For Sale 1971 New Yorker in Tampa, FL (2dr, triple gunmetal, red stripes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine. This car is for sale on eBay by member @mindshark13, who told me he'd be happy if I posted the link here.

I thought about getting the car as I love the color/interior combo (and the red stripes are a nice touch), but I decided to pass because the car needs more bodywork (in the roof/Dutchman panel mostly) than I want to handle at the moment.

The car is loaded. Here is the decode, courtesy of MyMopar.com:

C: Chrysler
H: High
23: 2 Door Hardtop

T: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
1: 1971
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

xxxxxx: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission

GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
H3A6: Trim - High, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat with Pull--Down Armrest, Gunmetal
000: Full Door Panels

917: Build Date: September 17
174736: Order number

V1A: Full Vinyl Top, Gunmetal Gray
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R22: AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps
M45: Fender Skirts
P31: Power Windows
P41: Power Door Locks
S61: Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7R: Accent Stripes, Red
P45: Power Deck Lid Release
R32: Dual Rear Speakers

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Some "interesting" and in my view not particularly tasteful aftermarket accessories. That said, this must have been a stunning car when new. Uniquely equipped. I hope someone can restore it.

So since there is no red stripe remaining on the car I would assume it has had a repaint.
Can someone show me a picture of what this would look like with a red stripe? A picture of another car with the same type of stripe in the typical black.

To be clear, I have not seen the car in person so can’t comment on paint. As per @mindshark13, "those fake spotlights don’t help but at least they didn’t cause too much damage when they installed them. Just 2 panhead screws on the pedestal. Like 1/4 inch holes." AFAICT, the engine bay can be cleaned up as part of the car's mechanical overhaul.

H51 - manual

Given how much water must have gotten into the trunk over time, given the holes in the dutchman panel, the car must have had a trunk dress up package with the carpet mat rather than the vinyl one since the trunk floor looks pretty good. That will help in terms of someone saving it. I agree, at one time it was a stunning looking car especially with the red pin stripe originally. It does look like the original gunmetal interior too, and since it isn't torn, maybe the miles really are 58K (that material wasn't known to hold up that well with miles/time). But why all the mechanical work to the engine/trans in that interval? I agree that this would be a worthwhile car to invest some time/$$ in restoring.

Not mine. This car is for sale on eBay by member @mindshark13, who told me he'd be happy if I posted the link here.

I thought about getting the car as I love the color/interior combo (and the red stripes are a nice touch), but I decided to pass because the car needs more bodywork (in the roof/Dutchman panel mostly) than I want to handle at the moment.

The car is loaded. Here is the decode, courtesy of MyMopar.com:

C: Chrysler
H: High
23: 2 Door Hardtop

T: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
1: 1971
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

xxxxxx: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission

GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
H3A6: Trim - High, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat with Pull--Down Armrest, Gunmetal
000: Full Door Panels

917: Build Date: September 17
174736: Order number

V1A: Full Vinyl Top, Gunmetal Gray
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R22: AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps
M45: Fender Skirts
P31: Power Windows
P41: Power Door Locks
S61: Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7R: Accent Stripes, Red
P45: Power Deck Lid Release
R32: Dual Rear Speakers

View attachment 347304

View attachment 347295

View attachment 347296

View attachment 347305

View attachment 347297

View attachment 347298

View attachment 347306

View attachment 347307

View attachment 347308

Ya gotta wonder how such a nice car came to be so effed up. I see the A/C compressor is missing, the under-hood wiring looks trashed, and that dutchman panel and vinyl top scare me a lot. I betcha there is an engine or transmission issue which resulted in the car being parked. I think the car is a $1500 find - at most. What are they asking for it?

I already have two of those 71 New Yorker 2 doors, but if I needed another one (if I were younger, I would have surely "needed" one :rolleyes:) I would consider buying this one once I knew more about the rust spots on the roof and could confirm the miles are original. I wonder whether the seats have been redone since the material doesn't look original, but the sewing pattern does look correct. That makes me wonder whether the miles are more like 158K rather than 58K.

Eyes on the car might be wise before deciding how much it is worth.

But it would be killer when done if restored to as new condition.

Last edited:
Given how much water must have gotten into the trunk over time, given the holes in the dutchman panel, the car must have had a trunk dress up package with the carpet mat rather than the vinyl one since the trunk floor looks pretty good. That will help in terms of someone saving it. I agree, at one time it was a stunning looking car especially with the red pin stripe originally. It does look like the original gunmetal interior too, and since it isn't torn, maybe the miles really are 58K (that material wasn't known to hold up that well with miles/time). But why all the mechanical work to the engine/trans in that interval? I agree that this would be a worthwhile car to invest some time/$$ in restoring.

Yep, you can see remnants of the paperboard on the wheelwell. This is a great car! Is there a reason it doesn't have a fold down rear armrest? I believe they are standard on Imperial's, and my '71 New Yorker has one, which I don't recall being one the fender tag/broadcast sheet. I'll check, please chime in if you know why.

weird place for the spot lights and i don't see any control handles inside. this was a sharp looking car at one time.

So since there is no red stripe remaining on the car I would assume it has had a repaint.
Can someone show me a picture of what this would look like with a red stripe? A picture of another car with the same type of stripe in the typical black.

The pinstripes (two), approximately 1/8", top, and 1/16", bottom. Were mask applied by hand and sat just under the upper body crease. There are some examples on this site, sorry I can't direct you. There's a nice B3, light blue '71 New Yorker that still has them.

Yep, you can see remnants of the paperboard on the wheelwell. This is a great car! Is there a reason it doesn't have a fold down rear armrest? I believe they are standard on Imperial's, and my '71 New Yorker has one, which I don't recall being one the fender tag/broadcast sheet. I'll check, please chime in if you know why.

I am believing the more I look at that interior that it is not original and has been redone, and in the process the rear arm rest was just covered over rather than properly addressed in the process.
In looking closer at the roof in the very first photo, the roof looks pretty bumpy which suggests it might have significant rust under the vinyl. That would concern me. Can the seller say more about these issues since he is a member here? It matters in terms of what one might bid on the car.

There is bubbling. Could be a bad install of an attempt to redo the top at some point. Maybe not using the proper adhesive? Not sure. Other than the dutchman panel doesn’t seem to be any penetration of the roof skin. Ayilar recommended I post some pics of headliner areas. The dummy spotlights are only half shells and do not continue thru the A pillars. I guess an idea of the late owner who was well in to his 80s. He even had a spare set that he bought and put in the trunk. Still in the original boxes.
I remember my Grandfathers 63 Olds Starfire with the suicide knob on the steering wheel and those little odd touches that generation added to their vehicles. If I can answer any additional questions just ask. Or if someone needs a pic of something.

67FBD6D0-EFB3-425B-9FAF-ECC34FB7AFF0.jpeg

B744B63A-D917-44F0-A363-57280007C2D6.jpeg

DBA80D9E-4662-4546-A988-33C2C6AD9C9B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back