1972 Chrysler Door lights illuminate when applying brake and flash in synchrony when hazards are on.

NWPT70

Reaction score
As the title of the post states, I am having an odd issue with my 1972 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr ht. After removing my cluster (I bought a better replacement) I noticed the door lights illuminate whenever the brakes are applied and also when the flashers are on, they blink in synchrony with the hazard lights. The cluster is still completely disconnected and out of the car. Does any one have input whether this is a result of the cluster not being connected or is there something I touched to create the phenomenon that I should resolve before reinstalling the cluster? I don't want to reinstall the replacement cluster if I most troubleshoot this gremlin first. Any input would be much appreciated!

As the title of the post states, I am having an odd issue with my 1972 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr ht. After removing my cluster (I bought a better replacement) I noticed the door lights illuminate whenever the brakes are applied and also when the flashers are on, they blink in synchrony with the hazard lights. The cluster is still completely disconnected and out of the car. Does any one have input whether this is a result of the cluster not being connected or is there something I touched to create the phenomenon that I should resolve before reinstalling the cluster? I don't want to reinstall the replacement cluster if I most troubleshoot this gremlin first. Any input would be much appreciated!

The dome light is finding a ground path through the brake light circuit (they share the same fuse/power feed). Off hand, I'd say this is the result of the (now) ungrounded dimmer switch. If you wanted to be sure, you could remove the switch from the panel and install it into the harness. Then ground the switch body.

The dome light is finding a ground path through the brake light circuit (they share the same fuse/power feed). Off hand, I'd say this is the result of the (now) ungrounded dimmer switch. If you wanted to be sure, you could remove the switch from the panel and install it into the harness. Then ground the switch body.

Thanks for this input. I will give it a shot and will report back!

Grounding the body of the headlight switch unfortunately resulted in the same effect. The interior lights come on when the brake is pressed. I also noticed the reverse light are illuminated when the headlights are on. Any other recommendations?
@Carmine

Grounding the body of the headlight switch unfortunately resulted in the same effect. The interior lights come on when the brake is pressed. I also noticed the reverse light are illuminated when the headlights are on. Any other recommendations?
@Carmine

This is most assuredly a ground-path issue. I thought grounding the dimmer switch might be enough, but evidently not. Assuming this began when you removed the instrument panel, it could be almost any circuit tied into the brake lights (and now reverse lamps) that is finding a path to ground through the bulb filaments.

Off the top of my head, I know the brake lamps and dome lamps use the same fuse cavity, but don't know all the tie-ins to other circuits.

I could tell you one of two things:

1) Study the factory wiring diagram and look to see what else is on the malfunctioning circuit. Something else... Instrument Lamps for example, might use the same fuse as reverse lamps. Without the cluster being bolted in, they are finding a path to ground through the reverse lamp filaments. Ground the instrument lamps. But there are probably a half dozen others.

2) re-install the cluster, wiring, etc. As it was installed and I predict the problem (if not pre-existing before you removed the cluster) fixes itself.

Ok so I've done all this and reinstalled the Cluster. I now have working brake lights , interior lights, and hazards. The only interesting thing is when the headlights are on the reverse lights illuminate as well. Is this also something headlight switch related? Any advice is and has been much appreciated.

the switches ground to the cluster and the cluster grounds through the dash. that's why you had those problems. do you have the ground strap from the column to the dash connected?

the switches ground to the cluster and the cluster grounds through the dash. that's why you had those problems. do you have the ground strap from the column to the dash connected?

After reinstalling the dash the brake light and hazard light issue went away. (I also grounded the steering column) The only gremlin I am fighting is the reverse lights come on when the headlights are on. I am curious to know where the reverse lights get there power/grounds from?

Dunno about a 72, but I always thought it odd my 65 reverse lights come off the wiper switch IIRC. Time to study the wiring diagrams closely.

After a driving a while I noticed the I lost my dome light and the door lights are illuminating again when stepping on the brake, also no brake lights. I found that the 20 Amp fuse blew and any replacement blows immediately. My luck brings me a short. The fuse that blows is labeled hazards/stop lights.

While I had the dash apart I notice the headlight electrical connection had melted at one point. Could all my troubles be tied into this headlight switch?

While I had the dash apart I notice the headlight electrical connection had melted at one point. Could all my troubles be tied into this headlight switch?

That's a symptom of something else being wrong.

From reading all your other electrical issues in other threads, I think you've got some problems in the wiring harness that are giving you all this grief. They may or may not be connected....

You need to start at one end of the car, inspect and repair all wiring and grounds until you get to the other end. Pay special attention to the bulkhead connector, inspecting and cleaning (I recommend De-Oxit) the terminals there.

That's a symptom of something else being wrong.

From reading all your other electrical issues in other threads, I think you've got some problems in the wiring harness that are giving you all this grief. They may or may not be connected....

You need to start at one end of the car, inspect and repair all wiring and grounds until you get to the other end. Pay special attention to the bulkhead connector, inspecting and cleaning (I recommend De-Oxit) the terminals there.

Thanks for that input. Typically where is the bulkhead connector located? Engine bay side of the firewall?

Thanks for that input. Typically where is the bulkhead connector located? Engine bay side of the firewall?
That is how you are going to access it.

One other trouble spot is a connector under the steering column.

That is how you are going to access it.

One other trouble spot is a connector under the steering column.

Thank you for the insight. I am surely going to check both these connectors.

Back