1971 N-code Factory Sunroof Newport

I posted, back in 2019, a few promotional photos of the 1971 Newport with sunroof. Here is a scan of one that I had never seen till @71Polara383 found it on another board and shared it with me a few months ago. Given the link between this specific Newport and boating, and given the water backdrop and the swimsuit model featured in the photo, this may be the appropriate time to share it:

IMG_9805.JPG

Here is the photo more often seen (courtesy of the great fuselage.de):

71chr_press01b.jpg

I think Wyatt has a good eye, as that first Newport photo doesn't have enough rake to the suspension but it does have plenty of rack.

All I recall from when I bought it is that the owner previous to me was supposed to have been the original owner, and he had ordered or bought the car because of the HP engine to haul his boat to and from the marina.

It had one of those old 70's style chrome bolt on bumper hitches when I first got it and it was removed very shortly after I got it.
Long shot, but I've got to ask. Do you, by any chance, know (i) where the original owner lived when he bought the car, and (ii) where -- city, newspaper -- he listed the car when you bought it?

It would be neat to try and figure out the selling dealer.

It had an original 71 owners manual when I sold it. But someone must have grabbed it and forgot to put it back in.
It is too bad that the original owner's manual disappeared, because I'll wager that the warranty card was in there too? Any memories?

Last edited:
Something else I remember, more as a cautionary tale than anything else.

When I first installed the air shocks I did so with a single air inlet.

But even though I had run air shocks in numerous other vehicles, I apparently got the plastic line to close to the exhaust in this installation.

I had to do a parking lot repair on this set, as the plastic line had bubbled out from being too close to the exhaust.

It was after that repair I decided to do two separate air lines. So each shock could be inflated individually and balanced for better traction

Something else I remember, more as a cautionary tale than anything else.

When I first installed the air shocks I did so with a single air inlet.

But even though I had run air shocks in numerous other vehicles, I apparently got the plastic line to close to the exhaust in this installation.

I had to do a parking lot repair on this set, as the plastic line had bubbled out from being too close to the exhaust.

It was after that repair I decided to do two separate air lines. So each shock could be inflated individually and balanced for better traction

I don't do burn outs and wanted to keep the car with just a slight rake at all times, so I just teed the lines together again. When I restore the car, I will replace the leaf springs and eliminate air shocks since they make a car ride too stiff for my preference. If Ayilar decides to get the car when I am no longer able to use it, then he can decide what he will do since Wyatt's influence could maybe make him a burn out guy too.................but I am thinking he is more self-controlled than that! :poke: I will also extend the dual exhausts to the normal outlets near the bumper rather than at the diff. Can you tell I am kind of a "stock" nut case?? My goal is that the car will look at least as good as new and all original (sorry, no hood pins!).

I love the turquoise color with the white vinyl top and bucket seat interior. I am being pulled in the direction of installing power windows but will probably just leave everything per the body code plate.

I already have an nos grille and headlamp bezels including an nos center emblem (none of which is really all that bad to begin with) plus nos tail lights and an nos rear bumper center applique. The grille was missing 3 of the 5 surround pieces and I now have all of them plus I also have all the body side trim for the car. So I am well along in securing all the pieces needed to make it new again.

I figure my body/paint guy will do all the rust repair, other body work which is slight and do the paint while I am renewing the front end stub frame, suspension, brakes, etc., trans rebuild just to make it like new and will just do to the engine what is needed to make it run reliably for years to come such as new core plugs, new steel head gaskets, new double roller timing chain and so on. I already also have the correct air cleaner. I figure it should take me about 8 - 10 months to get this all done in concert with my body/paint guy once we get started. The power sunroof already works really well since you took good care of it and only needs a new operating switch it appears.

I appreciate that you took good care of the car overall and it still has really low miles after all these years.

Last edited:
I would except that I wouldn't want Tallhair or Joey ticked off that I crashed the site!!! :mad:
I too, have long thought we should be allowed to see your fleet. To use modern parlance, I think we are entitled to it, it's only fair.

Joking aside, - any updates?

I too, have long thought we should be allowed to see your fleet. To use modern parlance, I think we are entitled to it, it's only fair.

Joking aside, - any updates?
Sorry, nothing new at present. Covid has messed up a lot things so I am running behind in a lot of areas. As for my fleet, I don't have a lot of photos to show because I have not had the time to take them but visitors who have been here have a bunch of them. Best way to see the collection is to plan a visit when in the area. Thanks for the interest. I am also paring down the collection as needed since I am up there in age and I don't want to leave my trustee in a bind when my time is up. I am still going strong though, so there will be more to come .....................

Sorry, nothing new at present. Covid has messed up a lot things so I am running behind in a lot of areas. As for my fleet, I don't have a lot of photos to show because I have not had the time to take them but visitors who have been here have a bunch of them. Best way to see the collection is to plan a visit when in the area. Thanks for the interest. I am also paring down the collection as needed since I am up there in age and I don't want to leave my trustee in a bind when my time is up. I am still going strong though, so there will be more to come .....................
I've often thought you probably have somehting there that I'd like to buy if the logistics (and my $$) can be worked out.
And I have a 300L that *might* interest you.
And somehow I've gotta get myself in the cool-kids club on here. :)
I'll send a PM.

Back