a fellow ex California-Sold ‘71 Imperial Coupe Owner; it gets emotional when these righteous Fuselages fly the coop . . .

Honestly, Mark, several times while doing the work on the car that he requested, I felt like telling him I had changed my mind, but I couldn't do that to him. So it will be hard for me too when the flatbed takes it finally from my driveway and off to the port in Long Beach. :(

A friend owned a survivor '71. Brown/brown/white top. I believe it went to a musclecar collector in Oklahoma.

yup, new york car.
71-rusty-sunroof-imperial-jpg.jpg

I believe my 1971 Imperial with a sunroof was the last one in North America besides the one in this thread that is too far gone, at least according to the Mopar sunroof registry that Scott Rutlege takes care of.

I say "was" because I just sold it to a guy in Australia who really wanted the car very badly. It took me about 6 months to decide to sell it to him because I really wanted to keep it, but I already have 2 others (without sunroofs) that are in better shape that would be more easily restored and I just have to make choices to thin out my fleet. He also has all the contacts and information to restore the sunroof in this car, which is currently inop (but the motor does work) and he promised to catalog all the steps and parts he will use along the way to do the restoration of the sunroof. Since I have 3 other sunroof cars that need restoration (they are all 1971 Chryslers, one New Yorker, and 2 300s) and I do not have all the info/contacts/knowledge to do them, I decided to let him forge the way. He will restore it fully and even bought a bunch of NOS parts for the car to do that plus had me go completely through the brakes and fuel system to make them all new, and to comply with the asbestos laws in Australia. I loaded the trunk and interior with them so they could ship with the car. He convinced me that he would be a great owner for this car, and that is why I let it go. I look forward to seeing it done in the not too distant future. That will make me happy.

Unlike the car in this thread that is a rust bucket, this one is the complete opposite, with not a speck of rust on it anywhere. It was a California car all its existence with some 80K miles on it. Matching numbers engine/trans. The colors are unusual but I grew to like them over time. Straight as an arrow.

Some photos of the car are below ready for shipping now. Seeing for the last time in person will be tough................

View attachment 211653 View attachment 211655 View attachment 211509 View attachment 211510 View attachment 211511 View attachment 211512 View attachment 211513
I'm pretty good with repairing those sunroofs Steve , they are pretty simple to fix

I'm pretty good with repairing those sunroofs Steve , they are pretty simple to fix

Thanks Tobias, as I may have to lean on you for some advice perhaps when I get to one of mine. Now there are two people that seem to have access to parts and the knowledge to fix them!

Thanks Tobias, as I may have to lean on you for some advice perhaps when I get to one of mine. Now there are two people that seem to have access to parts and the knowledge to fix them!
Any time Steve no problem

I believe my 1971 Imperial with a sunroof was the last one in North America besides the one in this thread that is too far gone, at least according to the Mopar sunroof registry that Scott Rutlege takes care of.

I say "was" because I just sold it to a guy in Australia who really wanted the car very badly. It took me about 6 months to decide to sell it to him because I really wanted to keep it, but I already have 2 others (without sunroofs) that are in better shape that would be more easily restored and I just have to make choices to thin out my fleet. He also has all the contacts and information to restore the sunroof in this car, which is currently inop (but the motor does work) and he promised to catalog all the steps and parts he will use along the way to do the restoration of the sunroof. Since I have 3 other sunroof cars that need restoration (they are all 1971 Chryslers, one New Yorker, and 2 300s) and I do not have all the info/contacts/knowledge to do them, I decided to let him forge the way. He will restore it fully and even bought a bunch of NOS parts for the car to do that plus had me go completely through the brakes and fuel system to make them all new, and to comply with the asbestos laws in Australia. I loaded the trunk and interior with them so they could ship with the car. He convinced me that he would be a great owner for this car, and that is why I let it go. I look forward to seeing it done in the not too distant future. That will make me happy.

Unlike the car in this thread that is a rust bucket, this one is the complete opposite, with not a speck of rust on it anywhere. It was a California car all its existence with some 80K miles on it. Matching numbers engine/trans. The colors are unusual but I grew to like them over time. Straight as an arrow.

Some photos of the car are below ready for shipping now. Seeing for the last time in person will be tough................

View attachment 211653 View attachment 211655 View attachment 211509 View attachment 211510 View attachment 211511 View attachment 211512 View attachment 211513
This is sweet despite the patina!
Hey TX9, if factory was really making these Fusie Imps in the convertible body style, it would be the one and only vert to find its way to my ownership.

Last edited:
Talking about sunroof imperials, did anyone check if Murray still has his red 73 in his yard? I asked a year or so ago and it was being paid off he said then, maybe its now available- was apparently the Detroit motor show car, so must have been loaded.

I guess it is still at Murray`s as it was photographed in a Finnish magazine Mobilisti less than a year ago.

I guess it is still at Murray`s as it was photographed in a Finnish magazine Mobilisti less than a year ago.

My Finnish friend Markku took those photos. I "met" him through the Internet back in the late 90s when he'd never been to the US. FFW almost 20 years and we occasionally eat lunch together at the Chrysler Tech Center cafeteria, lol.

Was it this one I assume?:

For Sale - Another brown 1971 Imperial - FeeBay - This one is SUPERCLEAN & more interesting..

View attachment 212344

View attachment 212345

If so, I heard at the time from a guy that checked into the sale that it went overseas, but he didn't know where. It would be nice if it stayed here in the U.S. since they are becoming an extinct species. Yes, I did say that. :wideyed:

I checked with my buddy. He did say it went somewhere after OKC, but didn't know where. I didn't think that sale was successful, but he'd know better than me.

Only one '71 Imperial Sunroof left in USA?

Snopes rating: Possible.

Was it this one I assume?:

For Sale - Another brown 1971 Imperial - FeeBay - This one is SUPERCLEAN & more interesting..

View attachment 212344

View attachment 212345

If so, I heard at the time from a guy that checked into the sale that it went overseas, but he didn't know where. It would be nice if it stayed here in the U.S. since they are becoming an extinct species. Yes, I did say that. :wideyed:

it went from Michigan to Oklahoma (Scott L.). Scott also purchased the tx9 black 71 SFGT.

The Imperial later on was sold to europe AFAIK

Carsten

I guess it went to Germany to be flipped with a higher AP just like the gray 70 2dr.

Hey guys - I chatted with Scott L. at 2017 Farmington. The brown 1971 sunroof Imperial went to Brazil. I have not heard from the new owner yet. Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back